Over 20 killed as herdsmen attack Nigerian communities
More than 20 people were murdered and 30 others critically injured in late Monday attack by herdsmen in Nigerian north central Benue state, the governor said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting AA.
“We have reports that over 20 people have been killed in Goma and Logo local government areas,” Benue Governor Samuel Ortom told reporters on Tuesday in the state capital Makurdi.
No fewer than 30 others were injured and taken to various hospitals, the governor added.
He said nine of the victims were livestock guards employed to implement the state's anti-open grazing law, which had pitted the government against herdsmen in the agrarian state known for herdsmen-farmers clashes.
Ortom blamed the violence on herdsmen, who he insisted were taking the “anti-open grazing law personal even when we have said that no ethnic group was being targeted”.
Moses Iyamu, the Benue police spokesman, confirmed the attack to Anadolu Agency by phone, saying: “While we are aware of the development, it is premature at the moment to say how many people were killed in the attacks…”
Herdsmen-farmers’ violence has become a serious security crisis in Nigeria, especially in the mainly agrarian north central or Middle Belt, with both sides often trading accusations.
Experts have blamed the crisis on the depleting Lake Chad and government's failure to urgently address the associated problems of scarce resources, leading to violent competition for land between farmers and herders.
Many state governments have responded to herdsmen’s alleged excesses with anti-grazing laws which the latter consider unfair.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Sudan blocks world media from covering al-Sisi visit
- 17.07.2018Egypt targets social media with new law
- 16.07.2018At least 8 die of suffocation in truck with migrants in Libya
- 14.07.2018At least 58 injured as train derails in Egypt
- 13.07.2018Explosion sets off fire outside Egypt's Cairo airport, air movement unaffected
- 09.07.2018Ethiopia and Eritrea declare end of war
- 04.07.20187 policemen killed in Nigerian capital
- 01.07.2018270 migrants rescued off Libya coast
- 30.06.2018Three migrants die after boat sinks off Libya’s coast
- 27.06.2018Deputy leader of Libyan government reportedly kidnapped
- 27.06.2018At least 200 migrants rescued off Libya's coast
- 27.06.2018Nigeria fires police chief following weekend killings
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 03.01.2018Egypt extends state of emergency for another 3 months
- 04.01.2018Roadside bomb kills police officer in Egypt's Sinai
- 04.01.2018Egypt detains 75 people in human trafficking probe
- 02.01.2018Egypt to resume flights to Moscow next month
- 31.12.2017Liberia's president elect vows to end corruption
- 29.12.2017Gunman kills seven outside Coptic church in Cairo suburb: ministry