29 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
At least 29 people were killed Monday when gunmen attacked a community in the central Plateau State, according to village leaders, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A community chief, Sunday Abdul, said gunmen suspected to be Fulani mercenaries attacked the village of Nkiedoghwo in Bassa local government of Plateau in the early hours Monday.
“Victims are mostly women, children and the elderly,” Abdul, a former lawmaker, told reporters late Monday. “They were shot in a school compound where they were hiding on the instruction of security task force in the state.
“This is barbaric, inhuman and unacceptable, and we call on authorities to stop these killings. The Monday incident was not the first or second in the last two weeks,” he added.
Police spokesman Tyopev Terna neither confirmed nor denied the attack when speaking to Anadolu Agency.
“We will issue a statement on the development later,” he said.
But Suleiman Kwande, a member of parliament, confirmed the attack in a statement that urged security agencies to step up surveillance in communities.
“I call on the Federal Government to investigate the killing of over 20 persons in a primary school at Nkiedoghwo village of Irigwe Chiefdom in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State,” he said.
"The new turn of the killing of innocent people in Bassa Local Government Area in recent time is very unfortunate and disheartening. The natives of the locality in the last few weeks have suffered unprovoked attacks that resulted to the killing of innocent people.”
The attack occurred three days after three victims were reportedly killed in similar violence Saturday in the Barkin Lade area of Plateau State, where inter-tribal violence was once rife.
The clashes were often regarding land rights between the local Berom tribe and Hausa-Fulani herdsmen.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Gunfire, 2 Blasts rock Somalia's Mogadishu leaving 3 Dead - Police
- 22.02.2018More than 90 Nigerian schoolgirls missing after Boko Haram attack: sources
- 21.02.2018Mali: 2 French soldiers killed in attack
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 17.02.2018Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law
- 15.02.2018South African parliament to elect new president today
- 15.02.2018Zuma quits, ending scandal-plagued term as South African president
- 14.02.2018Sudan, S. Sudan resume cross-border trade after 7 years
- 14.02.2018At least 19 migrants killed in Libya car crash
- 14.02.201822 Nigerian students killed in road mishap
- 11.02.2018Over 10 Nigerian hostages rescued from suspected Boko Haram terrorists
- 10.02.2018Bombing at mosque in Libya's Benghazi kills two, wounds 75: medics
- 07.02.2018Tunisian soldier killed in helicopter crash
- 06.02.2018At least 30 dead in ethnic violence in northeast Congo
- 04.02.2018Russian MP warns new US nuclear doctrine heightens arms race risk
- 04.02.2018Miners' protest raises political temperature in Morocco
- 01.02.20185 dead, 39 injured in multiple explosions in Nigeria
- 31.01.2018Sochi talks end, constitutional committee to be formed
- 28.01.2018Gunmen kill at least 14 Mali soldiers in attack on army camp
- 28.01.2018Africa most affected by food insecurity, says UN chief
- 25.01.2018Nigeria confirms 16 dead in Lassa fever outbreak
- 24.01.2018At least 27 dead in twin Benghazi car bombs
- 23.01.2018Egyptian army arrests former chief of staff over presidential bid
- 23.01.2018Morocco's king appoints five new ministers
- 23.01.2018Former football player sworn in as Liberia's president
- 19.01.2018Libyan forces launch operation against militants
- 19.01.2018Zimbabwe opposition leader Roy Bennett killed in U.S. helicopter crash
- 18.01.2018Egypt appoints new intelligence chief
- 17.01.2018Kidnappers abduct American, Canadian in Nigeria, two police killed: police official
- 17.01.2018Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 12
- 16.01.2018At least 20 dead as clashes shut airport in Libyan capital
- 15.01.2018Clashes in Tripoli kill 11, closes airport - UPDATED
- 11.01.2018Tunisian police clash with protesters in at least five towns
- 10.01.2018Tunisian police fire tear gas on protesters storming Carrefour market in Tunis
- 09.01.2018Madagascar cyclone kills 29, displaces thousands
- 09.01.2018Tunisian protester killed in clashes with police
- 09.01.2018Nigeria fighter jet crashes in anti-Boko Haram mission
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 13.10.2017Six soldiers killed in North Sinai attack: Egypt army