82 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
The Nigerian government has secured the release of 82 school girls among the 219 kidnapped by Boko Haram in a school dormitory in the country's northeast town of Chibok, an official said Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Segun Adeyemi, spokesman to the information minister, broke the news on his Facebook page Saturday night.
"Eighty two Chibok girls are free," he said without providing details.
Earlier on Saturday night a serving Senator from the Nigerian northwest state of Kaduna, Shehu Sani who has been involved in previous negotiations with the Boko Haram on behalf of the Federal Government for the release of the girls, told journalists in Abuja that "the process of securing the freedom of many of the girls was 75 percent completed."
A military source said the girls would be taken with a military helicopter from the northeast Banki town on the Nigeria-Cameroon border to the nation's capital, Abuja.
On April 14, 2014, Boko Haram abducted 219 girls at their dormitory while preparing for the college final examination at Chibok town in Nigeria's northeast Borno State. The incident sparked global outrage, leading to the formation of a national pressure group; #BringBackOurGirls# to press the government to secure their release.
Fifty six of the girls later fled their abductors' camp while a total of 24 were freed by the military and through negotiation early 2016, now leaving the balance of 58 unaccounted for.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 20.05.2017Tunisia protesters shut oil transport pumping station
- 20.05.2017Death toll from Libya airbase attack rises to 140, defense chief suspended
- 19.05.2017Suicide bombers hit Nigerian university
- 19.05.2017Tunisia southern gas protests tense as negotiations falter
- 17.05.201727 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- 13.05.2017Sudan swears in new government
- 13.05.2017Democratic Republic of Congo hit by Ebola outbreak
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 27.04.2017Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa
- 21.04.2017Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 11.04.2017Zambian police detain opposition leader
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 11.04.2017Militiamen raid South Sudan's Wau, at least 16 dead: witnesses, U.N.
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis