Suspected jihadists kill more than 40 Tuaregs in Mali
A new outbreak of violence, which reportedly occurred in Mali, has resulted in scores of Tuareg civilians being murdered by suspected jihadists, APA reports quoting AFP.
According to the Reuters news agency, citing the governor of the Menaka region, suspected jihadists have conducted two attacks on local Tuareg civilians, what resulted in the death of at least 40 of them, including women and children. As the governor specified, the second assault took place in the distant desert villages of Awakassa on Saturday.
Previously, the AFP news agency reported, citing local sources, that over 30 Tuareg civilians were killed on Friday by suspected jihadists in northeastern Mali near the border with Niger.
Tribal leaders and representatives of a former Tuareg rebel group called Movement for the Salvation of Azawad (MSA) said that a similar attack also occurred the day before, when gunmen on motorcycles murdered 12 people outside the town of Anderamboukane.
"There have been 43 deaths in two days, all civilians, from the same community," tribal leader Sidigui Ag Hamadi from the regional capital of Menaka said.
"Our fighters are destroying their bases and wiping them out. They are targeting innocent civilians," he added, claiming that jihadists carried out the killings in retaliation for attacks conducted by armed Tuareg groups.
Menaka governor Daouda Maiga awaits the arrival of official observers on the scene before announcing the final death toll.
"There are various versions, but I know there are women and children among the victims, as well as elderly," he declared.
Since the beginning of 2018 jihadists carried out a number of attacks in various corners of Mali, killing civilians, soldiers of the local armed forces and peacekeepers from the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA).
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Sudan blocks world media from covering al-Sisi visit
- 17.07.2018Egypt targets social media with new law
- 16.07.2018At least 8 die of suffocation in truck with migrants in Libya
- 14.07.2018At least 58 injured as train derails in Egypt
- 13.07.2018Explosion sets off fire outside Egypt's Cairo airport, air movement unaffected
- 09.07.2018Ethiopia and Eritrea declare end of war
- 04.07.20187 policemen killed in Nigerian capital
- 01.07.2018270 migrants rescued off Libya coast
- 30.06.2018Three migrants die after boat sinks off Libya’s coast
- 27.06.2018Deputy leader of Libyan government reportedly kidnapped
- 27.06.2018At least 200 migrants rescued off Libya's coast
- 27.06.2018Nigeria fires police chief following weekend killings
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 29.04.2018Suicide attack kills at least 5 in Somalia
- 01.05.201824 killed in twin suicide blasts in NE Nigeria
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 28.04.20182 killed, 36 arrested in mosque raid in Uganda
- 27.04.2018Morocco to start full operation of world's largest solar power complex in October
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria