Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
A young man was killed Wednesday as political violence hit Kenya’s pre-election primaries, police said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
He was hit by a vehicle in Nairobi after being stabbed in clashes between supporters of rivals from within the ruling Jubilee Party of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
“After being stabbed by supporters of the other politician, the youth, who was in a company of another, ran towards the busy Thika highway and was hit by a vehicle,” Nairobi County Police Cmdr. Japheth Koome told Anadolu Agency. “He died on the spot.”
Clashes between the followers of politicians bidding for a place on the ballot papers in August’s elections have risen in recent days.
On Monday, the Interior Ministry said political violence had been recorded in 12 counties.
Last week, Kenyatta voiced concern about violence ahead of the election primaries.
Recent Kenyan elections have been marred by killings, particularly in 2007 when dozens of men, women and children were burned alive in a church and others were killed by machete-wielding gangs.
Wednesday’s primaries came as Kenyans prepare for the Aug. 8 elections in which they will select a president, lawmakers, county governors and ward representatives.
Most will be from the Jubilee Party or the opposition National Super Alliance under Raila Odinga.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 17.06.2017Tunisian protesters end sit-in in Tataouine province
- 15.06.2017At least 20 people being held hostage in Somali capital after suicide attack - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 10.06.2017Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar
- 02.06.2017Children strapped with explosives kill nine in north Cameroon
- 01.06.2017Kenya: 8 killed in IED attack
- 01.06.2017Over 40 migrants reported dead in Sahara after truck breakdown
- 31.05.2017Russian president urges Europe to cooperate in fight against terrorism, not put forward mutual claims
- 28.05.2017Somali court sentences 5 insurgents to death for attempted bombings
- 27.05.2017Clashes after activist interrupts sermon in north Moroccan town
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa