New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
Suspected Christian militiamen killed two Moroccan peacekeepers from the United Nations mission in Central African Republic on Tuesday, the mission said, in the second deadly attack on Moroccan forces this week, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The peacekeepers were ambushed by suspected anti-balaka fighters in the town of Banagassou, 700 kilometers (435 miles) east of the capital Bangui, as they stocked up on water to deliver to the population, the mission said in a statement.
Thousands have died in an ethnic and religious conflict that broke out when mainly Muslim Seleka rebels ousted President Francois Bozize in 2013, provoking a backlash from Christian anti-balaka militias.
Tuesday's raid, which injured a third soldier, followed similar attacks by suspected anti-balaka fighters in the diamond-mining town in recent days, including one on Sunday that killed a Moroccan peacekeeper and left three others wounded.
The violence has prompted several humanitarian organizations to suspend their activities in Bangassou, where fighting in May killed at least 115 people.
It also points to the inability of the 13,000-strong U.N. force to contain violence in a country where government control barely extends outside the capital.
"I am shocked by these new losses of human life and I firmly condemn this flagrant violation of the right to life and of international law," mission chief Parfait Onanga-Anyanga said in the statement.
Violence has escalated in Central African Republic since former colonial power France ended its peacekeeping mission in the country last year, and despite a peace deal signed between the government and rival factions in Rome last month.
Related news releases
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 02.08.2017At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash
- 01.08.2017Somalia says kills senior al Shabaab commander in raid
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 27.07.2017German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes