Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
At least two children were killed and three others injured on Saturday after explosion went off in a village in Kenya's Mandera county which borders Somalia, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
A regional government official David Mbeki said one minor died on the spot while the other succumbed to injuries at the local hospital in an incident which took place in Hareeralesa village.
He said the Kenya Defence Force (KDF) soldiers responded timely and took the injured to hospital.
"Two children were killed and three others critically injured after an explosion went off in a village. Bomb experts have launched investigations into the incident," Mbeki said.
The latest incident comes after a four month lull in terror attacks by Al-Shabaab militants from neighboring Somalia. The government has imposed a curfew in the region.
The government has also enhanced security along Mandera-Lamu border, which is prone to attacks due to its nearness to Somalia where the militants are based.
Kenya has introduced a raft of measures in its latest move to fight terrorism following the massacre among them closure of money transfer companies that are used by the Al-Shabaab to fund its activities.
Since Kenya sent troops across the border into Somalia in October 2011, northern and parts of eastern regions have been hit by a series of blasts, many targeting local security forces and humanitarian workers.
Several attacks believed to have been carried out by Al-Shabaab have occurred in Mandera, Wajir, and Garissa and Dadaab districts of northern Kenya even as the military reports gains against the Islamist group by capturing their military bases and killing scores of them.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 20.05.2017Tunisia protesters shut oil transport pumping station
- 20.05.2017Death toll from Libya airbase attack rises to 140, defense chief suspended
- 19.05.2017Suicide bombers hit Nigerian university
- 19.05.2017Tunisia southern gas protests tense as negotiations falter
- 17.05.201727 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- 13.05.2017Sudan swears in new government
- 13.05.2017Democratic Republic of Congo hit by Ebola outbreak
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 08.05.2017Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 27.04.2017Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa
- 21.04.2017Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 11.04.2017Zambian police detain opposition leader
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 16.03.2017Four suicide bombers kill two in northeast Nigeria's Maiduguri
- 16.03.2017Ethiopia trash dump death toll rises to 113