German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
A German military helicopter assigned to the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Mali crashed in the West African nation's desert north on Wednesday, killing the two crew members, the German military said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The Tiger helicopter crashed around midday about 70 km (45 miles) north of Gao, burning out completely with no survivors. The crash was reported by a second helicopter following in the mission.
"We have now certainty that two soldiers have given their lives in the service of our country," German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen told a news conference. The Germans were the first killed in combat since 2013 in Afghanistan, a military spokesman said.
Germany increased its commitment to the MINUSMA peacekeeping mission this year with the deployment of eight attack and transport helicopters and 350 additional soldiers to Mali where fighters with links to al Qaeda regularly target Malian soldiers and U.N. troops.
A German military officer in Berlin said there was no indication the helicopter had been downed by an attack.
"The reason for the crash is still completely open. There is no evidence at this point of any outside factors," Vice Admiral Joachim Ruehle, deputy inspector general of the armed forces, told reporters.
German military investigators will head to the scene on Thursday to search for the helicopter’s flight data recorder, he said.
Related news releases
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 02.08.2017At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash
- 01.08.2017Somalia says kills senior al Shabaab commander in raid
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 26.07.2017New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament