Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
At least 14 people, including 10 civilians and four soldiers were killed during a violent clash when troops allegedly tried to snatch food aid from internally-displaced people in southwestern Baidoa city on Friday, according to police, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Baidoa is the capital of southwestern state, located some 250 kilometers (155 miles) southwest of the Somali capital, Mogadishu.
There are thousands of refugees from Kenya in the country; lately, internally-displaced people fleeing drought in Somalia have been pouring in Baidoa in search of food and support, according to UN.
Abdukadir Mohamed, a police captain in Baidoa city, told Anadolu Agency over the phone that more than 20 others mostly civilians were also injured in the clashes; 10 injured are said to be in critical condition.
“It was on Friday afternoon when an armed group of soldiers attacked humanitarian aid meant for internally-displaced people in Baidoa,” Mohamed said.
Southwest state President Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan told the media that an investigation had been launched into the incident, assuring that “soldiers behind this barbaric incident will be held accountable”.
Bay -- a region in southern Somalia -- has been hugely affected by drought and waterborne diseases such as cholera outbreak. At least 700 people died from a cholera outbreak that hit 13 out of 18 Somali regions since January this year, according to WHO and Somali Health Ministry.
Related news releases
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 05.03.2018Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 24.02.2018Death toll from Somalia blasts rises to 45
- 24.02.2018Nigerian president calls Boko Haram abduction of schoolgirls 'National Disaster'
- 23.02.2018Double car blasts in Somalia kill at least 18 - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018More than 90 Nigerian schoolgirls missing after Boko Haram attack: sources
- 21.02.2018Mali: 2 French soldiers killed in attack
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 17.02.2018Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law
- 15.02.2018South African parliament to elect new president today
- 15.02.2018Zuma quits, ending scandal-plagued term as South African president
- 14.02.2018Sudan, S. Sudan resume cross-border trade after 7 years
- 14.02.2018At least 19 migrants killed in Libya car crash
- 14.02.201822 Nigerian students killed in road mishap
- 11.02.2018Over 10 Nigerian hostages rescued from suspected Boko Haram terrorists
- 10.02.2018Bombing at mosque in Libya's Benghazi kills two, wounds 75: medics
- 07.02.2018Tunisian soldier killed in helicopter crash
- 06.02.2018At least 30 dead in ethnic violence in northeast Congo
- 04.02.2018Russian MP warns new US nuclear doctrine heightens arms race risk
- 04.02.2018Miners' protest raises political temperature in Morocco
- 01.02.20185 dead, 39 injured in multiple explosions in Nigeria
- 31.01.2018Sochi talks end, constitutional committee to be formed
- 28.01.2018Gunmen kill at least 14 Mali soldiers in attack on army camp
- 28.01.2018Africa most affected by food insecurity, says UN chief
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar