Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta was announced as the winner of the presidential election on Friday, APA reports Anadolu Agency
Kenya's electoral body chairman Wafula Chebukati said: "I, therefore, wish to declare honorable Uhuru Kenyatta as president elect and honorable William Ruto as the Deputy elect"
Kenyatta, a businessman and the son of Kenya’s founding father Jomo Kenyatta won with 54 percent of the vote. The leader of the opposition Raila Odinga garnered 44 percent of the vote.
Five people were killed across the country in post-election violence that rocked opposition strongholds.
Kenya’s opposition leader Raila Odinga has rejected the election results, accusing the president's ruling party of hack the servers of the commission to rig the numbers in favor of Kenyatta.
using the credentials of Chris Msando, the murdered IT director of Kenya’s electoral body to
On Thursday, international election observers, such as former U.S Secretary of State John Kerry, termed the recent presidential and parliamentary polls in Kenya as credible.
Opposition officials have criticized these observers arguing that they had close relations with President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Morocco condemns Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 13.10.2017Six soldiers killed in North Sinai attack: Egypt army
- 13.10.2017Somalian defense minister, army chief resign
- 11.10.2017Death toll from storm in South Africa reaches 8
- 11.10.2017Egypt sentences 13 to death for alleged 2014 violence
- 11.10.20171 killed 19 passengers rescued in Nigeria boat mishap
- 10.10.2017Nigeria: 10 killed in suspected gang shootings
- 09.10.2017Kenya: 37 killed in post-election violence
- 09.10.2017Kenyan military kills 5 al-Shabaab militants
- 08.10.2017Armed faction takes over protection of Libyan oil and gas complex, fresh concern over migrants
- 08.10.2017Gas explosion rocks Ghana's capital Accra, causing fatalities: government
- 08.10.2017Zimbabwean president to reshuffle cabinet next week
- 07.10.2017Cameroon army helicopters shot separatist protesters: witnesses
- 06.10.2017Nigeria Becomes #2 Sorghum Producer in the World
- 05.10.2017US soldiers killed in ambush in Niger
- 05.10.2017Attack in Mozambique leaves two police officers dead
- 05.10.2017American, Nigerien soldiers killed in ambush in Mali
- 04.10.2017South Sudan clashes leave nearly 100 dead
- 03.10.2017At least 17 killed in Cameroon separatist clashes
- 01.10.201742 illegal migrants captured in Tunisia
- 24.09.2017Supsected militants attack tugboat, leaving three dead in Nigeria
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5