German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
A German military helicopter assigned to the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Mali crashed in the West African nation's desert north on Wednesday, killing the two crew members, the German military said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The Tiger helicopter crashed around midday about 70 km (45 miles) north of Gao, burning out completely with no survivors. The crash was reported by a second helicopter following in the mission.
"We have now certainty that two soldiers have given their lives in the service of our country," German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen told a news conference. The Germans were the first killed in combat since 2013 in Afghanistan, a military spokesman said.
Germany increased its commitment to the MINUSMA peacekeeping mission this year with the deployment of eight attack and transport helicopters and 350 additional soldiers to Mali where fighters with links to al Qaeda regularly target Malian soldiers and U.N. troops.
A German military officer in Berlin said there was no indication the helicopter had been downed by an attack.
"The reason for the crash is still completely open. There is no evidence at this point of any outside factors," Vice Admiral Joachim Ruehle, deputy inspector general of the armed forces, told reporters.
German military investigators will head to the scene on Thursday to search for the helicopter’s flight data recorder, he said.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Zimbabwe's president courts white voters ahead of election
- 19.07.2018Sudan blocks world media from covering al-Sisi visit
- 17.07.2018Egypt targets social media with new law
- 16.07.2018At least 8 die of suffocation in truck with migrants in Libya
- 14.07.2018At least 58 injured as train derails in Egypt
- 13.07.2018Explosion sets off fire outside Egypt's Cairo airport, air movement unaffected
- 09.07.2018Ethiopia and Eritrea declare end of war
- 04.07.20187 policemen killed in Nigerian capital
- 01.07.2018270 migrants rescued off Libya coast
- 30.06.2018Three migrants die after boat sinks off Libya’s coast
- 27.06.2018Deputy leader of Libyan government reportedly kidnapped
- 27.06.2018At least 200 migrants rescued off Libya's coast
- 27.06.2018Nigeria fires police chief following weekend killings
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 26.07.2017New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament