Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
At least five pupils died and 42 others and one teacher were injured Wednesday following a hand grenade explosion at the Kihinga Primary School in Ngara, district of Kagera Region in northwestern Tanzania, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Police Commanding Officer Augustine Ollomi confirmed the incident to Anadolu Agency in a phone interview, saying the blast happened as the first-grade students were heading to their classroom.
"Three pupils died on the spot, while two others died at Rulenge Hospital while being attended by medical experts," Ollomi said.
Commenting on the initial investigation reports, Ollomi said one of the pupils found a hand grenade on his way to school and put it in his school bag, thinking it was scrap metal and he could sell it.
The dead students were aged 8 to 13, according to Ollomi.
Rulenge Hospital's principal physician, Dr. Mariagoreth Fredrick confirmed receiving five dead bodies and 42 injured pupils plus one teacher.
Kihinga Primary School is located along the Tanzania-Burundi border post.
Burundi has been embroiled in unrest since April 2015 when President Pierre Nkurunziza announced his candidacy for a controversial third term.
Since then, more than 400 people have been killed and tens of thousands have fled the country to seek refuge in neighboring states within the East African region.
Related news releases
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 01.05.201824 killed in twin suicide blasts in NE Nigeria
- 29.04.2018Suicide attack kills at least 5 in Somalia
- 28.04.2018Suspected jihadists kill more than 40 Tuaregs in Mali
- 28.04.20182 killed, 36 arrested in mosque raid in Uganda
- 27.04.2018Morocco to start full operation of world's largest solar power complex in October
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 07.11.2017DR Congo: Cholera killed over 700 in last 3 months
- 07.11.2017President declares state of emergency in central Sudan