8 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
Archaeologists exploring a mysterious tomb in Egypt were in for a surprise when they discovered more than 1,000 statues and eight mummies, the Associated Press reported.
The incredible haul was found in an ancient noble's tomb on the west bank of the Nile River in Luxor.
Little is known about who the mummies belong to, but the team says it expects to find even more statues as the dig continues.
'There are 10 coffins and eight mummies. The excavation is ongoing,' said Mostafa Waziri, the head of the archaeological mission.
The 18th Dynasty tomb, discovered in the Draa Abul Nagaa necropolis near the famed Valley of the Kings, belonged to a nobleman named Userhat who worked as the city judge, the ministry said in a statement.
It was opened to add more mummies during the 21st Dynasty, about 3,000 years ago, to protect them during a period when tomb-robbing was common, said Waziri, the head of the archaeological mission, at the site.
'It was a surprise how much was being displayed inside the tomb', Antiquities Minister Khaled el-Enany told reporters outside the tomb.
'We found a large number of Ushabti (small carved figurines), more than 1,000 of them,' Mr Enany said.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Libyan forces launch operation against militants
- 19.01.2018Zimbabwe opposition leader Roy Bennett killed in U.S. helicopter crash
- 18.01.2018Egypt appoints new intelligence chief
- 17.01.2018Kidnappers abduct American, Canadian in Nigeria, two police killed: police official
- 17.01.2018Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 12
- 16.01.2018At least 20 dead as clashes shut airport in Libyan capital
- 15.01.2018Clashes in Tripoli kill 11, closes airport - UPDATED
- 11.01.2018Tunisian police clash with protesters in at least five towns
- 10.01.2018Tunisian police fire tear gas on protesters storming Carrefour market in Tunis
- 09.01.2018Madagascar cyclone kills 29, displaces thousands
- 09.01.2018Tunisian protester killed in clashes with police
- 09.01.2018Nigeria fighter jet crashes in anti-Boko Haram mission
- 07.01.2018Gunmen kill 13 in Senegal's Casamance region
- 06.01.2018Sudan closes border with Eritrea
- 06.01.2018Clashes break out near South Sudan capital in truce violation
- 05.01.20182 killed in armed confrontation on Libya-Tunisia border
- 04.01.2018George Weah certified as Liberia’s new president
- 04.01.2018Egypt detains 75 people in human trafficking probe
- 04.01.2018Roadside bomb kills police officer in Egypt's Sinai
- 03.01.2018Egypt extends state of emergency for another 3 months
- 03.01.2018Over 20 killed as herdsmen attack Nigerian communities
- 02.01.2018Egypt to resume flights to Moscow next month
- 31.12.2017Liberia's president elect vows to end corruption
- 29.12.2017Gunman kills seven outside Coptic church in Cairo suburb: ministry
- 29.12.2017Egyptian soldiers killed in rocket attack
- 29.12.2017George Weah elected Liberian president
- 28.12.2017Over 30 killed in renewed South Sudan clashes amid continued truce violation
- 27.12.2017Jabhat al-Nusra militants in Syria to be wiped out next year — Russian General Staff
- 26.12.2017Ugandan military says over 100 rebels killed in DRC
- 21.12.2017Egyptian President calls army, Interior Ministry to tackle terrorism in N Sinai
- 20.12.2017Cameroonian troops entered Nigeria without seeking authorization, sources in Nigeria say
- 19.12.2017Nigerian parliament probes hijab case
- 18.12.2017Ethiopia: More than 60 ethnic Somali civilians massacred
- 17.12.2017Fire guts Nigeria's biggest arts, craft village
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 21.04.2017Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 11.04.2017Zambian police detain opposition leader