Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
Somali authorities on Friday evening announced the death toll from last Saturday's deadly truck bomb attack in the capital Mogadishu had risen to 358, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"The attack claimed 642 victims, including 358 deaths and 228 injuries, with 56 other people also missing," Information Minister Abdirahman Omar Osman told a press conference.
A total of 122 seriously injured people were airlifted for medical treatment in Turkey, Kenya, and Sudan, he added.
Internal Security Minister Mohamed Abukar Islow said the government had arrested several people over the deadly attack.
Meanwhile, the Somali National Army retook control of the Mareerey, Sabiible and Anoole districts in southern Somalia's Lower Shabeelle region on Friday, according to the region's governor, Ibrahim Adan Ali Najah.
The militant group al-Shabaab, blamed for the deadly bombing, evacuated the districts after learning that a well-armed force was heading their way, he added.
Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire declared war against al-Shabaab after the truck bomb attack.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 07.11.2017DR Congo: Cholera killed over 700 in last 3 months
- 07.11.2017President declares state of emergency in central Sudan
- 06.11.2017Senegal: Road accident claims 25 Muslim pilgrims
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 02.11.2017Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
- 01.11.2017Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 26.10.2017Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight soldiers, one civilian in Nigeria's northeast: police
- 25.10.2017Road accident claims 11 lives in Nigeria
- 24.10.2017UN envoy arrives in Libya capital for unannounced visit
- 21.10.2017Morocco condemns Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy - UPDATED
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud