Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
At least 22 people were killed and 28 others injured in multiple suicide bombings at a local market in Nigeria's northeastern Borno State, police said Saturday.
Three suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers infiltrated a local market at remote Sabon Gari, in the outskirts of state capital Maiduguri at 8.05 p.m. local time (1905GMT) Friday.
Authorities could not confirm the casualties until Saturday morning hours after the evacuation and rescue of victims.
The injured have been transferred to a hospital for treatment.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but locals say it bears semblance to previous bombings by Boko Haram.
Earlier this week, the military warned residents of possible attacks by Boko Haram in cities and towns.
At least 15 persons were killed, while 18 sustained injuries when three suicide bombers struck at a market in Konduga, Borno state, Nigeria, on Friday, APA reported citing PM News.
Bulama Kaka, a resident who witnessed the incident, told TheCable it occurred around 7pm.
Kaka said some meters away from where he was while the two other bombs were inside the market.
He said some traders were affected.
“We all ran for safety after the first thunderous blast occurred. Many people I know were killed in the attack,” he said.
An official of the State Emergency Management Agency confirmed the incident to TheCable, saying victims with minor injuries were receiving treatment at a hospital in Konduga.
He added that those who lost their lives and people in critical condition have been moved to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital and Maiduguri general hospital.
The attack happened one day after the army placed a bounty of N3 million on Abubakar Shekau, leader of the sect.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Sudan blocks world media from covering al-Sisi visit
- 17.07.2018Egypt targets social media with new law
- 16.07.2018At least 8 die of suffocation in truck with migrants in Libya
- 14.07.2018At least 58 injured as train derails in Egypt
- 13.07.2018Explosion sets off fire outside Egypt's Cairo airport, air movement unaffected
- 09.07.2018Ethiopia and Eritrea declare end of war
- 04.07.20187 policemen killed in Nigerian capital
- 01.07.2018270 migrants rescued off Libya coast
- 30.06.2018Three migrants die after boat sinks off Libya’s coast
- 27.06.2018Deputy leader of Libyan government reportedly kidnapped
- 27.06.2018At least 200 migrants rescued off Libya's coast
- 27.06.2018Nigeria fires police chief following weekend killings
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 21.02.2018Mali: 2 French soldiers killed in attack
- 22.02.2018More than 90 Nigerian schoolgirls missing after Boko Haram attack: sources
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law