29 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
At least 29 people were killed Monday when gunmen attacked a community in the central Plateau State, according to village leaders, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A community chief, Sunday Abdul, said gunmen suspected to be Fulani mercenaries attacked the village of Nkiedoghwo in Bassa local government of Plateau in the early hours Monday.
“Victims are mostly women, children and the elderly,” Abdul, a former lawmaker, told reporters late Monday. “They were shot in a school compound where they were hiding on the instruction of security task force in the state.
“This is barbaric, inhuman and unacceptable, and we call on authorities to stop these killings. The Monday incident was not the first or second in the last two weeks,” he added.
Police spokesman Tyopev Terna neither confirmed nor denied the attack when speaking to Anadolu Agency.
“We will issue a statement on the development later,” he said.
But Suleiman Kwande, a member of parliament, confirmed the attack in a statement that urged security agencies to step up surveillance in communities.
“I call on the Federal Government to investigate the killing of over 20 persons in a primary school at Nkiedoghwo village of Irigwe Chiefdom in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State,” he said.
"The new turn of the killing of innocent people in Bassa Local Government Area in recent time is very unfortunate and disheartening. The natives of the locality in the last few weeks have suffered unprovoked attacks that resulted to the killing of innocent people.”
The attack occurred three days after three victims were reportedly killed in similar violence Saturday in the Barkin Lade area of Plateau State, where inter-tribal violence was once rife.
The clashes were often regarding land rights between the local Berom tribe and Hausa-Fulani herdsmen.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 18.06.20182 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 01.05.201824 killed in twin suicide blasts in NE Nigeria
- 29.04.2018Suicide attack kills at least 5 in Somalia
- 28.04.2018Suspected jihadists kill more than 40 Tuaregs in Mali
- 28.04.20182 killed, 36 arrested in mosque raid in Uganda
- 27.04.2018Morocco to start full operation of world's largest solar power complex in October
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 13.10.2017Six soldiers killed in North Sinai attack: Egypt army