Angola police attack opposition protesters
Baku-APA. Police in Angola have attacked hundreds of opposition demonstrators protesting in the capital Luanda against the disappearance and possible murder of two young anti-government activists, APA reports quoting Press TV.
On Saturday, the protesters, many wearing T-shirts with the slogan "stop kidnappings and torture", marched towards the center of Luanda. Police fired tear gas and warning shots to disperse the crowd.
The main UNITA opposition party called in the protest over the possible deaths of two activists, who disappeared in May last year while organizing an anti-government demonstration.
Last week, prosecutors said that they had identified four suspects who had allegedly kidnapped and murdered Isaias Cassule and Antonio Alves Camulingui. However, UNITA claimed that Angolan secret services were involved in the crime.
The ruling MPLA party has condemned UNITA's protest call and accused the opposition of seeking to create "chaos and anarchy" with its plans for countrywide demonstrations.
Meanwhile, another opposition group CASA said that one of its activists was killed on Saturday morning by president’s security forces after he was arrested for putting up anti-government posters.
Young people in Africa's number two oil producer are getting increasingly frustrated with Jose Eduardo Dos Santos, who has been the president of Angola since 1979. He was re-elected in 2012 for another five years.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017Supsected militants attack tugboat, leaving three dead in Nigeria
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 25.11.2013Insight: Tunisia stumbles to democracy in a troubled neighborhood
- 26.11.2013UN Security Council demands "immediate end" to attacks by LRA
- 26.11.2013Libyan army clashes with Islamist militants, nine killed
- 22.11.2013Nigeria plans new reform in transportation: minister
- 22.11.2013Egyptian police officer killed in Ismailia
- 22.11.2013Egypt allows police to enter campuses without permission