Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
At least two children were killed and three others injured on Saturday after explosion went off in a village in Kenya's Mandera county which borders Somalia, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
A regional government official David Mbeki said one minor died on the spot while the other succumbed to injuries at the local hospital in an incident which took place in Hareeralesa village.
He said the Kenya Defence Force (KDF) soldiers responded timely and took the injured to hospital.
"Two children were killed and three others critically injured after an explosion went off in a village. Bomb experts have launched investigations into the incident," Mbeki said.
The latest incident comes after a four month lull in terror attacks by Al-Shabaab militants from neighboring Somalia. The government has imposed a curfew in the region.
The government has also enhanced security along Mandera-Lamu border, which is prone to attacks due to its nearness to Somalia where the militants are based.
Kenya has introduced a raft of measures in its latest move to fight terrorism following the massacre among them closure of money transfer companies that are used by the Al-Shabaab to fund its activities.
Since Kenya sent troops across the border into Somalia in October 2011, northern and parts of eastern regions have been hit by a series of blasts, many targeting local security forces and humanitarian workers.
Several attacks believed to have been carried out by Al-Shabaab have occurred in Mandera, Wajir, and Garissa and Dadaab districts of northern Kenya even as the military reports gains against the Islamist group by capturing their military bases and killing scores of them.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 17.06.2017Tunisian protesters end sit-in in Tataouine province
- 15.06.2017At least 20 people being held hostage in Somali capital after suicide attack - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 10.06.2017Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar
- 02.06.2017Children strapped with explosives kill nine in north Cameroon
- 01.06.2017Kenya: 8 killed in IED attack
- 01.06.2017Over 40 migrants reported dead in Sahara after truck breakdown
- 31.05.2017Russian president urges Europe to cooperate in fight against terrorism, not put forward mutual claims
- 28.05.2017Somali court sentences 5 insurgents to death for attempted bombings
- 27.05.2017Clashes after activist interrupts sermon in north Moroccan town
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 16.03.2017Four suicide bombers kill two in northeast Nigeria's Maiduguri
- 16.03.2017Ethiopia trash dump death toll rises to 113