Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
The bodies of seven migrants were discovered on Wednesday in a boat adrift off Libya while around 900 people were saved in operations in the southern Mediterranean, Italy’s coastguard said.
It was one of the most intense days of rescues recorded in the area in recent months and follows a sharp fall-off in the number of migrants reaching Italy.
A Coastguard spokesman said the seven bodies were picked up by a boat under the command of a European Union naval force operating in the Mediterranean. He had no further information about who they were or how they had died.
About 900 migrants were rescued in eight different missions, the spokesman said, adding that he expected they would be brought to Italy later in the week.
Migrant arrivals in Italy fell 30 percent in the first eight months of the year, the Interior Ministry said this week, thanks mainly to a sharp decline since July when Italy struck a deal with Libya to block would-be asylum seekers from setting sail.
As part of the deal, the Libyan coastguard has played a much more active role in preventing crossings. Earlier this week, it intercepted 299 migrants from sub-Saharan African countries on two rubber boats east of Tripoli, officials said.
Libya’s western shoreline is the main departure point for migrants trying to reach Europe by boat, many of them fleeing conflict or poverty.
The Interior Ministry said on Tuesday that between January and October, 111,397 migrants had reached Italy by boat against 159,427 in the same period in 2016. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) says that so far this year at least 2,630 people have died at sea trying to cross to Italy.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 07.11.2017DR Congo: Cholera killed over 700 in last 3 months
- 07.11.2017President declares state of emergency in central Sudan
- 26.10.2017Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight soldiers, one civilian in Nigeria's northeast: police
- 25.10.2017Road accident claims 11 lives in Nigeria
- 24.10.2017UN envoy arrives in Libya capital for unannounced visit
- 21.10.2017Morocco condemns Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 06.11.2017Senegal: Road accident claims 25 Muslim pilgrims
- 01.11.2017Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali