Ghana mine collapse kills 14
A 15-member rescue team was deployed on Tuesday to search for survivors after 14 miners died in a collapsed mine in Ghana’s Western Region on Monday, according to police, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Locals had managed to rescue three miners trapped in the collapsed old mining pit in Prestea-Huni-Valley district on Monday.
The government has outlawed small scale mining, which is commonly known in Ghana as galamsey. It is an unregulated industry patronized by many Ghanaian youth and Chinese nationals in the gold reserves of the country’s Western, Central, Eastern and Ashanti Regions.
Local youth usually move in to mine in the abandoned pits leading to disasters.
“We are trying to retrieve the bodies. There were a few survivors. Those who escaped death are the eyewitnesses so they briefed us that they were coming out [of the pit] when all of a sudden they heard the noise which means the pit caved in,” District Police Commander Supt Atsu Dzineku said, according to Accra-based Citi FM.
“It is an old galamsey pit and they sneaked in to operate when this happened,” Dzineku said.
Several illegal miners have died in Ghana in recent times after old and abandoned mining pits caved in.
Two people died in a similar incident in the Eastern Region in 2016.
Related news releases
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 05.03.2018Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 24.02.2018Death toll from Somalia blasts rises to 45
- 24.02.2018Nigerian president calls Boko Haram abduction of schoolgirls 'National Disaster'
- 23.02.2018Double car blasts in Somalia kill at least 18 - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018More than 90 Nigerian schoolgirls missing after Boko Haram attack: sources
- 21.02.2018Mali: 2 French soldiers killed in attack
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 17.02.2018Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law
- 15.02.2018South African parliament to elect new president today
- 15.02.2018Zuma quits, ending scandal-plagued term as South African president
- 14.02.2018Sudan, S. Sudan resume cross-border trade after 7 years
- 14.02.2018At least 19 migrants killed in Libya car crash
- 14.02.201822 Nigerian students killed in road mishap
- 11.02.2018Over 10 Nigerian hostages rescued from suspected Boko Haram terrorists
- 10.02.2018Bombing at mosque in Libya's Benghazi kills two, wounds 75: medics
- 07.02.2018Tunisian soldier killed in helicopter crash
- 06.02.2018At least 30 dead in ethnic violence in northeast Congo
- 04.02.2018Russian MP warns new US nuclear doctrine heightens arms race risk
- 04.02.2018Miners' protest raises political temperature in Morocco
- 01.02.20185 dead, 39 injured in multiple explosions in Nigeria
- 31.01.2018Sochi talks end, constitutional committee to be formed
- 28.01.2018Gunmen kill at least 14 Mali soldiers in attack on army camp
- 28.01.2018Africa most affected by food insecurity, says UN chief
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic