Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
At least two children were killed and three others injured on Saturday after explosion went off in a village in Kenya's Mandera county which borders Somalia, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
A regional government official David Mbeki said one minor died on the spot while the other succumbed to injuries at the local hospital in an incident which took place in Hareeralesa village.
He said the Kenya Defence Force (KDF) soldiers responded timely and took the injured to hospital.
"Two children were killed and three others critically injured after an explosion went off in a village. Bomb experts have launched investigations into the incident," Mbeki said.
The latest incident comes after a four month lull in terror attacks by Al-Shabaab militants from neighboring Somalia. The government has imposed a curfew in the region.
The government has also enhanced security along Mandera-Lamu border, which is prone to attacks due to its nearness to Somalia where the militants are based.
Kenya has introduced a raft of measures in its latest move to fight terrorism following the massacre among them closure of money transfer companies that are used by the Al-Shabaab to fund its activities.
Since Kenya sent troops across the border into Somalia in October 2011, northern and parts of eastern regions have been hit by a series of blasts, many targeting local security forces and humanitarian workers.
Several attacks believed to have been carried out by Al-Shabaab have occurred in Mandera, Wajir, and Garissa and Dadaab districts of northern Kenya even as the military reports gains against the Islamist group by capturing their military bases and killing scores of them.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Libyan forces launch operation against militants
- 19.01.2018Zimbabwe opposition leader Roy Bennett killed in U.S. helicopter crash
- 18.01.2018Egypt appoints new intelligence chief
- 17.01.2018Kidnappers abduct American, Canadian in Nigeria, two police killed: police official
- 17.01.2018Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 12
- 16.01.2018At least 20 dead as clashes shut airport in Libyan capital
- 15.01.2018Clashes in Tripoli kill 11, closes airport - UPDATED
- 11.01.2018Tunisian police clash with protesters in at least five towns
- 10.01.2018Tunisian police fire tear gas on protesters storming Carrefour market in Tunis
- 09.01.2018Madagascar cyclone kills 29, displaces thousands
- 09.01.2018Tunisian protester killed in clashes with police
- 09.01.2018Nigeria fighter jet crashes in anti-Boko Haram mission
- 07.01.2018Gunmen kill 13 in Senegal's Casamance region
- 06.01.2018Sudan closes border with Eritrea
- 06.01.2018Clashes break out near South Sudan capital in truce violation
- 05.01.20182 killed in armed confrontation on Libya-Tunisia border
- 04.01.2018George Weah certified as Liberia’s new president
- 04.01.2018Egypt detains 75 people in human trafficking probe
- 04.01.2018Roadside bomb kills police officer in Egypt's Sinai
- 03.01.2018Egypt extends state of emergency for another 3 months
- 03.01.2018Over 20 killed as herdsmen attack Nigerian communities
- 02.01.2018Egypt to resume flights to Moscow next month
- 31.12.2017Liberia's president elect vows to end corruption
- 29.12.2017Gunman kills seven outside Coptic church in Cairo suburb: ministry
- 29.12.2017Egyptian soldiers killed in rocket attack
- 29.12.2017George Weah elected Liberian president
- 28.12.2017Over 30 killed in renewed South Sudan clashes amid continued truce violation
- 27.12.2017Jabhat al-Nusra militants in Syria to be wiped out next year — Russian General Staff
- 26.12.2017Ugandan military says over 100 rebels killed in DRC
- 21.12.2017Egyptian President calls army, Interior Ministry to tackle terrorism in N Sinai
- 20.12.2017Cameroonian troops entered Nigeria without seeking authorization, sources in Nigeria say
- 19.12.2017Nigerian parliament probes hijab case
- 18.12.2017Ethiopia: More than 60 ethnic Somali civilians massacred
- 17.12.2017Fire guts Nigeria's biggest arts, craft village
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali