Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
At least five people were killed when a car laden with explosives rammed into a cafeteria in central Mogadishu and blew up on Monday, officials and witnesses said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Bursts of gunfire followed the attack, which targeted the Italian Coffee cafeteria, located near the passport office. A Reuters photographer saw five dead bodies sprawled on the ground at the scene of the blast.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. The Somali Islamist militant group al Shabaab often carries out attacks in the capital and beyond.
"A suicide car bomb was driven into the cafeteria before exploding. We do not know about casualties yet," Major Aden Ibrahim, a police officer, told Reuters.
Al Shabaab was not immediately reachable for comment.
In recent years, the Al Qaeda-linked group has lost large swathes of its territory to African Union peacekeepers supporting the U.N.-backed government.
But the insurgents frequently launch deadly gun, grenade and bomb attacks in Mogadishu and other regions controlled by the federal government. Many attacks are aimed at military bases but some also target civilians.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 17.06.2017Tunisian protesters end sit-in in Tataouine province
- 15.06.2017At least 20 people being held hostage in Somali capital after suicide attack - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 10.06.2017Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar
- 02.06.2017Children strapped with explosives kill nine in north Cameroon
- 01.06.2017Kenya: 8 killed in IED attack
- 01.06.2017Over 40 migrants reported dead in Sahara after truck breakdown
- 31.05.2017Russian president urges Europe to cooperate in fight against terrorism, not put forward mutual claims
- 28.05.2017Somali court sentences 5 insurgents to death for attempted bombings
- 27.05.2017Clashes after activist interrupts sermon in north Moroccan town
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 08.05.2017Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED