Azerbaijan plans to increase the sown area of tea plant to 3,000 hectares and the harvest of green tea leaves up to 8,500 tons by 2027.
APA reports that this is according to the state program for the development of tea-growing for 2018-2027, which was approved with a order signed by President Ilham Aliyev today.
The state program envisages the development of tea growing in Azerbaijan in the following directions:
- Increasing the tea production through the expansion of the sown areas of the tea plant and the application of intensive cultivation technologies;
- Supporting the creation of seed-growing and fertility farms and strengthening their logistics;
- Improvement of basic and auxiliary materials production and other infrastructure for tea-growing farms;
- improving the supply of tea fields with modern techniques of cultivation;
- promoting the establishment of new tea processing enterprises on the basis of rehabilitation, modernization and modern techniques and technologies of existing tea processing facilities;
- Increasing import substitution for tea products.