82 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
The Nigerian government has secured the release of 82 school girls among the 219 kidnapped by Boko Haram in a school dormitory in the country's northeast town of Chibok, an official said Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Segun Adeyemi, spokesman to the information minister, broke the news on his Facebook page Saturday night.
"Eighty two Chibok girls are free," he said without providing details.
Earlier on Saturday night a serving Senator from the Nigerian northwest state of Kaduna, Shehu Sani who has been involved in previous negotiations with the Boko Haram on behalf of the Federal Government for the release of the girls, told journalists in Abuja that "the process of securing the freedom of many of the girls was 75 percent completed."
A military source said the girls would be taken with a military helicopter from the northeast Banki town on the Nigeria-Cameroon border to the nation's capital, Abuja.
On April 14, 2014, Boko Haram abducted 219 girls at their dormitory while preparing for the college final examination at Chibok town in Nigeria's northeast Borno State. The incident sparked global outrage, leading to the formation of a national pressure group; #BringBackOurGirls# to press the government to secure their release.
Fifty six of the girls later fled their abductors' camp while a total of 24 were freed by the military and through negotiation early 2016, now leaving the balance of 58 unaccounted for.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis