Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
Eight “terrorist elements”, including a leader of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, were killed in a gunfight with security forces in southern Egypt, Egypt's Interior Ministry announced Monday, APA rpeorts quoting Anadolu Agency.
"We received intelligence that Hilmi Muharib, a Muslim Brotherhood leader, along with a number of unidentified elements, was hiding out in Upper [i.e., southern] Egypt where they were preparing to attack state institutions," the ministry said in a statement.
“Security forces rushed to the area with a view to arresting them, but were met by heavy gunfire,” it added.
Muharib, along with “seven other terrorists”, was killed in the ensuing exchange of fire, the ministry alleged.
The embattled Muslim Brotherhood, for its part, has yet to comment on the ministry’s assertions.
Once Egypt’s best organized political group, the Brotherhood has remained the target of a relentless crackdown by the authorities since Mohamed Morsi -- the country’s first freely-elected president and a Brotherhood leader -- was ousted and imprisoned in a 2013 military coup.
In the almost four years since, international and local rights groups have accused Egypt’s post-coup regime of carrying out numerous extrajudicial killings, many of which have reportedly targeted Brotherhood members.
The Egyptian authorities accuse the Brotherhood of “inciting violence” and have designated the group a "terrorist" organization.
The Brotherhood, however, denies the accusation, saying it is committed to purely peaceful activism.
Since Morsi’s ouster in mid-2013, hundreds of Brotherhood members have been killed by Egyptian security forces and tens of thousands thrown behind bars.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 20.05.2017Tunisia protesters shut oil transport pumping station
- 20.05.2017Death toll from Libya airbase attack rises to 140, defense chief suspended
- 19.05.2017Suicide bombers hit Nigerian university
- 19.05.2017Tunisia southern gas protests tense as negotiations falter
- 17.05.201727 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- 13.05.2017Sudan swears in new government
- 13.05.2017Democratic Republic of Congo hit by Ebola outbreak
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 27.04.2017Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa
- 21.04.2017Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 11.04.2017Zambian police detain opposition leader
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 11.04.2017Militiamen raid South Sudan's Wau, at least 16 dead: witnesses, U.N.
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed