Road accident claims 11 lives in Nigeria
Nigeria's road commission has confirmed the death of 11 people in a motor accident on the Auchi-Okene highway in the central north state of Kogi, APA reports citing Xinxua.
Olusegun Martins, Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), who disclosed this to reporters in Lokoja on Tuesday, said 23 others sustained various degrees of injuries in the accident, involving a total of 34 people.
Martins said six of the victims died on the spot, while five others died in hospitals.
He said two vehicles, a trailer loaded with cows, foodstuffs and passengers and a Toyota Corolla car were involved in the accident.
He said all the dead victims were from the trailer coming from Abuja, Nigeria's capital city, while the driver of the car and its other occupants escaped unhurt.
Martins said the accident occurred when the trailer hit the car from behind before losing control and crashing into a nearby bush.
Nigeria is among countries of high death rates in traffic accidents, mainly due to careless driving, crumbling roads or invalidity of some vehicles used in public transportation.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 07.11.2017DR Congo: Cholera killed over 700 in last 3 months
- 07.11.2017President declares state of emergency in central Sudan
- 06.11.2017Senegal: Road accident claims 25 Muslim pilgrims
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 02.11.2017Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
- 01.11.2017Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 26.10.2017Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight soldiers, one civilian in Nigeria's northeast: police
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 24.10.2017UN envoy arrives in Libya capital for unannounced visit
- 21.10.2017Morocco condemns Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya