Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
Eight “terrorist elements”, including a leader of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, were killed in a gunfight with security forces in southern Egypt, Egypt's Interior Ministry announced Monday, APA rpeorts quoting Anadolu Agency.
"We received intelligence that Hilmi Muharib, a Muslim Brotherhood leader, along with a number of unidentified elements, was hiding out in Upper [i.e., southern] Egypt where they were preparing to attack state institutions," the ministry said in a statement.
“Security forces rushed to the area with a view to arresting them, but were met by heavy gunfire,” it added.
Muharib, along with “seven other terrorists”, was killed in the ensuing exchange of fire, the ministry alleged.
The embattled Muslim Brotherhood, for its part, has yet to comment on the ministry’s assertions.
Once Egypt’s best organized political group, the Brotherhood has remained the target of a relentless crackdown by the authorities since Mohamed Morsi -- the country’s first freely-elected president and a Brotherhood leader -- was ousted and imprisoned in a 2013 military coup.
In the almost four years since, international and local rights groups have accused Egypt’s post-coup regime of carrying out numerous extrajudicial killings, many of which have reportedly targeted Brotherhood members.
The Egyptian authorities accuse the Brotherhood of “inciting violence” and have designated the group a "terrorist" organization.
The Brotherhood, however, denies the accusation, saying it is committed to purely peaceful activism.
Since Morsi’s ouster in mid-2013, hundreds of Brotherhood members have been killed by Egyptian security forces and tens of thousands thrown behind bars.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 17.06.2017Tunisian protesters end sit-in in Tataouine province
- 15.06.2017At least 20 people being held hostage in Somali capital after suicide attack - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 10.06.2017Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar
- 02.06.2017Children strapped with explosives kill nine in north Cameroon
- 01.06.2017Kenya: 8 killed in IED attack
- 01.06.2017Over 40 migrants reported dead in Sahara after truck breakdown
- 31.05.2017Russian president urges Europe to cooperate in fight against terrorism, not put forward mutual claims
- 28.05.2017Somali court sentences 5 insurgents to death for attempted bombings
- 27.05.2017Clashes after activist interrupts sermon in north Moroccan town
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed