Gas explosion rocks Ghana's capital Accra, causing fatalities: government
A natural gas station in Ghana’s capital Accra exploded on Saturday evening, killing an unknown number of people, a government official said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
“Unfortunately there are some fatalities and we are working to have the numbers,” Deputy Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah told a local radio station. “There are quite a number also injured.”
He said the initial blaze was largely under control and that about 200 police officers had deployed to the scene.
The explosion at around 7:30 p.m. local time (1930 GMT) began at a state-owned GOIL liquefied natural gas station and spread to a Total petrol station across the street at the city’s Atomic Junction, a Reuters witness said.
Frightened residents ran from the explosion, which sent a giant fireball high into the sky above the city, and at least six fire trucks and several ambulances were deployed to the scene.
An explosion at a petrol station in Accra in 2015 killed around 100 who had sought shelter nearby from flooding in the country’s worst disaster in more than a decade.
Infrastructure in Accra, a city of roughly 7 million people, has failed to keep pace with population growth after years of rapid economic expansion.
A small unit on a tower building at Ghana’s Parliament also caught fire in July, although the blaze did not cause major damage.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 13.10.2017Six soldiers killed in North Sinai attack: Egypt army
- 13.10.2017Somalian defense minister, army chief resign
- 11.10.2017Death toll from storm in South Africa reaches 8
- 11.10.2017Egypt sentences 13 to death for alleged 2014 violence
- 11.10.20171 killed 19 passengers rescued in Nigeria boat mishap
- 10.10.2017Nigeria: 10 killed in suspected gang shootings
- 05.10.2017US soldiers killed in ambush in Niger
- 05.10.2017Attack in Mozambique leaves two police officers dead
- 05.10.2017American, Nigerien soldiers killed in ambush in Mali
- 04.10.2017South Sudan clashes leave nearly 100 dead
- 03.10.2017At least 17 killed in Cameroon separatist clashes
- 01.10.201742 illegal migrants captured in Tunisia
- 24.09.2017Supsected militants attack tugboat, leaving three dead in Nigeria
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 08.10.2017Armed faction takes over protection of Libyan oil and gas complex, fresh concern over migrants
- 09.10.2017Kenyan military kills 5 al-Shabaab militants
- 09.10.2017Kenya: 37 killed in post-election violence
- 08.10.2017Zimbabwean president to reshuffle cabinet next week
- 07.10.2017Cameroon army helicopters shot separatist protesters: witnesses
- 06.10.2017Nigeria Becomes #2 Sorghum Producer in the World