Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
The bodies of seven migrants were discovered on Wednesday in a boat adrift off Libya while around 900 people were saved in operations in the southern Mediterranean, Italy’s coastguard said.
It was one of the most intense days of rescues recorded in the area in recent months and follows a sharp fall-off in the number of migrants reaching Italy.
A Coastguard spokesman said the seven bodies were picked up by a boat under the command of a European Union naval force operating in the Mediterranean. He had no further information about who they were or how they had died.
About 900 migrants were rescued in eight different missions, the spokesman said, adding that he expected they would be brought to Italy later in the week.
Migrant arrivals in Italy fell 30 percent in the first eight months of the year, the Interior Ministry said this week, thanks mainly to a sharp decline since July when Italy struck a deal with Libya to block would-be asylum seekers from setting sail.
As part of the deal, the Libyan coastguard has played a much more active role in preventing crossings. Earlier this week, it intercepted 299 migrants from sub-Saharan African countries on two rubber boats east of Tripoli, officials said.
Libya’s western shoreline is the main departure point for migrants trying to reach Europe by boat, many of them fleeing conflict or poverty.
The Interior Ministry said on Tuesday that between January and October, 111,397 migrants had reached Italy by boat against 159,427 in the same period in 2016. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) says that so far this year at least 2,630 people have died at sea trying to cross to Italy.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 01.05.201824 killed in twin suicide blasts in NE Nigeria
- 29.04.2018Suicide attack kills at least 5 in Somalia
- 28.04.2018Suspected jihadists kill more than 40 Tuaregs in Mali
- 28.04.20182 killed, 36 arrested in mosque raid in Uganda
- 27.04.2018Morocco to start full operation of world's largest solar power complex in October
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 06.11.2017Senegal: Road accident claims 25 Muslim pilgrims
- 01.11.2017Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali