Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
A young man was killed Wednesday as political violence hit Kenya’s pre-election primaries, police said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
He was hit by a vehicle in Nairobi after being stabbed in clashes between supporters of rivals from within the ruling Jubilee Party of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
“After being stabbed by supporters of the other politician, the youth, who was in a company of another, ran towards the busy Thika highway and was hit by a vehicle,” Nairobi County Police Cmdr. Japheth Koome told Anadolu Agency. “He died on the spot.”
Clashes between the followers of politicians bidding for a place on the ballot papers in August’s elections have risen in recent days.
On Monday, the Interior Ministry said political violence had been recorded in 12 counties.
Last week, Kenyatta voiced concern about violence ahead of the election primaries.
Recent Kenyan elections have been marred by killings, particularly in 2007 when dozens of men, women and children were burned alive in a church and others were killed by machete-wielding gangs.
Wednesday’s primaries came as Kenyans prepare for the Aug. 8 elections in which they will select a president, lawmakers, county governors and ward representatives.
Most will be from the Jubilee Party or the opposition National Super Alliance under Raila Odinga.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 20.05.2017Tunisia protesters shut oil transport pumping station
- 20.05.2017Death toll from Libya airbase attack rises to 140, defense chief suspended
- 19.05.2017Suicide bombers hit Nigerian university
- 19.05.2017Tunisia southern gas protests tense as negotiations falter
- 17.05.201727 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- 13.05.2017Sudan swears in new government
- 13.05.2017Democratic Republic of Congo hit by Ebola outbreak
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 08.05.2017Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 21.04.2017Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 11.04.2017Zambian police detain opposition leader
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 11.04.2017Militiamen raid South Sudan's Wau, at least 16 dead: witnesses, U.N.
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa