Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
At least five people were killed in separate incidents on Wednesday during riots that followed the general elections in Kenya, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Protests began after a press conference by opposition leader Raila Odinga during which the presidential candidate rejected preliminary results released by the electoral commission saying they were rigged.
He alleged that the commission's servers were hacked and fake figures in favor of the ruling party had been released.
The first incident occurred when protesters at the Mathare slums in capital Nairobi blocked traffic by lighting bonfires on the streets.
A police officer at the scene, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to restrictions over speaking to the media, said two people were killed during the riots.
"A policeman shot at a person who was helping a protester who had been stabbed with a knife. Both of them died," he said.
In a separate incident in Galole constituency in Tana River County along the Kenyan coast, five knife-wielding men attacked an election tallying center killing one person.
At least two of attackers were killed by police, said Larry Kieng, regional police coordinator.
Kenyans went to the polls on Tuesday to vote in a new government.
As of 9.00 p.m. local time (1800GMT), incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta is leading with 8,003,673 votes compared to Odinga’s 6,604,273 votes.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Morocco censures Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 13.10.2017Six soldiers killed in North Sinai attack: Egypt army
- 13.10.2017Somalian defense minister, army chief resign
- 11.10.2017Death toll from storm in South Africa reaches 8
- 11.10.2017Egypt sentences 13 to death for alleged 2014 violence
- 11.10.20171 killed 19 passengers rescued in Nigeria boat mishap
- 10.10.2017Nigeria: 10 killed in suspected gang shootings
- 09.10.2017Kenya: 37 killed in post-election violence
- 09.10.2017Kenyan military kills 5 al-Shabaab militants
- 08.10.2017Armed faction takes over protection of Libyan oil and gas complex, fresh concern over migrants
- 08.10.2017Gas explosion rocks Ghana's capital Accra, causing fatalities: government
- 08.10.2017Zimbabwean president to reshuffle cabinet next week
- 07.10.2017Cameroon army helicopters shot separatist protesters: witnesses
- 06.10.2017Nigeria Becomes #2 Sorghum Producer in the World
- 05.10.2017US soldiers killed in ambush in Niger
- 05.10.2017Attack in Mozambique leaves two police officers dead
- 05.10.2017American, Nigerien soldiers killed in ambush in Mali
- 04.10.2017South Sudan clashes leave nearly 100 dead
- 03.10.2017At least 17 killed in Cameroon separatist clashes
- 01.10.201742 illegal migrants captured in Tunisia
- 24.09.2017Supsected militants attack tugboat, leaving three dead in Nigeria
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group