Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
At least five people have been killed and several others went missing after heavy rains pummelled Tanzania's western region of Katavi, local leaders said Friday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Reports said that the heavy rains started in the area at around 2 a.m. local time, damaging dozens of houses in villages located in Mlele District.
Silasi Ilumba, Kasansa ward councilor said that people's properties and wild animals like baboons were swept off by the floods.
"Heavy rains started raining midnight when most people were asleep. Those rains caused floods which swept off people and wild animals, taking into account that the affected areas are close to Katavi National Park," the official said.
Ilumba said among the dead include three school children and five people are nowhere to be seen.
According to the local leader, 27 houses were completely swept off by floods, rendering more than 100 people homeless.
Elika Ntabagi, Kasansa ward executive officer, said that some people have been trapped as the roads are becoming impassable, hindering efforts to assist them.
"The challenge is caused by the fact that it has been raining on the mountain side, posing a catastrophic situation for people living in the lowland areas," he said, adding that district authorities have been informed on the disaster that needs an immediate response.
Authorities in the area have suspended classes in the area after a number of school buildings were damaged.
Issa Suleiman Njiku, Mlele District Commissioner said a rescue team has been dispatched to the affected areas to find survivors.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 16.03.2017Four suicide bombers kill two in northeast Nigeria's Maiduguri