4 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
Four people died on Thursday in a helicopter crash in the Douira neighborhood of Algiers, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The helicopter, which belongs to the Tassili Airlines Company, was rented to the National Agency for Studies and Follow-up on Railways Investment, Tassili Airlines spokesman Karim Bahard was quoted by the APS news agency as saying.
The victims include the pilot and his assistant, in addition to two air photographers who were conducting a cartography of the new railway line linking Algiers downtown to the western suburb of Zeralda, the report said.
In the past three years, the North African nation has witnessed a number of planes crashes, mostly of military aircraft.
The last accident took place in mid June, when a military helicopter crashed in the province of Naama, 700 km southwest of Algiers, leaving one soldier dead.
The most fatal plane crash was reported in Feb. 2014, when a C-130 Hercules aircraft of the Algerian Air Force crashed in Oum El Bouaghi province, 400 km east of Algiers, killing 77 soldiers.
In April 2015, a military helicopter crashed in the southern province of Illizi, killing two soldiers. In Nov. 2014, an Algerian Air Force MIG-25 'Foxbat' fighter crashed, but the pilot managed to eject himself out of the plane and survived.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Morocco condemns Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 19.10.2017Nigeria deploys jets to end herdsmen-farmers feud
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 17.10.201729 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 13.10.2017Six soldiers killed in North Sinai attack: Egypt army
- 13.10.2017Somalian defense minister, army chief resign
- 11.10.2017Death toll from storm in South Africa reaches 8
- 11.10.2017Egypt sentences 13 to death for alleged 2014 violence
- 11.10.20171 killed 19 passengers rescued in Nigeria boat mishap
- 10.10.2017Nigeria: 10 killed in suspected gang shootings
- 09.10.2017Kenya: 37 killed in post-election violence
- 09.10.2017Kenyan military kills 5 al-Shabaab militants
- 08.10.2017Armed faction takes over protection of Libyan oil and gas complex, fresh concern over migrants
- 08.10.2017Gas explosion rocks Ghana's capital Accra, causing fatalities: government
- 08.10.2017Zimbabwean president to reshuffle cabinet next week
- 07.10.2017Cameroon army helicopters shot separatist protesters: witnesses
- 06.10.2017Nigeria Becomes #2 Sorghum Producer in the World
- 05.10.2017US soldiers killed in ambush in Niger
- 05.10.2017Attack in Mozambique leaves two police officers dead
- 05.10.2017American, Nigerien soldiers killed in ambush in Mali
- 04.10.2017South Sudan clashes leave nearly 100 dead
- 03.10.2017At least 17 killed in Cameroon separatist clashes
- 01.10.201742 illegal migrants captured in Tunisia
- 24.09.2017Supsected militants attack tugboat, leaving three dead in Nigeria
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria