Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
Egypt's parliament on Tuesday voted to impose a three-month countrywide state of emergency after two deadly church bombings on Sunday left at least 45 Coptic-Christian worshippers dead, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"Parliament Speaker Ali Abdel Aal has announced the assembly’s unanimous approval of the state of emergency," state television reported.
Addressing MPs, Prime Minister Sharif Ismail justified the move, which he said came as part of “the state’s ongoing efforts to eradicate terrorism”.
On Monday, Egypt’s cabinet endorsed a presidential decree calling for the imposition of the state of emergency.
In a statement, the government said the state of emergency had technically gone into effect on Monday at 13:00 local time (1100 GMT).
Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi first called for the state of emergency after twin church attacks left 45 people dead -- and scores more injured -- in the cities of Tanta and Alexandria.
The Daesh terrorist group claimed responsibility for the deadly bombings, which occurred as Coptic Christians marked the Palm Sunday holiday.
The state of emergency allows the authorities to adopt a raft of exceptional measures, including the referral of terrorism suspects to state security courts, the imposition of curfews and restrictions on media.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 17.06.2017Tunisian protesters end sit-in in Tataouine province
- 15.06.2017At least 20 people being held hostage in Somali capital after suicide attack - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 10.06.2017Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar
- 02.06.2017Children strapped with explosives kill nine in north Cameroon
- 01.06.2017Kenya: 8 killed in IED attack
- 01.06.2017Over 40 migrants reported dead in Sahara after truck breakdown
- 31.05.2017Russian president urges Europe to cooperate in fight against terrorism, not put forward mutual claims
- 28.05.2017Somali court sentences 5 insurgents to death for attempted bombings
- 27.05.2017Clashes after activist interrupts sermon in north Moroccan town
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 11.04.2017Zambian police detain opposition leader
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 11.04.2017Militiamen raid South Sudan's Wau, at least 16 dead: witnesses, U.N.
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator