Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
A young man was killed Wednesday as political violence hit Kenya’s pre-election primaries, police said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
He was hit by a vehicle in Nairobi after being stabbed in clashes between supporters of rivals from within the ruling Jubilee Party of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
“After being stabbed by supporters of the other politician, the youth, who was in a company of another, ran towards the busy Thika highway and was hit by a vehicle,” Nairobi County Police Cmdr. Japheth Koome told Anadolu Agency. “He died on the spot.”
Clashes between the followers of politicians bidding for a place on the ballot papers in August’s elections have risen in recent days.
On Monday, the Interior Ministry said political violence had been recorded in 12 counties.
Last week, Kenyatta voiced concern about violence ahead of the election primaries.
Recent Kenyan elections have been marred by killings, particularly in 2007 when dozens of men, women and children were burned alive in a church and others were killed by machete-wielding gangs.
Wednesday’s primaries came as Kenyans prepare for the Aug. 8 elections in which they will select a president, lawmakers, county governors and ward representatives.
Most will be from the Jubilee Party or the opposition National Super Alliance under Raila Odinga.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa