Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
At least five people were killed in separate incidents on Wednesday during riots that followed the general elections in Kenya, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Protests began after a press conference by opposition leader Raila Odinga during which the presidential candidate rejected preliminary results released by the electoral commission saying they were rigged.
He alleged that the commission's servers were hacked and fake figures in favor of the ruling party had been released.
The first incident occurred when protesters at the Mathare slums in capital Nairobi blocked traffic by lighting bonfires on the streets.
A police officer at the scene, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to restrictions over speaking to the media, said two people were killed during the riots.
"A policeman shot at a person who was helping a protester who had been stabbed with a knife. Both of them died," he said.
In a separate incident in Galole constituency in Tana River County along the Kenyan coast, five knife-wielding men attacked an election tallying center killing one person.
At least two of attackers were killed by police, said Larry Kieng, regional police coordinator.
Kenyans went to the polls on Tuesday to vote in a new government.
As of 9.00 p.m. local time (1800GMT), incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta is leading with 8,003,673 votes compared to Odinga’s 6,604,273 votes.
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Fire guts Nigeria's biggest arts, craft village
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 02.12.2017Twin suicide bombings kill 13 in northeast Nigeria
- 01.12.2017Death toll from Somalia truck bomb in October now at 512
- 01.12.2017Boko Haram razes village, kills at least 5 in Nigeria
- 28.11.201740 killed, dozens kidnapped in South Sudan cattle raid
- 28.11.2017Death toll in Egypt mosque attack rises to 309
- 26.11.2017Zambian troops arrive in Lesotho as standby force
- 26.11.2017Boat sinks off Libya, killing at least 31
- 25.11.2017Terrorist act in Egypt committed by ISIL
- 25.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 305
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 235 - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 184- UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Zimbabwe's new President Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group