Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi said Wednesday his government -- elected in February this year -- had strategized to defeat the militant group al-Shabaab in two years.
“Al-Shabaab has been active in Somalia for the last ten years causing huge destruction,” Abdullahi said during a joint news conference in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa following a close session with Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn.
Al-Shabaab is intent on expanding its reach to neighboring countries, and that gives a reason for cooperation against the menace posed by the militant group, the Somali president added.
He praised the support provided in this regard by Ethiopia and Kenya as well as the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM).
“AMISOM has been working together with government and the sacrifices of [men in uniform] of neighboring countries will not go in vain,” he said, commending the regional collaboration against the al-Qaeda affiliated group.
Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn, for his part, said his discussion with the Somali president was on “major pertinent issues” including the fight against terrorism, the current drought that affects both countries as well as development cooperation.
“We sink or swim together," Hailemariam said. “We cannot thrive leaving other nations behind."
The prime minister added that lack of security in Somalia would ultimately affect neighboring countries by way of a spillover effect.
President Abdullahi’s Ethiopia visit coincided with the announcement of the recapture of Halgan province in Hiran region by the Somali National Army backed by Ethiopian troops.
“We entered a new chapter of wide ranging cooperation," PM Hailemariam said.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 17.06.2017Tunisian protesters end sit-in in Tataouine province
- 15.06.2017At least 20 people being held hostage in Somali capital after suicide attack - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 10.06.2017Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar
- 02.06.2017Children strapped with explosives kill nine in north Cameroon
- 01.06.2017Kenya: 8 killed in IED attack
- 01.06.2017Over 40 migrants reported dead in Sahara after truck breakdown
- 31.05.2017Russian president urges Europe to cooperate in fight against terrorism, not put forward mutual claims
- 28.05.2017Somali court sentences 5 insurgents to death for attempted bombings
- 27.05.2017Clashes after activist interrupts sermon in north Moroccan town
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out