Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
Peace talks between the Sudanese government and rebel groups are set to resume later this month following an almost yearlong hiatus, Sudanese chief negotiator Ibrahim Mahmoud announced Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Talks between Khartoum on one hand and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM/N) and Darfurian rebel groups on the other broke down last August in the absence of any significant breakthroughs.
After a meeting with former South African President Thabo Mbeki, who now serves as chairman of the African Union High-Level Implementation Panel, Mahmoud said Khartoum was prepared to begin a fresh round of talks later this month.
Addressing reporters in the Sudanese capital, Mahmoud said the government was awaiting results of its recent contacts with rebel groups to begin direct negotiations.
“We hope to launch a new round of talks in late April,” he said. “We are currently awaiting a response to our overtures by the SPLM/N and the Darfur rebel groups.”
Nevertheless, the Sudanese peace process remains beset by a host of obstacles.
For example, the SPLM/N and the government remain in dispute over proposals for a “humanitarian corridor” through which aid might be delivered to rebel-held areas of Sudan’s South Kordofan and Blue Nile states.
The two sides also remain in dispute over a refusal by rebel groups to dissolve their respective fighting forces.
The warring camps recently implemented a raft of confidence-building measures in hopes of paving the way for renewed peace talks, including a six-month ceasefire and a prisoner swap.
Twelve previous rounds of peace talks failed to achieve any tangible breakthroughs.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry
- 11.04.2017Militiamen raid South Sudan's Wau, at least 16 dead: witnesses, U.N.
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town