Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
At least two people were killed and five others wounded in a car bomb blast which targeted a busy restaurant near the presidential palace in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu on Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Mohamed Ali Bulle, a police sergeant in the area, told Anadolu Agency by phone that a vehicle-borne IED exploded in front of Banooda restaurant.
“The wounded people were all civilians who were rushed to nearby hospitals for treatment,” Bulle said.
Banooda restaurant is frequented by Somali government forces and is in the heart of the city. It is about 250 meters from the presidential place as well as the country’s national intelligence agency.
Banadir regional municipality officials also confirmed the number of injured to Anadolu Agency.
Five hours earlier another car bomb hit Mogadishu’s Sai-piano neighborhood, killing one person and wounding two others.
No group has yet claimed responsibility but al-Qaeda affiliated organization al-Shabaab has carried out recent operations against Somali government officials.
On Tuesday seven people were killed and over 10 others wounded after a suicide car bomber targeted an army checkpoint in the same area, an attack for which al-Shabaab claimed responsibility.
Related news releases
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 07.11.2017DR Congo: Cholera killed over 700 in last 3 months
- 07.11.2017President declares state of emergency in central Sudan
- 06.11.2017Senegal: Road accident claims 25 Muslim pilgrims
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 02.11.2017Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
- 01.11.2017Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 26.10.2017Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight soldiers, one civilian in Nigeria's northeast: police
- 25.10.2017Road accident claims 11 lives in Nigeria
- 24.10.2017UN envoy arrives in Libya capital for unannounced visit
- 21.10.2017Morocco condemns Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 16.03.2017Four suicide bombers kill two in northeast Nigeria's Maiduguri
- 16.03.2017Ethiopia trash dump death toll rises to 113
- 15.03.2017East Libyan forces recapture oil ports