31 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
At least 31 Nigerian fishermen were killed in a fresh Boko Haram attack near the Lake Chad basin, officials said Tuesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Kashim Shettima, governor of Nigeria’s northeastern Borno state said the attack took place at Baga, a major fishing town that was once overrun by militants at the height of their reign in 2015. He did not say when exactly the killings occurred.
“Somebody called me this morning and informed me that the insurgents had killed 31 fishermen in the Lake Chad basin. The security agencies have not commented on the attack, so you cannot confirm it,” Shettima said in the Borno capital Maiduguri.
“This shows the level of crisis we face in Borno, as the so-called jihadists continue with their inhuman acts in the Lake Chad basin,” he added.
Abdul Jalal, a member of the local vigilante, told Anadolu Agency that the attack occurred on Saturday.
“The incident took place precisely at Duguri and Dabar-Wanzam fishing communities' settlements, both in Baga town. We gathered that over 30 persons died while several others sustained gunshot injuries,” he said.
The incident comes barely a week after the army lifted nearly a two-year ban on fishing activities around the area. The ban was imposed to avert militant attacks on local fishermen.
Lake Chad surrounded by four countries -- Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad -- has seen deadly violence by Boko Haram militants since it announced armed struggle against the Nigerian government in 2009 to create an Islamic state.
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Fire guts Nigeria's biggest arts, craft village
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 02.12.2017Twin suicide bombings kill 13 in northeast Nigeria
- 01.12.2017Death toll from Somalia truck bomb in October now at 512
- 01.12.2017Boko Haram razes village, kills at least 5 in Nigeria
- 28.11.201740 killed, dozens kidnapped in South Sudan cattle raid
- 28.11.2017Death toll in Egypt mosque attack rises to 309
- 26.11.2017Zambian troops arrive in Lesotho as standby force
- 26.11.2017Boat sinks off Libya, killing at least 31
- 25.11.2017Terrorist act in Egypt committed by ISIL
- 25.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 305
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 235 - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 184- UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Zimbabwe's new President Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya