Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
At least two people were killed and five others wounded in a car bomb blast which targeted a busy restaurant near the presidential palace in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu on Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Mohamed Ali Bulle, a police sergeant in the area, told Anadolu Agency by phone that a vehicle-borne IED exploded in front of Banooda restaurant.
“The wounded people were all civilians who were rushed to nearby hospitals for treatment,” Bulle said.
Banooda restaurant is frequented by Somali government forces and is in the heart of the city. It is about 250 meters from the presidential place as well as the country’s national intelligence agency.
Banadir regional municipality officials also confirmed the number of injured to Anadolu Agency.
Five hours earlier another car bomb hit Mogadishu’s Sai-piano neighborhood, killing one person and wounding two others.
No group has yet claimed responsibility but al-Qaeda affiliated organization al-Shabaab has carried out recent operations against Somali government officials.
On Tuesday seven people were killed and over 10 others wounded after a suicide car bomber targeted an army checkpoint in the same area, an attack for which al-Shabaab claimed responsibility.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 20.05.2017Tunisia protesters shut oil transport pumping station
- 20.05.2017Death toll from Libya airbase attack rises to 140, defense chief suspended
- 19.05.2017Suicide bombers hit Nigerian university
- 19.05.2017Tunisia southern gas protests tense as negotiations falter
- 17.05.201727 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- 13.05.2017Sudan swears in new government
- 13.05.2017Democratic Republic of Congo hit by Ebola outbreak
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 08.05.2017Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 27.04.2017Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa
- 21.04.2017Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 11.04.2017Zambian police detain opposition leader
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 16.03.2017Four suicide bombers kill two in northeast Nigeria's Maiduguri
- 16.03.2017Ethiopia trash dump death toll rises to 113
- 15.03.2017East Libyan forces recapture oil ports