Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
A miner was killed and five others were injured in clashes that erupted on Monday in a gold-rich area of Sudan’s northern River Nile State, according to local government officials, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Abdul Moneim al-Saim, commissioner of the Barbar locality in which the incident occurred, attributed the clashes to a dispute over land.
“Clashes erupted between a Russian company working in the area and local miners who claimed ownership of the area,” al-Saim told state television.
The clashes, he added, had left six miners wounded, one of whom later succumbed to his injuries.
“We still don’t know who fired on the miners -- police or guards employed by the Russian company,” al-Saim said. “Local authorities are still investigating the incident.”
According to the owner of a local mine in the area, the situation was still tense.
“If the government doesn’t intervene soon, clashes could break out again at any moment,” he told Anadolu Agency, speaking anonymously due to the situation’s sensitivity.
According to estimates, more than four million Sudanese work in the country’s informal mining sector.
About 170 mining firms are currently active in 12 of Sudan’s 15 states, according to the Sudanese Mining Ministry.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018Deadly car bomb blast rocks Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 20.03.2018Gaddafi's Son Running for Libya’s Presidency
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 24.02.2018Death toll from Somalia blasts rises to 45
- 24.02.2018Nigerian president calls Boko Haram abduction of schoolgirls 'National Disaster'
- 23.02.2018Double car blasts in Somalia kill at least 18 - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018More than 90 Nigerian schoolgirls missing after Boko Haram attack: sources
- 21.02.2018Mali: 2 French soldiers killed in attack
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 17.02.2018Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law
- 15.02.2018South African parliament to elect new president today
- 15.02.2018Zuma quits, ending scandal-plagued term as South African president
- 14.02.2018Sudan, S. Sudan resume cross-border trade after 7 years
- 14.02.2018At least 19 migrants killed in Libya car crash
- 14.02.201822 Nigerian students killed in road mishap
- 11.02.2018Over 10 Nigerian hostages rescued from suspected Boko Haram terrorists
- 10.02.2018Bombing at mosque in Libya's Benghazi kills two, wounds 75: medics
- 07.02.2018Tunisian soldier killed in helicopter crash
- 06.02.2018At least 30 dead in ethnic violence in northeast Congo
- 04.02.2018Russian MP warns new US nuclear doctrine heightens arms race risk
- 04.02.2018Miners' protest raises political temperature in Morocco
- 01.02.20185 dead, 39 injured in multiple explosions in Nigeria
- 31.01.2018Sochi talks end, constitutional committee to be formed
- 28.01.2018Gunmen kill at least 14 Mali soldiers in attack on army camp
- 28.01.2018Africa most affected by food insecurity, says UN chief
- 25.01.2018Nigeria confirms 16 dead in Lassa fever outbreak
- 24.01.2018At least 27 dead in twin Benghazi car bombs
- 23.01.2018Egyptian army arrests former chief of staff over presidential bid
- 23.01.2018Morocco's king appoints five new ministers
- 23.01.2018Former football player sworn in as Liberia's president
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor