Angola police attack opposition protesters
Baku-APA. Police in Angola have attacked hundreds of opposition demonstrators protesting in the capital Luanda against the disappearance and possible murder of two young anti-government activists, APA reports quoting Press TV.
On Saturday, the protesters, many wearing T-shirts with the slogan "stop kidnappings and torture", marched towards the center of Luanda. Police fired tear gas and warning shots to disperse the crowd.
The main UNITA opposition party called in the protest over the possible deaths of two activists, who disappeared in May last year while organizing an anti-government demonstration.
Last week, prosecutors said that they had identified four suspects who had allegedly kidnapped and murdered Isaias Cassule and Antonio Alves Camulingui. However, UNITA claimed that Angolan secret services were involved in the crime.
The ruling MPLA party has condemned UNITA's protest call and accused the opposition of seeking to create "chaos and anarchy" with its plans for countrywide demonstrations.
Meanwhile, another opposition group CASA said that one of its activists was killed on Saturday morning by president’s security forces after he was arrested for putting up anti-government posters.
Young people in Africa's number two oil producer are getting increasingly frustrated with Jose Eduardo Dos Santos, who has been the president of Angola since 1979. He was re-elected in 2012 for another five years.
Related news releases
- 25.08.2016Al Shabaab militants bomb Somali beach restaurant, gunfight ongoing
- 25.08.2016Army kills terrorist in northern Algeria
- 24.08.2016US military deploys SuperCobra attack helicopters to Libya
- 23.08.2016Clashes in NE South Sudan leave 153 dead
- 23.08.2016Nigerian police arrest 'Boko Haram spiritual head'
- 23.08.2016Libyan forces say they capture mosque, prison from Islamic State in Sirte
- 20.08.2016Tunisian premier names government, appoints new finance minister
- 20.08.201610 military personnel die in South Africa bus crash
- 17.08.2016Zambia arrests 150 opposition activists over poll protest
- 16.08.2016Sudan ceasefire talks collapse after less than a week
- 13.08.2016UN Security Council Passes Resolution to Send 4,000 Troops to South Sudan
- 06.08.2016At least 1 dead, 16 injured in Morocco building collapse
- 05.08.2016Egypt military says killed leader of Islamic State in Sinai
- 03.08.2016800 militants join Nigerian de-radicalization program
- 02.08.2016Benghazi car bombing kills at least 23 people, dozens more injured
- 30.07.201637 injured in foiled Morocco mass jailbreak
- 30.07.2016Libyan forces battle Islamic State snipers for streets of Sirte
- 30.07.2016Rebels say kill nine Angolan soldiers in oil-rich Cabinda enclave
- 28.07.2016Mali arrests leader of Islamist group linked to deadly attack on troops
- 25.07.201639 people killed by fire in Madagascar
- 23.07.2016Fourteen bodies found after 'execution' in Benghazi, Libya
- 20.07.2016Tunisia’s president extends nationwide state of emergency
- 16.07.2016Somalia suspends school linked to failed Turkish coup
- 14.07.2016Mali World Heritage site in danger: UNESCO
- 12.07.201612 dead in Zambian bus crash
- 11.07.2016South Sudan leaders order ceasefire as civil war fears grow
- 09.07.2016Zimbabwe's Mugabe says pay delay is no reason for strike
- 06.07.2016Kidnapped Sierra Leonean diplomat released in Nigeria
- 05.07.201630 killed, 40 injured in central Tanzania road accident
- 02.07.2016Libyan forces battle Islamic State street-to-street in Sirte
- 30.06.2016Roadside bomb hits bus, kills 17 in Somali capital
- 30.06.2016Double suicide attacks kill at least 28 in Cameroon
- 25.06.2016Gunmen storm hotel in Mogadishu, Somali official says
- 25.06.2016Nigerian military kills 10 Boko Haram fighters in NE state
- 23.06.2016Protesters target shops owned by expats in South Africa
- 22.06.2016Armenia to ask Pope Francis to open Vatican secret archives on Armenian ‘genocide’
- 21.06.2016Libya conflict: At least 25 dead in weapons store explosion
- 21.06.2016Seven Egyptians abducted in Libya: Foreign Ministry
- 18.06.2016Somali court sentences 43 Al-Shabaab militants to death
- 18.06.2016Egypt's Morsi sentenced to life in espionage trial
- 25.11.2013Insight: Tunisia stumbles to democracy in a troubled neighborhood
- 26.11.2013UN Security Council demands "immediate end" to attacks by LRA
- 26.11.2013Libyan army clashes with Islamist militants, nine killed
- 22.11.2013Nigeria plans new reform in transportation: minister
- 22.11.2013Egyptian police officer killed in Ismailia
- 22.11.2013Egypt allows police to enter campuses without permission