New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
Suspected Christian militiamen killed two Moroccan peacekeepers from the United Nations mission in Central African Republic on Tuesday, the mission said, in the second deadly attack on Moroccan forces this week, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The peacekeepers were ambushed by suspected anti-balaka fighters in the town of Banagassou, 700 kilometers (435 miles) east of the capital Bangui, as they stocked up on water to deliver to the population, the mission said in a statement.
Thousands have died in an ethnic and religious conflict that broke out when mainly Muslim Seleka rebels ousted President Francois Bozize in 2013, provoking a backlash from Christian anti-balaka militias.
Tuesday's raid, which injured a third soldier, followed similar attacks by suspected anti-balaka fighters in the diamond-mining town in recent days, including one on Sunday that killed a Moroccan peacekeeper and left three others wounded.
The violence has prompted several humanitarian organizations to suspend their activities in Bangassou, where fighting in May killed at least 115 people.
It also points to the inability of the 13,000-strong U.N. force to contain violence in a country where government control barely extends outside the capital.
"I am shocked by these new losses of human life and I firmly condemn this flagrant violation of the right to life and of international law," mission chief Parfait Onanga-Anyanga said in the statement.
Violence has escalated in Central African Republic since former colonial power France ended its peacekeeping mission in the country last year, and despite a peace deal signed between the government and rival factions in Rome last month.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Morocco censures Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 13.10.2017Six soldiers killed in North Sinai attack: Egypt army
- 13.10.2017Somalian defense minister, army chief resign
- 11.10.2017Death toll from storm in South Africa reaches 8
- 11.10.2017Egypt sentences 13 to death for alleged 2014 violence
- 11.10.20171 killed 19 passengers rescued in Nigeria boat mishap
- 10.10.2017Nigeria: 10 killed in suspected gang shootings
- 09.10.2017Kenya: 37 killed in post-election violence
- 09.10.2017Kenyan military kills 5 al-Shabaab militants
- 08.10.2017Armed faction takes over protection of Libyan oil and gas complex, fresh concern over migrants
- 08.10.2017Gas explosion rocks Ghana's capital Accra, causing fatalities: government
- 08.10.2017Zimbabwean president to reshuffle cabinet next week
- 07.10.2017Cameroon army helicopters shot separatist protesters: witnesses
- 06.10.2017Nigeria Becomes #2 Sorghum Producer in the World
- 05.10.2017US soldiers killed in ambush in Niger
- 05.10.2017Attack in Mozambique leaves two police officers dead
- 05.10.2017American, Nigerien soldiers killed in ambush in Mali
- 04.10.2017South Sudan clashes leave nearly 100 dead
- 03.10.2017At least 17 killed in Cameroon separatist clashes
- 01.10.201742 illegal migrants captured in Tunisia
- 24.09.2017Supsected militants attack tugboat, leaving three dead in Nigeria
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 27.07.2017German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes