Egypt's border security busts 7 tons of marijuana
The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
Related news releases
- 25.09.2016Strong earthquake strikes off near Tonga
- 24.09.2016Train Crash in Northern Algeria Leaves at Least 1 Dead, 90 Injured
- 24.09.2016More than 165 dead in Egypt boat tragedy
- 24.09.2016Dozens of South Sudanese soldiers sentenced to death
- 24.09.2016Clashes in central Congo kill at least 13
- 22.09.2016Over 100 killed in two-day violence in Congo
- 21.09.2016Congo death toll hits 44 in anti-Kabila unrest
- 20.09.2016Anti-government march turns violent in Congo capital, 17 dead
- 20.09.2016Six civilians die in ambush of Nigerian military escort
- 17.09.2016Central African Republic rebels kill 26 villagers: presidential spokesman
- 10.09.2016Tanzania earthquake kills 10 and injures 192
- 08.09.2016Nearly 40 dead, over 92,000 homeless in Niger amid flooding, OCHA Says
- 07.09.2016Road accident in Southwestern Egypt kills 18
- 04.09.2016Tension eases in Gabon capital after riots over disputed election
- 02.09.2016Somali government recruits troops amid terror attacks
- 01.09.2016U.S. resumes scheduled passenger flights to Cuba after more than 50 years
- 01.09.2016Gabon's President Bongo re-elected, parliament set on fire
- 30.08.20163 gunmen killed, 2 police injured in clashes in Sinai
- 29.08.20163 soldiers killed in militant attack in western Tunisia
- 25.08.2016Al Shabaab militants bomb Somali beach restaurant, gunfight ongoing
- 25.08.2016Army kills terrorist in northern Algeria
- 24.08.2016US military deploys SuperCobra attack helicopters to Libya
- 23.08.2016Clashes in NE South Sudan leave 153 dead
- 23.08.2016Nigerian police arrest 'Boko Haram spiritual head'
- 23.08.2016Libyan forces say they capture mosque, prison from Islamic State in Sirte
- 20.08.2016Tunisian premier names government, appoints new finance minister
- 20.08.201610 military personnel die in South Africa bus crash
- 17.08.2016Zambia arrests 150 opposition activists over poll protest
- 16.08.2016Sudan ceasefire talks collapse after less than a week
- 13.08.2016UN Security Council Passes Resolution to Send 4,000 Troops to South Sudan
- 06.08.2016At least 1 dead, 16 injured in Morocco building collapse
- 05.08.2016Egypt military says killed leader of Islamic State in Sinai
- 03.08.2016800 militants join Nigerian de-radicalization program
- 02.08.2016Benghazi car bombing kills at least 23 people, dozens more injured
- 30.07.201637 injured in foiled Morocco mass jailbreak
- 30.07.2016Libyan forces battle Islamic State snipers for streets of Sirte
- 30.07.2016Rebels say kill nine Angolan soldiers in oil-rich Cabinda enclave
- 28.07.2016Mali arrests leader of Islamist group linked to deadly attack on troops
- 25.07.201639 people killed by fire in Madagascar
- 23.07.2016Fourteen bodies found after 'execution' in Benghazi, Libya
- 16.06.2013Egypt's Morsi cuts ties with Syria
- 18.06.2013Clashes erupt in south Lebanon amid tensions
- 19.06.201313 die, 14 missing in Nepal due to floods and landslides
- 15.06.2013Egypt arrests man over spying for Israel
- 15.06.2013UN chief urges Egypt, Ethiopia to resolve differences on dam project through dialogue
- 15.06.2013Khartoum says damaged oil pipeline fixed