Angola police attack opposition protesters
Baku-APA. Police in Angola have attacked hundreds of opposition demonstrators protesting in the capital Luanda against the disappearance and possible murder of two young anti-government activists, APA reports quoting Press TV.
On Saturday, the protesters, many wearing T-shirts with the slogan "stop kidnappings and torture", marched towards the center of Luanda. Police fired tear gas and warning shots to disperse the crowd.
The main UNITA opposition party called in the protest over the possible deaths of two activists, who disappeared in May last year while organizing an anti-government demonstration.
Last week, prosecutors said that they had identified four suspects who had allegedly kidnapped and murdered Isaias Cassule and Antonio Alves Camulingui. However, UNITA claimed that Angolan secret services were involved in the crime.
The ruling MPLA party has condemned UNITA's protest call and accused the opposition of seeking to create "chaos and anarchy" with its plans for countrywide demonstrations.
Meanwhile, another opposition group CASA said that one of its activists was killed on Saturday morning by president’s security forces after he was arrested for putting up anti-government posters.
Young people in Africa's number two oil producer are getting increasingly frustrated with Jose Eduardo Dos Santos, who has been the president of Angola since 1979. He was re-elected in 2012 for another five years.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2016Fourteen bodies found after 'execution' in Benghazi, Libya
- 20.07.2016Tunisia’s president extends nationwide state of emergency
- 16.07.2016Somalia suspends school linked to failed Turkish coup
- 14.07.2016Mali World Heritage site in danger: UNESCO
- 12.07.201612 dead in Zambian bus crash
- 11.07.2016South Sudan leaders order ceasefire as civil war fears grow
- 09.07.2016Zimbabwe's Mugabe says pay delay is no reason for strike
- 06.07.2016Kidnapped Sierra Leonean diplomat released in Nigeria
- 05.07.201630 killed, 40 injured in central Tanzania road accident
- 02.07.2016Libyan forces battle Islamic State street-to-street in Sirte
- 30.06.2016Roadside bomb hits bus, kills 17 in Somali capital
- 30.06.2016Double suicide attacks kill at least 28 in Cameroon
- 25.06.2016Gunmen storm hotel in Mogadishu, Somali official says
- 25.06.2016Nigerian military kills 10 Boko Haram fighters in NE state
- 23.06.2016Protesters target shops owned by expats in South Africa
- 22.06.2016Armenia to ask Pope Francis to open Vatican secret archives on Armenian ‘genocide’
- 21.06.2016Libya conflict: At least 25 dead in weapons store explosion
- 21.06.2016Seven Egyptians abducted in Libya: Foreign Ministry
- 18.06.2016Somali court sentences 43 Al-Shabaab militants to death
- 18.06.2016Egypt's Morsi sentenced to life in espionage trial
- 18.06.2016Egyptian ex-president jailed for life
- 17.06.2016Boko Haram militants kill seven police in attack in Niger: military
- 17.06.2016Egyptian governor: Russian plane that crashed lacked security
- 16.06.2016Black box from doomed EgyptAir plane discovered
- 16.06.2016Suicide car-bomb kills ten in NW Libya
- 14.06.2016At least 11 killed in fresh violence in northern Mali
- 11.06.2016Libyan forces claim port in Islamic State stronghold of Sirte
- 10.06.201632 killed in traffic accident in eastern Sudan
- 09.06.2016Ethiopia base in Somalia attacked by al-Shabab
- 08.06.2016Libyan brigades edge closer to Islamic State stronghold of Sirte: security sources
- 07.06.201640,000 people displaced by recent Boko Haram violence in Niger
- 05.06.2016Libya unity government backed by two armed groups in the east
- 04.06.2016Boko Haram attack kills 32 in Niger
- 03.06.2016Dangerous migrant smuggling routes flourish in lawless Libya
- 02.06.2016Death toll in al Shabaab attack on hotel in Somali capital rises to 15: police
- 01.06.2016At least 4 injured in landmine explosion in Somalia
- 31.05.2016Libya unity govt allies capture IS-held towns
- 31.05.2016UN renews South Sudan sanctions
- 29.05.2016Militants blow up Shell, Agip pipelines in Nigeria
- 29.05.201615 people feared dead in Tanzania boat accident
- 25.11.2013Insight: Tunisia stumbles to democracy in a troubled neighborhood
- 26.11.2013UN Security Council demands "immediate end" to attacks by LRA
- 26.11.2013Libyan army clashes with Islamist militants, nine killed
- 22.11.2013Nigeria plans new reform in transportation: minister
- 22.11.2013Egyptian police officer killed in Ismailia
- 22.11.2013Egypt allows police to enter campuses without permission