Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
Five Malian soldiers and one civilian were killed in central Mali on Tuesday during an ambush on a convoy of the president of the High Court of Justice, the defense ministry said in a statement, APA reports quoting Reuters.
It was not clear who was responsible for the attack, but the high level target and army deaths point to the deteriorating security situation in Mali due to the growing reach of jihadist groups that roam country’s vast desert expanses.
The convoy of Abdrahamane Niang was traveling between the towns of Dia and Diafarabé in the Mopti region, about 500 kilometers (311 miles) northeast of the capital Bamako, when it was attacked.
“Mr. Niang and his wife were recovered by the army. However, we report 6 deaths: five soldiers of the Malian army and the driver of the Honorable Niang,” the statement said, adding that others had been wounded.
No other details of the attack were given.
The rise of jihadist groups -- some linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State -- continues to destabilize Mali, four years after French troops beat back an Islamist insurgency that began in 2012.
Around 4,000 French soldiers remain as part of Operation Barkhane, where they work alongside around 10,000 U.N. peacekeepers in Mali. But attacks on peacekeepers, aid workers and the Malian military are common.
Four U.S. Special Forces troops were killed earlier this month in neighboring Niger by fighters believed to belong to a local Islamic State affiliate operating out of Mali.
The G5 Sahel, an anti-terrorism taskforce of soldiers from Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mauritania, plans to launch its first joint operations this month to target Islamists in the Sahel.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 07.04.2018Somalia: Double car bomb attacks kill 3 in Mogadishu
- 06.04.2018Dozens killed in Nigeria clash
- 05.04.2018Consultations begin in Libya in advance of peace talks
- 05.04.2018Ministers meet in Sudan to resume Nile dam talks
- 04.04.2018Muammar Gaddafi's son found not guilty of murder of Libyan footballer
- 03.04.2018AU forces kill 30 al-Shabaab in Somalia
- 30.03.20188 people killed by bomb-laden vehicle in eastern Libya
- 29.03.2018Egypt election: Sisi 'set to win second term as president’
- 29.03.2018Sudan announcea three-month extension of ongoing ceasefire
- 28.03.2018Ethiopia selected a new prime minister
- 27.03.2018Sierra Leone's delayed presidential run-off set for March 31
- 25.03.2018U.S. says killed two 'terrorists' in air strike in southern Libya
- 24.03.2018Bomb kills two in Alexandria ahead of Egypt presidential vote
- 22.03.2018Deadly car bomb blast rocks Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 20.03.2018Gaddafi's Son Running for Libya’s Presidency
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 05.03.2018Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 02.11.2017Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 26.10.2017Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight soldiers, one civilian in Nigeria's northeast: police