Egypt's border security busts 7 tons of marijuana
The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
Related news releases
- 06.12.2016Building collapses in Senegal capital, kills 4 children
- 04.12.2016Egypt Supreme Court rules parts of protest law unconstitutional
- 03.12.2016Morocco arrests suspected militant involved in French plot
- 03.12.2016Angola's Dos Santos not up for re-election in 2017
- 03.12.2016Gambia's President Jammeh concedes defeat in December 1 election
- 27.11.2016Algeria declares eight days of national mourning for Fidel Castro
- 27.11.2016South Sudan agrees to additional UN force deployment in Capital
- 26.11.2016Egypt has not sent troops to Syria: Military source
- 24.11.2016Fighting in Central African Republic kills 16 people
- 22.11.2016Egypt court overturns life sentence against ex-president Mursi
- 22.11.2016Cholera kills 44 people in South Sudan in six months
- 21.11.2016Three children killed in blast in east Libya's Benghazi: hospital official
- 18.11.2016Nigerian troops nab 37 Boko Haram suspects in SW states
- 18.11.2016Mozambique fuel truck explodes, killing 73
- 17.11.2016Egypt pardons 82 prisoners, mostly students
- 17.11.2016Tunisia dismantles a jihadist cell planning attacks in the capital
- 17.11.2016At least 20 troops dead in fighting in Libya's Benghazi, hospital says
- 16.11.2016Egyptian policeman gets life sentence for killing man over cup of tea
- 15.11.2016Car bomb injures 15 in Libya’s Benghazi
- 15.11.2016Nigerian police, Shi'ite Muslims clash in Kano state, at least nine dead
- 12.11.2016Egypt imposes big security clampdown, protests fail to materialize
- 08.11.2016Up to 35 killed in raid on Nigerian mining community
- 08.11.2016Fighting in Somalia's Galkayo city kills 29
- 06.11.2016Al Shabaab claims fatal car bomb attack near Somali parliament
- 05.11.2016Suicide blast near Somali parliament kills 2 policemen
- 05.11.2016Egyptian brigadier general killed in terror attack in Sinai
- 05.11.20162 terrorists killed in northern Algeria
- 03.11.2016239 refugees drown after 2 ships sink off Libya
- 03.11.2016Militants attack oil pipeline in Niger Delta
- 01.11.2016Ethiopian parliament approves appointment of new cabinet members
- 01.11.2016Egypt supports Saudi nominee as new OIC chief
- 30.10.2016Suicide blasts kill nine, injure 24 in Nigeria
- 29.10.2016Dozens killed in new violence in CAR
- 27.10.2016Man shot dead outside US embassy in Kenya
- 25.10.2016Four killed in anti-U.N. unrest in Central African Republic: U.N.
- 25.10.2016Three killed in twin suicide bomb attacks in Cameroon
- 23.10.2016Somali pirates free 26 hostages held for nearly five years
- 22.10.2016Cameroon train disaster toll rises to at least 60
- 22.10.2016Cameroon train derails; at least 55 dead, hundreds injured - UPDATED-1
- 19.10.2016Kidnapped Chibok girls refuse to leave Boko Haram
- 16.06.2013Egypt's Morsi cuts ties with Syria
- 18.06.2013Clashes erupt in south Lebanon amid tensions
- 19.06.201313 die, 14 missing in Nepal due to floods and landslides
- 15.06.2013Egypt arrests man over spying for Israel
- 15.06.2013UN chief urges Egypt, Ethiopia to resolve differences on dam project through dialogue
- 15.06.2013Khartoum says damaged oil pipeline fixed