Ghana mine collapse kills 14
A 15-member rescue team was deployed on Tuesday to search for survivors after 14 miners died in a collapsed mine in Ghana’s Western Region on Monday, according to police, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Locals had managed to rescue three miners trapped in the collapsed old mining pit in Prestea-Huni-Valley district on Monday.
The government has outlawed small scale mining, which is commonly known in Ghana as galamsey. It is an unregulated industry patronized by many Ghanaian youth and Chinese nationals in the gold reserves of the country’s Western, Central, Eastern and Ashanti Regions.
Local youth usually move in to mine in the abandoned pits leading to disasters.
“We are trying to retrieve the bodies. There were a few survivors. Those who escaped death are the eyewitnesses so they briefed us that they were coming out [of the pit] when all of a sudden they heard the noise which means the pit caved in,” District Police Commander Supt Atsu Dzineku said, according to Accra-based Citi FM.
“It is an old galamsey pit and they sneaked in to operate when this happened,” Dzineku said.
Several illegal miners have died in Ghana in recent times after old and abandoned mining pits caved in.
Two people died in a similar incident in the Eastern Region in 2016.
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Fire guts Nigeria's biggest arts, craft village
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 02.12.2017Twin suicide bombings kill 13 in northeast Nigeria
- 01.12.2017Death toll from Somalia truck bomb in October now at 512
- 01.12.2017Boko Haram razes village, kills at least 5 in Nigeria
- 28.11.201740 killed, dozens kidnapped in South Sudan cattle raid
- 28.11.2017Death toll in Egypt mosque attack rises to 309
- 26.11.2017Zambian troops arrive in Lesotho as standby force
- 26.11.2017Boat sinks off Libya, killing at least 31
- 25.11.2017Terrorist act in Egypt committed by ISIL
- 25.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 305
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 235 - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 184- UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Zimbabwe's new President Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic