Sudan swears in new government
A new government was sworn in Friday following nearly three years of national dialogue initiated by President Omer Al-Bashir, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
At a ceremony at the presidential palace, 31 members of the new Cabinet took the oath of office in front of Al-Bashir who told the ministers to implement recommendations of the national dialogue, including political and economic reformation, establishing peace in conflict areas and improving the livelihood of the Sudanese people.
He said the formation of the new government is unprecedented in Sudanese history as it came out of a consensus of political parties.
“As we are witnessing the taking of oath of this government we say that this government is facing the main challenge of the implementation of the national dialogue recommendations,” Bashir said.
The national dialogue began in 2014 to facilitate political understanding and reformation while finding solutions to the countries economic crisis and civil war.
The new government was established Thursday with the participation of dozens of political parties and armed movements.
The majority of main opposition parties and armed factions refused to participate and boycotted the national dialogue citing a lack of inclusiveness and too much control by Bashir.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 17.05.201727 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- 19.05.2017Tunisia southern gas protests tense as negotiations falter
- 19.05.2017Suicide bombers hit Nigerian university
- 13.05.2017Democratic Republic of Congo hit by Ebola outbreak
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage