Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
At least five people were killed in separate incidents on Wednesday during riots that followed the general elections in Kenya, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Protests began after a press conference by opposition leader Raila Odinga during which the presidential candidate rejected preliminary results released by the electoral commission saying they were rigged.
He alleged that the commission's servers were hacked and fake figures in favor of the ruling party had been released.
The first incident occurred when protesters at the Mathare slums in capital Nairobi blocked traffic by lighting bonfires on the streets.
A police officer at the scene, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to restrictions over speaking to the media, said two people were killed during the riots.
"A policeman shot at a person who was helping a protester who had been stabbed with a knife. Both of them died," he said.
In a separate incident in Galole constituency in Tana River County along the Kenyan coast, five knife-wielding men attacked an election tallying center killing one person.
At least two of attackers were killed by police, said Larry Kieng, regional police coordinator.
Kenyans went to the polls on Tuesday to vote in a new government.
As of 9.00 p.m. local time (1800GMT), incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta is leading with 8,003,673 votes compared to Odinga’s 6,604,273 votes.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Zimbabwe's president courts white voters ahead of election
- 19.07.2018Sudan blocks world media from covering al-Sisi visit
- 17.07.2018Egypt targets social media with new law
- 16.07.2018At least 8 die of suffocation in truck with migrants in Libya
- 14.07.2018At least 58 injured as train derails in Egypt
- 13.07.2018Explosion sets off fire outside Egypt's Cairo airport, air movement unaffected
- 09.07.2018Ethiopia and Eritrea declare end of war
- 04.07.20187 policemen killed in Nigerian capital
- 01.07.2018270 migrants rescued off Libya coast
- 30.06.2018Three migrants die after boat sinks off Libya’s coast
- 27.06.2018Deputy leader of Libyan government reportedly kidnapped
- 27.06.2018At least 200 migrants rescued off Libya's coast
- 27.06.2018Nigeria fires police chief following weekend killings
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group