Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
A miner was killed and five others were injured in clashes that erupted on Monday in a gold-rich area of Sudan’s northern River Nile State, according to local government officials, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Abdul Moneim al-Saim, commissioner of the Barbar locality in which the incident occurred, attributed the clashes to a dispute over land.
“Clashes erupted between a Russian company working in the area and local miners who claimed ownership of the area,” al-Saim told state television.
The clashes, he added, had left six miners wounded, one of whom later succumbed to his injuries.
“We still don’t know who fired on the miners -- police or guards employed by the Russian company,” al-Saim said. “Local authorities are still investigating the incident.”
According to the owner of a local mine in the area, the situation was still tense.
“If the government doesn’t intervene soon, clashes could break out again at any moment,” he told Anadolu Agency, speaking anonymously due to the situation’s sensitivity.
According to estimates, more than four million Sudanese work in the country’s informal mining sector.
About 170 mining firms are currently active in 12 of Sudan’s 15 states, according to the Sudanese Mining Ministry.
Related news releases
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 01.05.201824 killed in twin suicide blasts in NE Nigeria
- 29.04.2018Suicide attack kills at least 5 in Somalia
- 28.04.2018Suspected jihadists kill more than 40 Tuaregs in Mali
- 28.04.20182 killed, 36 arrested in mosque raid in Uganda
- 27.04.2018Morocco to start full operation of world's largest solar power complex in October
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 07.04.2018Somalia: Double car bomb attacks kill 3 in Mogadishu
- 06.04.2018Dozens killed in Nigeria clash
- 05.04.2018Consultations begin in Libya in advance of peace talks
- 05.04.2018Ministers meet in Sudan to resume Nile dam talks
- 04.04.2018Muammar Gaddafi's son found not guilty of murder of Libyan footballer
- 03.04.2018AU forces kill 30 al-Shabaab in Somalia
- 30.03.20188 people killed by bomb-laden vehicle in eastern Libya
- 29.03.2018Egypt election: Sisi 'set to win second term as president’
- 29.03.2018Sudan announcea three-month extension of ongoing ceasefire
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor