Iran Unveils Missile-Launching Hovercraft
The hovercraft, dubbed Tondar (Thundebolt), was unveiled on Monday during an official ceremony at the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas as part of large-scale military exercises that started over the weekend in eastern Iran.
“Mass production of this hovercraft will considerably boost the operational capability of the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy,” Iranian state-owned news network Press TV quoted Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi as saying at the ceremony.
The minister said that the vessel could be used for coastal patrols, offensive reconnaissance, military transport and sea-rescue missions.
The inauguration of the amphibious assault vessel comes amid escalating tensions between the Islamic Republic and the West over Tehran’s controversial nuclear program.
U.S., other Western powers and Israel suspect Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons. Iran denies this, saying its program is civilian in nature.
Washington and Tel Aviv have not ruled out the possibility of striking Iran's nuclear facilities.
The Iranian leaders have repeatedly stated that the country was ready to defend itself against any potential attack.
Iran has been emphasizing its ability to attain self-sufficiency in defense and produce important weapon systems domestically for nearly two decades, manufacturing its own tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles, aerial drones, submarines, and even fighter jets.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2013US calls possible Iranian nuclear step 'another provocation'
- 21.02.2013Russian military to tackle threat from space objects: general
- 17.02.2013Tunisian PM delays announcement of new govn't until Monday
- 07.02.2013Legality of Drone Strikes, Assassinations Under Fire in US
- 30.01.2013Soldier with new arms determined to be independent
- 26.01.201327 die in Egypt riot after soccer violence verdict
- 25.01.2013Elections in Israel show disenchantment of Arab citizens with Israeli politics
- 22.01.2013Bank of Azerbaijan changes composition of shareholders - UPDATED
- 18.01.2013Party chairman: “Azerbaijan should also demonstrate uncertain position on Georgia’s territorial integrity”
- 17.01.2013Blasts continue to devastate Syria amid int'l condemnation
- 12.01.2013Malian army beats back Islamist rebels with French help
- 12.01.2013Tunisia wants peaceful outcome of crisis in Syria: diplomat
- 11.01.2013Exchange rate of euro hits 8-months maximum in Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2013Death toll of twin blasts in Quetta, Pakistan rises to 100 - UPDATED
- 10.01.2013Saudi Arabia executes Sri Lankan maid for murdering baby
- 06.01.20131 dead, 39 injured in E China road accident
- 05.01.2013Colombia firm makes armored clothes for kids
- 29.12.2012Playbill of theater and concert halls for January, 2013
- 27.12.2012Azerbaijan-2012: Events of the year - POLITICAL - ANALYSIS
- 26.12.2012CAR rebels say they don't intend to seize capital
- 26.12.20125.1-magnitude quake hits Pakistan - USGS
- 23.12.2012Referendum on Egypt’s New Constitution Over
- 21.12.2012Egypt's Islamists call for Friday rally 'to defend scholars and mosques'
- 20.12.2012AGBI rises 0.01%, ACBDI drops 0.02%, AMFBI jumps 0.01%
- 14.12.2012Obama Says Feds Won’t Smoke Out Marijuana Users
- 14.12.2012Iran ex-diplomat freed after 6-year house arrest in London
- 12.12.2012Press Secretary of the President of Russia: “Russia has the potential to compensate activity of the Gabala radar station”
- 10.12.2012Russian Security Council Secretary: “Threat of “color revolutions” still exists in Russia and other CIS countries”
- 09.12.2012Father fatally shoots son outside Pennsylvania gun store
- 09.12.2012Russia Fails To Insert Yamal-402 Satellite Into Desired Orbit
- 08.12.2012South African icon Nelson Mandela hospitalized
- 08.12.2012Syria tells UN will never use WMDs against Syrians
- 07.12.2012Egypt protesters breach barriers, march on palace
- 07.12.2012Hamas chief arrives in Gaza for 1st-ever visit
- 06.12.2012Marijuana Possession Now Legal in Washington State
- 06.12.2012Over 200 Injured in Egypt Clashes - Medical Service
- 04.12.201214 killed in clothing factory fire in south China
- 04.12.2012Armenians continue firing on positions of Azerbaijani Army
- 03.12.2012Putin Reassures Turkey that Syria Is No Threat
- 03.12.2012Iraqi gov't criticizes Kurds for troops build-up in disputed areas
- 13.11.2012Elmar Mammadyarov receives Minister of State at German Foreign Office - PHOTO
- 13.11.2012Criminal case launched on 18-year-old Azerbaijani violated public order in Moscow
- 15.11.2012Portuguese workers stage austerity protests, marred by violence
- 04.02.2010Georgia plans to send its sappers to Azerbaijan for training
- 29.01.2010Capacity of military equipment production in Azerbaijan sees 3% raise