Egypt's border security busts 7 tons of marijuana
The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
Related news releases
- 30.08.20163 gunmen killed, 2 police injured in clashes in Sinai
- 29.08.20163 soldiers killed in militant attack in western Tunisia
- 25.08.2016Al Shabaab militants bomb Somali beach restaurant, gunfight ongoing
- 25.08.2016Army kills terrorist in northern Algeria
- 24.08.2016US military deploys SuperCobra attack helicopters to Libya
- 23.08.2016Clashes in NE South Sudan leave 153 dead
- 23.08.2016Nigerian police arrest 'Boko Haram spiritual head'
- 23.08.2016Libyan forces say they capture mosque, prison from Islamic State in Sirte
- 20.08.2016Tunisian premier names government, appoints new finance minister
- 20.08.201610 military personnel die in South Africa bus crash
- 17.08.2016Zambia arrests 150 opposition activists over poll protest
- 16.08.2016Sudan ceasefire talks collapse after less than a week
- 13.08.2016UN Security Council Passes Resolution to Send 4,000 Troops to South Sudan
- 06.08.2016At least 1 dead, 16 injured in Morocco building collapse
- 05.08.2016Egypt military says killed leader of Islamic State in Sinai
- 03.08.2016800 militants join Nigerian de-radicalization program
- 02.08.2016Benghazi car bombing kills at least 23 people, dozens more injured
- 30.07.201637 injured in foiled Morocco mass jailbreak
- 30.07.2016Libyan forces battle Islamic State snipers for streets of Sirte
- 30.07.2016Rebels say kill nine Angolan soldiers in oil-rich Cabinda enclave
- 28.07.2016Mali arrests leader of Islamist group linked to deadly attack on troops
- 25.07.201639 people killed by fire in Madagascar
- 23.07.2016Fourteen bodies found after 'execution' in Benghazi, Libya
- 20.07.2016Tunisia’s president extends nationwide state of emergency
- 16.07.2016Somalia suspends school linked to failed Turkish coup
- 14.07.2016Mali World Heritage site in danger: UNESCO
- 12.07.201612 dead in Zambian bus crash
- 11.07.2016South Sudan leaders order ceasefire as civil war fears grow
- 09.07.2016Zimbabwe's Mugabe says pay delay is no reason for strike
- 06.07.2016Kidnapped Sierra Leonean diplomat released in Nigeria
- 05.07.201630 killed, 40 injured in central Tanzania road accident
- 02.07.2016Libyan forces battle Islamic State street-to-street in Sirte
- 30.06.2016Roadside bomb hits bus, kills 17 in Somali capital
- 30.06.2016Double suicide attacks kill at least 28 in Cameroon
- 25.06.2016Gunmen storm hotel in Mogadishu, Somali official says
- 25.06.2016Nigerian military kills 10 Boko Haram fighters in NE state
- 23.06.2016Protesters target shops owned by expats in South Africa
- 22.06.2016Armenia to ask Pope Francis to open Vatican secret archives on Armenian ‘genocide’
- 21.06.2016Libya conflict: At least 25 dead in weapons store explosion
- 21.06.2016Seven Egyptians abducted in Libya: Foreign Ministry
- 16.06.2013Egypt's Morsi cuts ties with Syria
- 18.06.2013Clashes erupt in south Lebanon amid tensions
- 19.06.201313 die, 14 missing in Nepal due to floods and landslides
- 15.06.2013Egypt arrests man over spying for Israel
- 15.06.2013UN chief urges Egypt, Ethiopia to resolve differences on dam project through dialogue
- 15.06.2013Khartoum says damaged oil pipeline fixed