31 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
At least 31 Nigerian fishermen were killed in a fresh Boko Haram attack near the Lake Chad basin, officials said Tuesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Kashim Shettima, governor of Nigeria’s northeastern Borno state said the attack took place at Baga, a major fishing town that was once overrun by militants at the height of their reign in 2015. He did not say when exactly the killings occurred.
“Somebody called me this morning and informed me that the insurgents had killed 31 fishermen in the Lake Chad basin. The security agencies have not commented on the attack, so you cannot confirm it,” Shettima said in the Borno capital Maiduguri.
“This shows the level of crisis we face in Borno, as the so-called jihadists continue with their inhuman acts in the Lake Chad basin,” he added.
Abdul Jalal, a member of the local vigilante, told Anadolu Agency that the attack occurred on Saturday.
“The incident took place precisely at Duguri and Dabar-Wanzam fishing communities' settlements, both in Baga town. We gathered that over 30 persons died while several others sustained gunshot injuries,” he said.
The incident comes barely a week after the army lifted nearly a two-year ban on fishing activities around the area. The ban was imposed to avert militant attacks on local fishermen.
Lake Chad surrounded by four countries -- Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad -- has seen deadly violence by Boko Haram militants since it announced armed struggle against the Nigerian government in 2009 to create an Islamic state.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Zimbabwe's president courts white voters ahead of election
- 19.07.2018Sudan blocks world media from covering al-Sisi visit
- 17.07.2018Egypt targets social media with new law
- 16.07.2018At least 8 die of suffocation in truck with migrants in Libya
- 14.07.2018At least 58 injured as train derails in Egypt
- 13.07.2018Explosion sets off fire outside Egypt's Cairo airport, air movement unaffected
- 09.07.2018Ethiopia and Eritrea declare end of war
- 04.07.20187 policemen killed in Nigerian capital
- 01.07.2018270 migrants rescued off Libya coast
- 30.06.2018Three migrants die after boat sinks off Libya’s coast
- 27.06.2018Deputy leader of Libyan government reportedly kidnapped
- 27.06.2018At least 200 migrants rescued off Libya's coast
- 27.06.2018Nigeria fires police chief following weekend killings
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya