29 feared killed in central Nigeria attack
At least 29 people were killed Monday when gunmen attacked a community in the central Plateau State, according to village leaders, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A community chief, Sunday Abdul, said gunmen suspected to be Fulani mercenaries attacked the village of Nkiedoghwo in Bassa local government of Plateau in the early hours Monday.
“Victims are mostly women, children and the elderly,” Abdul, a former lawmaker, told reporters late Monday. “They were shot in a school compound where they were hiding on the instruction of security task force in the state.
“This is barbaric, inhuman and unacceptable, and we call on authorities to stop these killings. The Monday incident was not the first or second in the last two weeks,” he added.
Police spokesman Tyopev Terna neither confirmed nor denied the attack when speaking to Anadolu Agency.
“We will issue a statement on the development later,” he said.
But Suleiman Kwande, a member of parliament, confirmed the attack in a statement that urged security agencies to step up surveillance in communities.
“I call on the Federal Government to investigate the killing of over 20 persons in a primary school at Nkiedoghwo village of Irigwe Chiefdom in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State,” he said.
"The new turn of the killing of innocent people in Bassa Local Government Area in recent time is very unfortunate and disheartening. The natives of the locality in the last few weeks have suffered unprovoked attacks that resulted to the killing of innocent people.”
The attack occurred three days after three victims were reportedly killed in similar violence Saturday in the Barkin Lade area of Plateau State, where inter-tribal violence was once rife.
The clashes were often regarding land rights between the local Berom tribe and Hausa-Fulani herdsmen.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police
- 21.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns
- 21.11.20176 farmers beheaded in Nigeria’s insurgency-wracked NE
- 21.11.2017Militant killed, 18 arrested in Egypt's Sinai: Army
- 20.11.2017Zimbabwe's ZANU-PF sets Mugabe impeachment ball rolling
- 18.11.2017Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party calls for Mugabe resignation
- 17.11.2017'There's no going back,' Zimbabwe's party tells Mugabe
- 17.11.2017Deposed Zimbabwe vice president to form transitional government
- 17.11.2017Three militant killed, 74 arrested in Egypt’s raids in Sinai
- 16.11.2017Zimbabwe state-run media releases photos of Mugabe meeting with army commander
- 16.11.2017Kenya to Allow Non-Military Use of Drones
- 16.11.2017Libyan forces hit Islamic State camp with air strike: commander
- 16.11.2017Suicide bombers kill 14 in northeast Nigeria
- 15.11.2017Zimbabwe: military takes control of state broadcaster in capital Harare, urges calm
- 14.11.2017EU migrant deal with Libya is 'inhuman' - UN
- 12.11.2017US drone strike in Somalia against al-Shabab kills several
- 11.11.2017Airstrikes kill 10 militants in Egypt’s Sinai
- 11.11.2017Tunisia's President prolongs state of emergency in country for 3 months
- 09.11.2017Tanzania: 5 pupils dead, 43 injured in grenade blast
- 08.11.2017South Sudanese government extends unilateral cease-fire
- 07.11.2017DR Congo: Cholera killed over 700 in last 3 months
- 07.11.2017President declares state of emergency in central Sudan
- 06.11.2017Senegal: Road accident claims 25 Muslim pilgrims
- 04.11.2017U.S. carries out first strikes against Islamic State in Somalia
- 04.11.2017Zimbabwe police charge U.S. citizen with anti-government plot
- 02.11.2017Seven bodies found in migrant boat off Libya
- 01.11.2017Six dead after ambush on Malian High Court's president
- 29.10.2017Bombs kill at least 17 people in Somali capital Mogadishu - UPDATED
- 27.10.2017Blast kills 3 UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 26.10.2017Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight soldiers, one civilian in Nigeria's northeast: police
- 25.10.2017Road accident claims 11 lives in Nigeria
- 24.10.2017UN envoy arrives in Libya capital for unannounced visit
- 21.10.2017Morocco condemns Algerian foreign minister's remarks, recalls envoy - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Helicopter plunges into lake after hotel takeoff in Kenya
- 21.10.2017Sixteen dead following four-vehicle collision in Egypt
- 21.10.2017At least two dead in bombing on Mogadishu outskirts
- 21.10.2017Somalia: Death toll from truck attack rises to 358
- 21.10.2017Shootout in Egypt kills at least 54 police officers - UPDATED-1
- 20.10.2017US unfreezes Sudanese bank accounts
- 18.10.2017Amnesty urges Zambia to act against human rights abuses
- 19.10.2017Four killed in Togo as protesters clash with security forces
- 19.10.2017Ebola-Like Marburg virus kills two people in Uganda
- 14.10.2017Car bombs kill at least 40 in Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 14.10.2017'3 shot dead' during Kenya's anti-government protests
- 13.10.2017Six soldiers killed in North Sinai attack: Egypt army