Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
Eight “terrorist elements”, including a leader of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, were killed in a gunfight with security forces in southern Egypt, Egypt's Interior Ministry announced Monday, APA rpeorts quoting Anadolu Agency.
"We received intelligence that Hilmi Muharib, a Muslim Brotherhood leader, along with a number of unidentified elements, was hiding out in Upper [i.e., southern] Egypt where they were preparing to attack state institutions," the ministry said in a statement.
“Security forces rushed to the area with a view to arresting them, but were met by heavy gunfire,” it added.
Muharib, along with “seven other terrorists”, was killed in the ensuing exchange of fire, the ministry alleged.
The embattled Muslim Brotherhood, for its part, has yet to comment on the ministry’s assertions.
Once Egypt’s best organized political group, the Brotherhood has remained the target of a relentless crackdown by the authorities since Mohamed Morsi -- the country’s first freely-elected president and a Brotherhood leader -- was ousted and imprisoned in a 2013 military coup.
In the almost four years since, international and local rights groups have accused Egypt’s post-coup regime of carrying out numerous extrajudicial killings, many of which have reportedly targeted Brotherhood members.
The Egyptian authorities accuse the Brotherhood of “inciting violence” and have designated the group a "terrorist" organization.
The Brotherhood, however, denies the accusation, saying it is committed to purely peaceful activism.
Since Morsi’s ouster in mid-2013, hundreds of Brotherhood members have been killed by Egyptian security forces and tens of thousands thrown behind bars.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed