Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
At least two children were killed and three others injured on Saturday after explosion went off in a village in Kenya's Mandera county which borders Somalia, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
A regional government official David Mbeki said one minor died on the spot while the other succumbed to injuries at the local hospital in an incident which took place in Hareeralesa village.
He said the Kenya Defence Force (KDF) soldiers responded timely and took the injured to hospital.
"Two children were killed and three others critically injured after an explosion went off in a village. Bomb experts have launched investigations into the incident," Mbeki said.
The latest incident comes after a four month lull in terror attacks by Al-Shabaab militants from neighboring Somalia. The government has imposed a curfew in the region.
The government has also enhanced security along Mandera-Lamu border, which is prone to attacks due to its nearness to Somalia where the militants are based.
Kenya has introduced a raft of measures in its latest move to fight terrorism following the massacre among them closure of money transfer companies that are used by the Al-Shabaab to fund its activities.
Since Kenya sent troops across the border into Somalia in October 2011, northern and parts of eastern regions have been hit by a series of blasts, many targeting local security forces and humanitarian workers.
Several attacks believed to have been carried out by Al-Shabaab have occurred in Mandera, Wajir, and Garissa and Dadaab districts of northern Kenya even as the military reports gains against the Islamist group by capturing their military bases and killing scores of them.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 07.04.2018Somalia: Double car bomb attacks kill 3 in Mogadishu
- 06.04.2018Dozens killed in Nigeria clash
- 05.04.2018Consultations begin in Libya in advance of peace talks
- 05.04.2018Ministers meet in Sudan to resume Nile dam talks
- 04.04.2018Muammar Gaddafi's son found not guilty of murder of Libyan footballer
- 03.04.2018AU forces kill 30 al-Shabaab in Somalia
- 30.03.20188 people killed by bomb-laden vehicle in eastern Libya
- 29.03.2018Egypt election: Sisi 'set to win second term as president’
- 29.03.2018Sudan announcea three-month extension of ongoing ceasefire
- 28.03.2018Ethiopia selected a new prime minister
- 27.03.2018Sierra Leone's delayed presidential run-off set for March 31
- 25.03.2018U.S. says killed two 'terrorists' in air strike in southern Libya
- 24.03.2018Bomb kills two in Alexandria ahead of Egypt presidential vote
- 22.03.2018Deadly car bomb blast rocks Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 20.03.2018Gaddafi's Son Running for Libya’s Presidency
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 05.03.2018Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 24.02.2018Death toll from Somalia blasts rises to 45
- 24.02.2018Nigerian president calls Boko Haram abduction of schoolgirls 'National Disaster'
- 23.02.2018Double car blasts in Somalia kill at least 18 - UPDATED
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 16.03.2017Four suicide bombers kill two in northeast Nigeria's Maiduguri
- 16.03.2017Ethiopia trash dump death toll rises to 113