Libya Confirms Gaddafi Son’s Trial in February
“Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, former Prime Minister Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi and Gaddafi's former spy chief, Abdullah al-Senussi will be put on trial as soon as questioning is completed within the next month, as expected,” Maraghni said in a statement, APA reports quoting Ria Novosti.
The trial was originally set for September last year, but has been postponed in the light of Abdullah al-Senussi’s extradition to Libya from Mauritania as prosecutors hoped he could provide more evidence against Saif al-Islam.
Saif, 40, was considered the most likely successor to Col. Gaddafi and actively supported his father’s attempts to quash the Libyan rebellion in 2011.
Gaddafi’s regime was overthrown in October 2011 by opposition forces with NATO’s assistance after a seven-month civil war. Gaddafi, who ruled the country for almost 42 years, was captured and killed by rebels near his home town of Sirte on October 20.
Saif was captured in November 2011 by a militia group from the western mountain town of Zintan, where he has been held ever since.
He is also wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC), but Libyan officials have refused to hand him over to The Hague.
Saif and his lawyers have asked for a trial in The Hague as they are afraid that he could face death sentence if tried in Libya.
The Libyan authorities have promised Saif and former Gaddafi government officials a fair trial.
Related news releases
- 25.10.2016Four killed in anti-U.N. unrest in Central African Republic: U.N.
- 25.10.2016Three killed in twin suicide bomb attacks in Cameroon
- 23.10.2016Somali pirates free 26 hostages held for nearly five years
- 22.10.2016Cameroon train disaster toll rises to at least 60
- 22.10.2016Cameroon train derails; at least 55 dead, hundreds injured - UPDATED-1
- 19.10.2016Kidnapped Chibok girls refuse to leave Boko Haram
- 18.10.201640 confirmed dead in Nigerian town attacks: official
- 18.10.201619 militants killed in Egypt's Sinai raids: army
- 17.10.2016Egypt security forces kill ‘wanted fugitive’ in Cairo
- 16.10.2016Egyptian military kills 100 ISIS members In retaliatory strike
- 15.10.2016Mob attacks home of Nigeria’s Shia leader, 10 injured
- 15.10.201614 pro-gov't troopers killed in clashes with IS in Libya's Sirte
- 15.10.2016Islamic State kills 12 military personnel in Egypt's Sinai
- 15.10.2016Clashes in Somalia kill 11, displace 50,000: U.N.
- 14.10.2016Week of violence in South Sudan kills 60, government says
- 11.10.2016Morocco's king names PJD chief as new prime minister: party official
- 10.10.2016South Sudan says rebels kill 21 civilians in ambush
- 06.10.2016OPEC, non-OPEC producers plan informal meet in Istanbul to discuss Algiers deal: Algeria
- 05.10.2016Colombia’s wounded peace deal puts focus on FARC, risks international funds
- 04.10.2016Egypt says it killed senior Muslim Brotherhood leader in shootout
- 04.10.2016US partially lifts finance sanctions on Sudan
- 01.10.2016Car bomb blast kills 5 in Somali capital
- 01.10.2016Somalia demands explanation from US for airstrike
- 01.10.2016100,000 civilians trapped in besieged South Sudan town
- 29.09.2016U.S. accused of killing 22 in misdirected Somalia air strike
- 28.09.2016East Libya's General asks Russia for weapons
- 25.09.2016Strong earthquake strikes off near Tonga
- 24.09.2016Train Crash in Northern Algeria Leaves at Least 1 Dead, 90 Injured
- 24.09.2016More than 165 dead in Egypt boat tragedy
- 24.09.2016Dozens of South Sudanese soldiers sentenced to death
- 24.09.2016Clashes in central Congo kill at least 13
- 22.09.2016Over 100 killed in two-day violence in Congo
- 21.09.2016Congo death toll hits 44 in anti-Kabila unrest
- 20.09.2016Anti-government march turns violent in Congo capital, 17 dead
- 20.09.2016Six civilians die in ambush of Nigerian military escort
- 17.09.2016Central African Republic rebels kill 26 villagers: presidential spokesman
- 10.09.2016Tanzania earthquake kills 10 and injures 192
- 08.09.2016Nearly 40 dead, over 92,000 homeless in Niger amid flooding, OCHA Says
- 07.09.2016Road accident in Southwestern Egypt kills 18
- 04.09.2016Tension eases in Gabon capital after riots over disputed election
- 05.01.2013Egypt's cabinet reshuffle Sunday to include 10 new ministers
- 06.01.20135 Moroccans killed in plane crash in SE France: media
- 06.01.2013Police officer killed in Libya's Benghazi
- 05.01.2013Ivory Coast New Year's death toll rises to 64
- 05.01.2013Mali's Islamists withdraw cease-fire pledge
- 05.01.2013Different challenges in Central African Rep., Mali