Clashes occur between demonstrators and police in Yerevan
APA Azeri Press Agency

Clashes occur between demonstrators and police in Yerevan

[ 19 March 2017 06:21 ]

Clashes occurred between demonstrators and policemen in the center on the Republic Square in Yerevan on March 18, in the course of the protest action, in the memory of the "Deliverer of bread" Arthur Sarkisian, APA reports quoting


The participants of the demonstration on the Republic Square demanded a meeting with the prime minister's assistant to answer the question why they rejected the demand to bury Arthur Sargsyan in the “Yerablur” panteon.


Demonstrators refused to obey the demand of the Police and leave the territory on the square and blocked the roadway several times. The police, led by Deputy Chief of Police of Yerevan Valery Osipyan, opened the roadway, by forcefully removing the demonstrators.


The organizers of the action called for a picket to continue at Freedom Square, and tomorrow again to march to the Government building.


Remind that on March 16, the "Bread Delivery Manager" group, "Sasna Tsrer" Arthur Sargsyan, died at the "Armenia" Medical Center in Yerevan. Artur Sargsyan, who was charged with aiding the Sasna Tsrer armed group, was released from prison on December 31, 2016, since he had an illness that was incompatible with imprisonment. On February 9, however, he was arrested yet again. Subsequently, Sargsyan went on hunger strike, and demanded that his preventive measure of arrest be commuted. A few days ago, and with a written guarantee by several dozen MPs, he was released from prison and immediately taken to hospital. Several days ago, however, he left the hospital on his own volition. But his health grew worse on Wednesday evening. He was taken to hospital, where he underwent surgery, but he did not regain consciousness after this operation. The Sasna Tsrer armed group had taken over a police patrol regiment building in Yerevan, taken hostages, but later surrendered, in July 2016. On July 26, Artur Sargsyan had broken through a police wall with a vehicle loaded with food, and delivered food to the members of this armed group.