4 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
Four people died on Thursday in a helicopter crash in the Douira neighborhood of Algiers, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The helicopter, which belongs to the Tassili Airlines Company, was rented to the National Agency for Studies and Follow-up on Railways Investment, Tassili Airlines spokesman Karim Bahard was quoted by the APS news agency as saying.
The victims include the pilot and his assistant, in addition to two air photographers who were conducting a cartography of the new railway line linking Algiers downtown to the western suburb of Zeralda, the report said.
In the past three years, the North African nation has witnessed a number of planes crashes, mostly of military aircraft.
The last accident took place in mid June, when a military helicopter crashed in the province of Naama, 700 km southwest of Algiers, leaving one soldier dead.
The most fatal plane crash was reported in Feb. 2014, when a C-130 Hercules aircraft of the Algerian Air Force crashed in Oum El Bouaghi province, 400 km east of Algiers, killing 77 soldiers.
In April 2015, a military helicopter crashed in the southern province of Illizi, killing two soldiers. In Nov. 2014, an Algerian Air Force MIG-25 'Foxbat' fighter crashed, but the pilot managed to eject himself out of the plane and survived.
Related news releases
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 02.08.2017At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash
- 01.08.2017Somalia says kills senior al Shabaab commander in raid
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 27.07.2017German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 26.07.2017New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria