Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
A young man was killed Wednesday as political violence hit Kenya’s pre-election primaries, police said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
He was hit by a vehicle in Nairobi after being stabbed in clashes between supporters of rivals from within the ruling Jubilee Party of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
“After being stabbed by supporters of the other politician, the youth, who was in a company of another, ran towards the busy Thika highway and was hit by a vehicle,” Nairobi County Police Cmdr. Japheth Koome told Anadolu Agency. “He died on the spot.”
Clashes between the followers of politicians bidding for a place on the ballot papers in August’s elections have risen in recent days.
On Monday, the Interior Ministry said political violence had been recorded in 12 counties.
Last week, Kenyatta voiced concern about violence ahead of the election primaries.
Recent Kenyan elections have been marred by killings, particularly in 2007 when dozens of men, women and children were burned alive in a church and others were killed by machete-wielding gangs.
Wednesday’s primaries came as Kenyans prepare for the Aug. 8 elections in which they will select a president, lawmakers, county governors and ward representatives.
Most will be from the Jubilee Party or the opposition National Super Alliance under Raila Odinga.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 07.04.2018Somalia: Double car bomb attacks kill 3 in Mogadishu
- 06.04.2018Dozens killed in Nigeria clash
- 05.04.2018Consultations begin in Libya in advance of peace talks
- 05.04.2018Ministers meet in Sudan to resume Nile dam talks
- 04.04.2018Muammar Gaddafi's son found not guilty of murder of Libyan footballer
- 03.04.2018AU forces kill 30 al-Shabaab in Somalia
- 30.03.20188 people killed by bomb-laden vehicle in eastern Libya
- 29.03.2018Egypt election: Sisi 'set to win second term as president’
- 29.03.2018Sudan announcea three-month extension of ongoing ceasefire
- 28.03.2018Ethiopia selected a new prime minister
- 27.03.2018Sierra Leone's delayed presidential run-off set for March 31
- 25.03.2018U.S. says killed two 'terrorists' in air strike in southern Libya
- 24.03.2018Bomb kills two in Alexandria ahead of Egypt presidential vote
- 22.03.2018Deadly car bomb blast rocks Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 20.03.2018Gaddafi's Son Running for Libya’s Presidency
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 05.03.2018Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa