Ghana mine collapse kills 14
A 15-member rescue team was deployed on Tuesday to search for survivors after 14 miners died in a collapsed mine in Ghana’s Western Region on Monday, according to police, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Locals had managed to rescue three miners trapped in the collapsed old mining pit in Prestea-Huni-Valley district on Monday.
The government has outlawed small scale mining, which is commonly known in Ghana as galamsey. It is an unregulated industry patronized by many Ghanaian youth and Chinese nationals in the gold reserves of the country’s Western, Central, Eastern and Ashanti Regions.
Local youth usually move in to mine in the abandoned pits leading to disasters.
“We are trying to retrieve the bodies. There were a few survivors. Those who escaped death are the eyewitnesses so they briefed us that they were coming out [of the pit] when all of a sudden they heard the noise which means the pit caved in,” District Police Commander Supt Atsu Dzineku said, according to Accra-based Citi FM.
“It is an old galamsey pit and they sneaked in to operate when this happened,” Dzineku said.
Several illegal miners have died in Ghana in recent times after old and abandoned mining pits caved in.
Two people died in a similar incident in the Eastern Region in 2016.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Zimbabwe's president courts white voters ahead of election
- 19.07.2018Sudan blocks world media from covering al-Sisi visit
- 17.07.2018Egypt targets social media with new law
- 16.07.2018At least 8 die of suffocation in truck with migrants in Libya
- 14.07.2018At least 58 injured as train derails in Egypt
- 13.07.2018Explosion sets off fire outside Egypt's Cairo airport, air movement unaffected
- 09.07.2018Ethiopia and Eritrea declare end of war
- 04.07.20187 policemen killed in Nigerian capital
- 01.07.2018270 migrants rescued off Libya coast
- 30.06.2018Three migrants die after boat sinks off Libya’s coast
- 27.06.2018Deputy leader of Libyan government reportedly kidnapped
- 27.06.2018At least 200 migrants rescued off Libya's coast
- 27.06.2018Nigeria fires police chief following weekend killings
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic