Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
Eight “terrorist elements”, including a leader of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, were killed in a gunfight with security forces in southern Egypt, Egypt's Interior Ministry announced Monday, APA rpeorts quoting Anadolu Agency.
"We received intelligence that Hilmi Muharib, a Muslim Brotherhood leader, along with a number of unidentified elements, was hiding out in Upper [i.e., southern] Egypt where they were preparing to attack state institutions," the ministry said in a statement.
“Security forces rushed to the area with a view to arresting them, but were met by heavy gunfire,” it added.
Muharib, along with “seven other terrorists”, was killed in the ensuing exchange of fire, the ministry alleged.
The embattled Muslim Brotherhood, for its part, has yet to comment on the ministry’s assertions.
Once Egypt’s best organized political group, the Brotherhood has remained the target of a relentless crackdown by the authorities since Mohamed Morsi -- the country’s first freely-elected president and a Brotherhood leader -- was ousted and imprisoned in a 2013 military coup.
In the almost four years since, international and local rights groups have accused Egypt’s post-coup regime of carrying out numerous extrajudicial killings, many of which have reportedly targeted Brotherhood members.
The Egyptian authorities accuse the Brotherhood of “inciting violence” and have designated the group a "terrorist" organization.
The Brotherhood, however, denies the accusation, saying it is committed to purely peaceful activism.
Since Morsi’s ouster in mid-2013, hundreds of Brotherhood members have been killed by Egyptian security forces and tens of thousands thrown behind bars.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 07.04.2018Somalia: Double car bomb attacks kill 3 in Mogadishu
- 06.04.2018Dozens killed in Nigeria clash
- 05.04.2018Consultations begin in Libya in advance of peace talks
- 05.04.2018Ministers meet in Sudan to resume Nile dam talks
- 04.04.2018Muammar Gaddafi's son found not guilty of murder of Libyan footballer
- 03.04.2018AU forces kill 30 al-Shabaab in Somalia
- 30.03.20188 people killed by bomb-laden vehicle in eastern Libya
- 29.03.2018Egypt election: Sisi 'set to win second term as president’
- 29.03.2018Sudan announcea three-month extension of ongoing ceasefire
- 28.03.2018Ethiopia selected a new prime minister
- 27.03.2018Sierra Leone's delayed presidential run-off set for March 31
- 25.03.2018U.S. says killed two 'terrorists' in air strike in southern Libya
- 24.03.2018Bomb kills two in Alexandria ahead of Egypt presidential vote
- 22.03.2018Deadly car bomb blast rocks Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 20.03.2018Gaddafi's Son Running for Libya’s Presidency
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 05.03.2018Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed