Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
At least two children were killed and three others injured on Saturday after explosion went off in a village in Kenya's Mandera county which borders Somalia, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
A regional government official David Mbeki said one minor died on the spot while the other succumbed to injuries at the local hospital in an incident which took place in Hareeralesa village.
He said the Kenya Defence Force (KDF) soldiers responded timely and took the injured to hospital.
"Two children were killed and three others critically injured after an explosion went off in a village. Bomb experts have launched investigations into the incident," Mbeki said.
The latest incident comes after a four month lull in terror attacks by Al-Shabaab militants from neighboring Somalia. The government has imposed a curfew in the region.
The government has also enhanced security along Mandera-Lamu border, which is prone to attacks due to its nearness to Somalia where the militants are based.
Kenya has introduced a raft of measures in its latest move to fight terrorism following the massacre among them closure of money transfer companies that are used by the Al-Shabaab to fund its activities.
Since Kenya sent troops across the border into Somalia in October 2011, northern and parts of eastern regions have been hit by a series of blasts, many targeting local security forces and humanitarian workers.
Several attacks believed to have been carried out by Al-Shabaab have occurred in Mandera, Wajir, and Garissa and Dadaab districts of northern Kenya even as the military reports gains against the Islamist group by capturing their military bases and killing scores of them.
Related news releases
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 07.11.2017DR Congo: Cholera killed over 700 in last 3 months
- 07.11.2017President declares state of emergency in central Sudan
- 06.11.2017Senegal: Road accident claims 25 Muslim pilgrims
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 02.11.2017Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
- 01.11.2017Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 26.10.2017Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight soldiers, one civilian in Nigeria's northeast: police
- 25.10.2017Road accident claims 11 lives in Nigeria
- 24.10.2017UN envoy arrives in Libya capital for unannounced visit
- 21.10.2017Morocco condemns Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 16.03.2017Four suicide bombers kill two in northeast Nigeria's Maiduguri
- 16.03.2017Ethiopia trash dump death toll rises to 113