Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
At least five people were killed in separate incidents on Wednesday during riots that followed the general elections in Kenya, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Protests began after a press conference by opposition leader Raila Odinga during which the presidential candidate rejected preliminary results released by the electoral commission saying they were rigged.
He alleged that the commission's servers were hacked and fake figures in favor of the ruling party had been released.
The first incident occurred when protesters at the Mathare slums in capital Nairobi blocked traffic by lighting bonfires on the streets.
A police officer at the scene, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to restrictions over speaking to the media, said two people were killed during the riots.
"A policeman shot at a person who was helping a protester who had been stabbed with a knife. Both of them died," he said.
In a separate incident in Galole constituency in Tana River County along the Kenyan coast, five knife-wielding men attacked an election tallying center killing one person.
At least two of attackers were killed by police, said Larry Kieng, regional police coordinator.
Kenyans went to the polls on Tuesday to vote in a new government.
As of 9.00 p.m. local time (1800GMT), incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta is leading with 8,003,673 votes compared to Odinga’s 6,604,273 votes.
Related news releases
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 05.03.2018Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 24.02.2018Death toll from Somalia blasts rises to 45
- 24.02.2018Nigerian president calls Boko Haram abduction of schoolgirls 'National Disaster'
- 23.02.2018Double car blasts in Somalia kill at least 18 - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018More than 90 Nigerian schoolgirls missing after Boko Haram attack: sources
- 21.02.2018Mali: 2 French soldiers killed in attack
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 17.02.2018Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law
- 15.02.2018South African parliament to elect new president today
- 15.02.2018Zuma quits, ending scandal-plagued term as South African president
- 14.02.2018Sudan, S. Sudan resume cross-border trade after 7 years
- 14.02.2018At least 19 migrants killed in Libya car crash
- 14.02.201822 Nigerian students killed in road mishap
- 11.02.2018Over 10 Nigerian hostages rescued from suspected Boko Haram terrorists
- 10.02.2018Bombing at mosque in Libya's Benghazi kills two, wounds 75: medics
- 07.02.2018Tunisian soldier killed in helicopter crash
- 06.02.2018At least 30 dead in ethnic violence in northeast Congo
- 04.02.2018Russian MP warns new US nuclear doctrine heightens arms race risk
- 04.02.2018Miners' protest raises political temperature in Morocco
- 01.02.20185 dead, 39 injured in multiple explosions in Nigeria
- 31.01.2018Sochi talks end, constitutional committee to be formed
- 28.01.2018Gunmen kill at least 14 Mali soldiers in attack on army camp
- 28.01.2018Africa most affected by food insecurity, says UN chief
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group