Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
At least five people have been killed and several others went missing after heavy rains pummelled Tanzania's western region of Katavi, local leaders said Friday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Reports said that the heavy rains started in the area at around 2 a.m. local time, damaging dozens of houses in villages located in Mlele District.
Silasi Ilumba, Kasansa ward councilor said that people's properties and wild animals like baboons were swept off by the floods.
"Heavy rains started raining midnight when most people were asleep. Those rains caused floods which swept off people and wild animals, taking into account that the affected areas are close to Katavi National Park," the official said.
Ilumba said among the dead include three school children and five people are nowhere to be seen.
According to the local leader, 27 houses were completely swept off by floods, rendering more than 100 people homeless.
Elika Ntabagi, Kasansa ward executive officer, said that some people have been trapped as the roads are becoming impassable, hindering efforts to assist them.
"The challenge is caused by the fact that it has been raining on the mountain side, posing a catastrophic situation for people living in the lowland areas," he said, adding that district authorities have been informed on the disaster that needs an immediate response.
Authorities in the area have suspended classes in the area after a number of school buildings were damaged.
Issa Suleiman Njiku, Mlele District Commissioner said a rescue team has been dispatched to the affected areas to find survivors.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 20.05.2017Tunisia protesters shut oil transport pumping station
- 20.05.2017Death toll from Libya airbase attack rises to 140, defense chief suspended
- 19.05.2017Suicide bombers hit Nigerian university
- 19.05.2017Tunisia southern gas protests tense as negotiations falter
- 17.05.201727 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- 13.05.2017Sudan swears in new government
- 13.05.2017Democratic Republic of Congo hit by Ebola outbreak
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 08.05.2017Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 27.04.2017Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa
- 21.04.2017Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 11.04.2017Zambian police detain opposition leader
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 16.03.2017Four suicide bombers kill two in northeast Nigeria's Maiduguri