Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
At least 14 people, including 10 civilians and four soldiers were killed during a violent clash when troops allegedly tried to snatch food aid from internally-displaced people in southwestern Baidoa city on Friday, according to police, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Baidoa is the capital of southwestern state, located some 250 kilometers (155 miles) southwest of the Somali capital, Mogadishu.
There are thousands of refugees from Kenya in the country; lately, internally-displaced people fleeing drought in Somalia have been pouring in Baidoa in search of food and support, according to UN.
Abdukadir Mohamed, a police captain in Baidoa city, told Anadolu Agency over the phone that more than 20 others mostly civilians were also injured in the clashes; 10 injured are said to be in critical condition.
“It was on Friday afternoon when an armed group of soldiers attacked humanitarian aid meant for internally-displaced people in Baidoa,” Mohamed said.
Southwest state President Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan told the media that an investigation had been launched into the incident, assuring that “soldiers behind this barbaric incident will be held accountable”.
Bay -- a region in southern Somalia -- has been hugely affected by drought and waterborne diseases such as cholera outbreak. At least 700 people died from a cholera outbreak that hit 13 out of 18 Somali regions since January this year, according to WHO and Somali Health Ministry.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 02.12.2017Twin suicide bombings kill 13 in northeast Nigeria
- 01.12.2017Death toll from Somalia truck bomb in October now at 512
- 01.12.2017Boko Haram razes village, kills at least 5 in Nigeria
- 28.11.201740 killed, dozens kidnapped in South Sudan cattle raid
- 28.11.2017Death toll in Egypt mosque attack rises to 309
- 26.11.2017Zambian troops arrive in Lesotho as standby force
- 26.11.2017Boat sinks off Libya, killing at least 31
- 25.11.2017Terrorist act in Egypt committed by ISIL
- 25.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 305
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 235 - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 184- UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Zimbabwe's new President Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 07.11.2017DR Congo: Cholera killed over 700 in last 3 months
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar