Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
A young man was killed Wednesday as political violence hit Kenya’s pre-election primaries, police said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
He was hit by a vehicle in Nairobi after being stabbed in clashes between supporters of rivals from within the ruling Jubilee Party of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
“After being stabbed by supporters of the other politician, the youth, who was in a company of another, ran towards the busy Thika highway and was hit by a vehicle,” Nairobi County Police Cmdr. Japheth Koome told Anadolu Agency. “He died on the spot.”
Clashes between the followers of politicians bidding for a place on the ballot papers in August’s elections have risen in recent days.
On Monday, the Interior Ministry said political violence had been recorded in 12 counties.
Last week, Kenyatta voiced concern about violence ahead of the election primaries.
Recent Kenyan elections have been marred by killings, particularly in 2007 when dozens of men, women and children were burned alive in a church and others were killed by machete-wielding gangs.
Wednesday’s primaries came as Kenyans prepare for the Aug. 8 elections in which they will select a president, lawmakers, county governors and ward representatives.
Most will be from the Jubilee Party or the opposition National Super Alliance under Raila Odinga.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Libyan forces launch operation against militants
- 19.01.2018Zimbabwe opposition leader Roy Bennett killed in U.S. helicopter crash
- 18.01.2018Egypt appoints new intelligence chief
- 17.01.2018Kidnappers abduct American, Canadian in Nigeria, two police killed: police official
- 17.01.2018Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 12
- 16.01.2018At least 20 dead as clashes shut airport in Libyan capital
- 15.01.2018Clashes in Tripoli kill 11, closes airport - UPDATED
- 11.01.2018Tunisian police clash with protesters in at least five towns
- 10.01.2018Tunisian police fire tear gas on protesters storming Carrefour market in Tunis
- 09.01.2018Madagascar cyclone kills 29, displaces thousands
- 09.01.2018Tunisian protester killed in clashes with police
- 09.01.2018Nigeria fighter jet crashes in anti-Boko Haram mission
- 07.01.2018Gunmen kill 13 in Senegal's Casamance region
- 06.01.2018Sudan closes border with Eritrea
- 06.01.2018Clashes break out near South Sudan capital in truce violation
- 05.01.20182 killed in armed confrontation on Libya-Tunisia border
- 04.01.2018George Weah certified as Liberia’s new president
- 04.01.2018Egypt detains 75 people in human trafficking probe
- 04.01.2018Roadside bomb kills police officer in Egypt's Sinai
- 03.01.2018Egypt extends state of emergency for another 3 months
- 03.01.2018Over 20 killed as herdsmen attack Nigerian communities
- 02.01.2018Egypt to resume flights to Moscow next month
- 31.12.2017Liberia's president elect vows to end corruption
- 29.12.2017Gunman kills seven outside Coptic church in Cairo suburb: ministry
- 29.12.2017Egyptian soldiers killed in rocket attack
- 29.12.2017George Weah elected Liberian president
- 28.12.2017Over 30 killed in renewed South Sudan clashes amid continued truce violation
- 27.12.2017Jabhat al-Nusra militants in Syria to be wiped out next year — Russian General Staff
- 26.12.2017Ugandan military says over 100 rebels killed in DRC
- 21.12.2017Egyptian President calls army, Interior Ministry to tackle terrorism in N Sinai
- 20.12.2017Cameroonian troops entered Nigeria without seeking authorization, sources in Nigeria say
- 19.12.2017Nigerian parliament probes hijab case
- 18.12.2017Ethiopia: More than 60 ethnic Somali civilians massacred
- 17.12.2017Fire guts Nigeria's biggest arts, craft village
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa