11 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
Liberia said Friday that samples from people struck down by a mystery illness are being tested abroad after 11 unexplained deaths, though Ebola has been ruled out, AFP reported.
The unidentified illness has affected 19 people in Greenville, southeastern Liberia, who began showing symptoms on April 24, the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed.
Eleven people died in the community and five more have been hospitalised since then, the WHO said in Geneva, with the rest discharged.
Liberia's health ministry and the WHO have confirmed the disease is not Ebola, the hemorrhagic fever that killed thousands in a recent west African epidemic, despite some similar symptoms.
"We have taken blood samples, and what we are going to do is to send this sample out of the country to determine what is really wrong with them," health ministry spokesman Sorbor George told AFP.
George was only able to confirm nine deaths.
"We are under pressure from the families who want to know what is wrong," he added. "What we did first was to run the Ebola test. All were negative. So we are sure that it is not Ebola."
A WHO briefing in Geneva said the illness caused fever, vomiting, headache and diarrhoea, and a rapid response team has been deployed to investigate a potential link among the cases who attended the funeral of a religious leader.
The police are assisting with investigations, the spokesman said.
The outbreak of Ebola in west Africa began in December 2013 and of three countries affected it hit Liberia hardest. More than 29,000 were infected, estimates said, and a third of those died.
Many Ebola survivors continue to suffer high levels of shame and discrimination, exacerbated by findings that the virus can stay in some parts of the body for at least nine months after a patient has recovered.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 17.06.2017Tunisian protesters end sit-in in Tataouine province
- 15.06.2017At least 20 people being held hostage in Somali capital after suicide attack - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 15.06.2017Nine people killed in suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 14.06.2017Egypt blocks host of websites: Cairo-based rights NGO
- 10.06.2017Somali soldiers clash with displaced people, 14 dead
- 08.06.2017Researchers find oldest human remains in Morocco
- 08.06.2017Djibouti reduces level of diplomatic relations with Qatar
- 08.06.2017Senegal withdraws ambassador from Qatar
- 02.06.2017Children strapped with explosives kill nine in north Cameroon
- 01.06.2017Kenya: 8 killed in IED attack
- 01.06.2017Over 40 migrants reported dead in Sahara after truck breakdown
- 31.05.2017Russian president urges Europe to cooperate in fight against terrorism, not put forward mutual claims
- 28.05.2017Somali court sentences 5 insurgents to death for attempted bombings
- 27.05.2017Clashes after activist interrupts sermon in north Moroccan town
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 27.04.2017Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries