Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
The bodies of seven migrants were discovered on Wednesday in a boat adrift off Libya while around 900 people were saved in operations in the southern Mediterranean, Italy’s coastguard said.
It was one of the most intense days of rescues recorded in the area in recent months and follows a sharp fall-off in the number of migrants reaching Italy.
A Coastguard spokesman said the seven bodies were picked up by a boat under the command of a European Union naval force operating in the Mediterranean. He had no further information about who they were or how they had died.
About 900 migrants were rescued in eight different missions, the spokesman said, adding that he expected they would be brought to Italy later in the week.
Migrant arrivals in Italy fell 30 percent in the first eight months of the year, the Interior Ministry said this week, thanks mainly to a sharp decline since July when Italy struck a deal with Libya to block would-be asylum seekers from setting sail.
As part of the deal, the Libyan coastguard has played a much more active role in preventing crossings. Earlier this week, it intercepted 299 migrants from sub-Saharan African countries on two rubber boats east of Tripoli, officials said.
Libya’s western shoreline is the main departure point for migrants trying to reach Europe by boat, many of them fleeing conflict or poverty.
The Interior Ministry said on Tuesday that between January and October, 111,397 migrants had reached Italy by boat against 159,427 in the same period in 2016. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) says that so far this year at least 2,630 people have died at sea trying to cross to Italy.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Gunfire, 2 Blasts rock Somalia's Mogadishu leaving 3 Dead - Police
- 22.02.2018More than 90 Nigerian schoolgirls missing after Boko Haram attack: sources
- 21.02.2018Mali: 2 French soldiers killed in attack
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 17.02.2018Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law
- 15.02.2018South African parliament to elect new president today
- 15.02.2018Zuma quits, ending scandal-plagued term as South African president
- 14.02.2018Sudan, S. Sudan resume cross-border trade after 7 years
- 14.02.2018At least 19 migrants killed in Libya car crash
- 14.02.201822 Nigerian students killed in road mishap
- 11.02.2018Over 10 Nigerian hostages rescued from suspected Boko Haram terrorists
- 10.02.2018Bombing at mosque in Libya's Benghazi kills two, wounds 75: medics
- 07.02.2018Tunisian soldier killed in helicopter crash
- 06.02.2018At least 30 dead in ethnic violence in northeast Congo
- 04.02.2018Russian MP warns new US nuclear doctrine heightens arms race risk
- 04.02.2018Miners' protest raises political temperature in Morocco
- 01.02.20185 dead, 39 injured in multiple explosions in Nigeria
- 31.01.2018Sochi talks end, constitutional committee to be formed
- 28.01.2018Gunmen kill at least 14 Mali soldiers in attack on army camp
- 28.01.2018Africa most affected by food insecurity, says UN chief
- 25.01.2018Nigeria confirms 16 dead in Lassa fever outbreak
- 24.01.2018At least 27 dead in twin Benghazi car bombs
- 23.01.2018Egyptian army arrests former chief of staff over presidential bid
- 23.01.2018Morocco's king appoints five new ministers
- 23.01.2018Former football player sworn in as Liberia's president
- 19.01.2018Libyan forces launch operation against militants
- 19.01.2018Zimbabwe opposition leader Roy Bennett killed in U.S. helicopter crash
- 18.01.2018Egypt appoints new intelligence chief
- 17.01.2018Kidnappers abduct American, Canadian in Nigeria, two police killed: police official
- 17.01.2018Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 12
- 16.01.2018At least 20 dead as clashes shut airport in Libyan capital
- 15.01.2018Clashes in Tripoli kill 11, closes airport - UPDATED
- 11.01.2018Tunisian police clash with protesters in at least five towns
- 10.01.2018Tunisian police fire tear gas on protesters storming Carrefour market in Tunis
- 09.01.2018Madagascar cyclone kills 29, displaces thousands
- 09.01.2018Tunisian protester killed in clashes with police
- 09.01.2018Nigeria fighter jet crashes in anti-Boko Haram mission
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 06.11.2017Senegal: Road accident claims 25 Muslim pilgrims
- 01.11.2017Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali