Ghana mine collapse kills 14
A 15-member rescue team was deployed on Tuesday to search for survivors after 14 miners died in a collapsed mine in Ghana’s Western Region on Monday, according to police, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Locals had managed to rescue three miners trapped in the collapsed old mining pit in Prestea-Huni-Valley district on Monday.
The government has outlawed small scale mining, which is commonly known in Ghana as galamsey. It is an unregulated industry patronized by many Ghanaian youth and Chinese nationals in the gold reserves of the country’s Western, Central, Eastern and Ashanti Regions.
Local youth usually move in to mine in the abandoned pits leading to disasters.
“We are trying to retrieve the bodies. There were a few survivors. Those who escaped death are the eyewitnesses so they briefed us that they were coming out [of the pit] when all of a sudden they heard the noise which means the pit caved in,” District Police Commander Supt Atsu Dzineku said, according to Accra-based Citi FM.
“It is an old galamsey pit and they sneaked in to operate when this happened,” Dzineku said.
Several illegal miners have died in Ghana in recent times after old and abandoned mining pits caved in.
Two people died in a similar incident in the Eastern Region in 2016.
Related news releases
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 02.08.2017At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash
- 01.08.2017Somalia says kills senior al Shabaab commander in raid
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 27.07.2017German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 26.07.2017New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic