Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi said Wednesday his government -- elected in February this year -- had strategized to defeat the militant group al-Shabaab in two years.
“Al-Shabaab has been active in Somalia for the last ten years causing huge destruction,” Abdullahi said during a joint news conference in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa following a close session with Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn.
Al-Shabaab is intent on expanding its reach to neighboring countries, and that gives a reason for cooperation against the menace posed by the militant group, the Somali president added.
He praised the support provided in this regard by Ethiopia and Kenya as well as the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM).
“AMISOM has been working together with government and the sacrifices of [men in uniform] of neighboring countries will not go in vain,” he said, commending the regional collaboration against the al-Qaeda affiliated group.
Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn, for his part, said his discussion with the Somali president was on “major pertinent issues” including the fight against terrorism, the current drought that affects both countries as well as development cooperation.
“We sink or swim together," Hailemariam said. “We cannot thrive leaving other nations behind."
The prime minister added that lack of security in Somalia would ultimately affect neighboring countries by way of a spillover effect.
President Abdullahi’s Ethiopia visit coincided with the announcement of the recapture of Halgan province in Hiran region by the Somali National Army backed by Ethiopian troops.
“We entered a new chapter of wide ranging cooperation," PM Hailemariam said.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out