3 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
Three soldiers have been killed as a fresh round of infighting erupts in a barracks in Ivory Coast, APA reports quoting PressTV.
A military officer said on Saturday that the soldiers were killed in a shooting that began overnight in a barracks at Korhogo, a city in the north of Ivory Coast.
"There are three dead soldiers," said the officer without elaborating. Other sources in the area said three bodies in military fatigues and with gunshot wounds had been taken to a local morgue.
Residents in the capital Abidjan reported similar gunfire in a former UN base near the city. They said the shooting lasted from about 1:30 a.m. to after 3:00 a.m.
"We were all very scared. We don't know what's going on," said a resident. Local sources said calm was restored in the area on Saturday morning.
For months, Ivory Coast's army has been battered by tension and infighting. Elements within the military have staged mutinies to demand promised bonuses. A payoff of 12,000 CFA francs (18,000 euros) per head was eventually agreed by the government in May, five months after the revolt started.
Most of the mutineers are former rebel soldiers who were incorporated into the country’s armed forces after the end of a decade-long civil war in 2011. There are also about 6,000 "demobilized" rebels who have not been integrated into the military and have been pressing for similar demands on bonuses.
Ivory Coast, a former French colony in West Africa, mostly relies on export of cocoa to finance its budget and falling prices has badly affected government coffers. That comes as security forces have become tougher in dealing with the tension in the armed forces. Two former rebel leaders were jailed on Tuesday for obstructing a road in the central city of Bouake.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Libyan forces launch operation against militants
- 19.01.2018Zimbabwe opposition leader Roy Bennett killed in U.S. helicopter crash
- 18.01.2018Egypt appoints new intelligence chief
- 17.01.2018Kidnappers abduct American, Canadian in Nigeria, two police killed: police official
- 17.01.2018Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 12
- 16.01.2018At least 20 dead as clashes shut airport in Libyan capital
- 15.01.2018Clashes in Tripoli kill 11, closes airport - UPDATED
- 11.01.2018Tunisian police clash with protesters in at least five towns
- 10.01.2018Tunisian police fire tear gas on protesters storming Carrefour market in Tunis
- 09.01.2018Madagascar cyclone kills 29, displaces thousands
- 09.01.2018Tunisian protester killed in clashes with police
- 09.01.2018Nigeria fighter jet crashes in anti-Boko Haram mission
- 07.01.2018Gunmen kill 13 in Senegal's Casamance region
- 06.01.2018Sudan closes border with Eritrea
- 06.01.2018Clashes break out near South Sudan capital in truce violation
- 05.01.20182 killed in armed confrontation on Libya-Tunisia border
- 04.01.2018George Weah certified as Liberia’s new president
- 04.01.2018Egypt detains 75 people in human trafficking probe
- 04.01.2018Roadside bomb kills police officer in Egypt's Sinai
- 03.01.2018Egypt extends state of emergency for another 3 months
- 03.01.2018Over 20 killed as herdsmen attack Nigerian communities
- 02.01.2018Egypt to resume flights to Moscow next month
- 31.12.2017Liberia's president elect vows to end corruption
- 29.12.2017Gunman kills seven outside Coptic church in Cairo suburb: ministry
- 29.12.2017Egyptian soldiers killed in rocket attack
- 29.12.2017George Weah elected Liberian president
- 28.12.2017Over 30 killed in renewed South Sudan clashes amid continued truce violation
- 27.12.2017Jabhat al-Nusra militants in Syria to be wiped out next year — Russian General Staff
- 26.12.2017Ugandan military says over 100 rebels killed in DRC
- 21.12.2017Egyptian President calls army, Interior Ministry to tackle terrorism in N Sinai
- 20.12.2017Cameroonian troops entered Nigeria without seeking authorization, sources in Nigeria say
- 19.12.2017Nigerian parliament probes hijab case
- 18.12.2017Ethiopia: More than 60 ethnic Somali civilians massacred
- 17.12.2017Fire guts Nigeria's biggest arts, craft village
- 13.12.2017Blast kills four people in northeastern Nigeria, MSF says
- 10.12.201719 die as police vehicle meets accident in Kenya
- 10.12.2017Cholera kills 8 in southern Tanzania
- 09.12.201714 UN peacekeepers killed in DR Congo
- 08.12.2017Death toll from South Sudan clashes hits 90
- 03.12.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa replaces ministers after outcry
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast