Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
Landslides and flooding claimed the lives of 18 people in the western region of Rwanda, triggered by constant downpours on Monday, officials said, APA reports quoting AA.
Over 100 people have been killed since heavy rains started in January.
“To mitigate the disaster effects, the ministry has supported the affected population and it comforted families whose members have been killed by disasters,” Minister of Refugees and Disaster Management Jeanne d’Arc Debonheur said Tuesday.
Since January, heavy rains have caused floods and landslides that have destroyed homes, schools, as well as roads and bridges across the country.
From January to the end of April, floods and landslides killed 116 people and injured 207, according to the Ministry of Disaster Management and Refugees.
They also destroyed 120 houses, 23 roads, seven churches, and killed 705 livestock, as well as destroyed 4,560 hectares of crops.
The most affected areas were the southern districts of Nyaruguru and Kamonyi, Rulindo District in the north, Ngororero District in the west and Gasabo -- one of the three districts that make up the capital city Kigali.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 01.05.201824 killed in twin suicide blasts in NE Nigeria
- 29.04.2018Suicide attack kills at least 5 in Somalia
- 28.04.2018Suspected jihadists kill more than 40 Tuaregs in Mali
- 28.04.20182 killed, 36 arrested in mosque raid in Uganda
- 27.04.2018Morocco to start full operation of world's largest solar power complex in October
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 07.04.2018Somalia: Double car bomb attacks kill 3 in Mogadishu
- 06.04.2018Dozens killed in Nigeria clash
- 05.04.2018Consultations begin in Libya in advance of peace talks
- 05.04.2018Ministers meet in Sudan to resume Nile dam talks
- 04.04.2018Muammar Gaddafi's son found not guilty of murder of Libyan footballer
- 03.04.2018AU forces kill 30 al-Shabaab in Somalia
- 30.03.20188 people killed by bomb-laden vehicle in eastern Libya
- 29.03.2018Egypt election: Sisi 'set to win second term as president’
- 29.03.2018Sudan announcea three-month extension of ongoing ceasefire
- 28.03.2018Ethiopia selected a new prime minister
- 27.03.2018Sierra Leone's delayed presidential run-off set for March 31
- 25.03.2018U.S. says killed two 'terrorists' in air strike in southern Libya
- 24.03.2018Bomb kills two in Alexandria ahead of Egypt presidential vote
- 22.03.2018Deadly car bomb blast rocks Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic