Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
At least 14 people, including 10 civilians and four soldiers were killed during a violent clash when troops allegedly tried to snatch food aid from internally-displaced people in southwestern Baidoa city on Friday, according to police, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Baidoa is the capital of southwestern state, located some 250 kilometers (155 miles) southwest of the Somali capital, Mogadishu.
There are thousands of refugees from Kenya in the country; lately, internally-displaced people fleeing drought in Somalia have been pouring in Baidoa in search of food and support, according to UN.
Abdukadir Mohamed, a police captain in Baidoa city, told Anadolu Agency over the phone that more than 20 others mostly civilians were also injured in the clashes; 10 injured are said to be in critical condition.
“It was on Friday afternoon when an armed group of soldiers attacked humanitarian aid meant for internally-displaced people in Baidoa,” Mohamed said.
Southwest state President Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan told the media that an investigation had been launched into the incident, assuring that “soldiers behind this barbaric incident will be held accountable”.
Bay -- a region in southern Somalia -- has been hugely affected by drought and waterborne diseases such as cholera outbreak. At least 700 people died from a cholera outbreak that hit 13 out of 18 Somali regions since January this year, according to WHO and Somali Health Ministry.
Related news releases
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 02.08.2017At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash
- 01.08.2017Somalia says kills senior al Shabaab commander in raid
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 27.07.2017German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 26.07.2017New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar