Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
Mohammed Mahdi Akef, a former supreme guide of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, died in a Cairo hospital on Friday at the age of 89, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In a brief statement to Anadolu Agency, Akef’s daughter Alia confirmed her father’s death, saying burial services would be held later this evening.
In a Facebook post made earlier Friday, Alia said, “My father is in the care of Allah. We all come from Allah and we will all return to Allah.”
Akef had been taken to central Cairo’s Al-Qasr al-Aini hospital following a rapid deterioration of his health, Brotherhood lawyer Abdel-Moneim Abdel-Maqsoud said in a press statement.
Born in 1928, Akef served as the Brotherhood’s seventh supreme guide, assuming the post following the death of his predecessor, Mamoun al-Hudaibi, in 2004.
After Akef resigned from the post in 2010, he was replaced by Mohamed Badie, the group’s current leader.
Akef was slapped with a raft of criminal charges following the 2013 coup against Mohamed Morsi.
Sentenced to 25 years behind bars in a court ruling that was later overturned, Akef was in the middle of a retrial at the time of his death.
Related news releases
- 18.12.2017Ethiopia: More than 60 ethnic Somali civilians massacred
- 17.12.2017Fire guts Nigeria's biggest arts, craft village
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 02.12.2017Twin suicide bombings kill 13 in northeast Nigeria
- 01.12.2017Death toll from Somalia truck bomb in October now at 512
- 01.12.2017Boko Haram razes village, kills at least 5 in Nigeria
- 28.11.201740 killed, dozens kidnapped in South Sudan cattle raid
- 28.11.2017Death toll in Egypt mosque attack rises to 309
- 26.11.2017Zambian troops arrive in Lesotho as standby force
- 26.11.2017Boat sinks off Libya, killing at least 31
- 25.11.2017Terrorist act in Egypt committed by ISIL
- 25.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 305
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 235 - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 184- UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Zimbabwe's new President Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 24.09.2017Supsected militants attack tugboat, leaving three dead in Nigeria
- 01.10.201742 illegal migrants captured in Tunisia
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo