Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
- 21/08/2014 Crisis in eastern Ukraine unlikely to be solved exclusively by force - Poroshenko
- 21/08/2014 Ukrainian govt troops take over much of Luhansk
- 21/08/2014 Ukraine conflict is draining economy, hampering reforms: PM Yatseniuk
- 20/08/2014 Ukraine seeks combined IMF aid tranches
- 20/08/2014 Ukrainian troops take control of Ilovaysk city of Donetsk
- 20/08/2014 Two militants killed in Dagestan
- 19/08/2014 Putin, Lukashenko discuss preparation of Customs Union-Ukraine-EU meeting
- 19/08/2014 Ukrainian president to meet Putin, EU officials in Minsk
- 19/08/2014 Ukrainian MP calls on West to provide military aid to Ukraine
- 19/08/2014 Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev to visit Armenia
- 19/08/2014 Red Cross official heading for Moscow to discuss situation around Ukraine aid convoy
- 19/08/2014 Ukraine: Dozens of Civilians Killed in Convoy
- 18/08/2014 Man fired at Turkish Embassy in Russia, turns out to be Armenian
- 17/08/2014 Imam shot dead in North Ossetia - Interior Ministry
- 17/08/2014 OSCE says situation in Donetsk is tense
- 17/08/2014 Russian aid convoy checked; military vehicles mass near Ukraine
- 16/08/2014 Ukrainian army liberates one more city from separatists
- 16/08/2014 Hagel speaks with Russian defense minister
- 16/08/2014 Georgian chief prosecutor puts ex-president on wanted list
- 16/08/2014 Kiev says forces shelled Russian armour inside Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Food prices under control in Russia — prosecutor’s office
- 15/08/2014 Russian military vehicles do not advance deep into Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Russian military vehicles enter Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Ukrainian army captures key town near Lugansk
- 14/08/2014 Medvedev's Twitter Account Hacked, Resignation Tweet False – Press Service
- 14/08/2014 Ukraine sets conditions for Russian convoy as death toll soars
- 14/08/2014 No troop movement on Russian-Ukrainian border - OSCE observers
- 14/08/2014 Ukraine accuses Russia of cynicism over convoy; death toll rises sharply
- 13/08/2014 Russian, Belarus, Kazakh leaders discuss steps to prevent illegal food re-exports
- 13/08/2014 Risk of Ebola getting to Russia remains low
- 13/08/2014 Ukraine vows to take measures to ensure security of humanitarian convoy
- 12/08/2014 Two new submarines to be laid down for Russian Navy in October
- 12/08/2014 Russian journalist Stenin arrested in Ukraine on suspicion of aiding terrorists
- 12/08/2014 Russian humanitarian aid for Ukraine needs Kiev’s consent - White House
- 12/08/2014 Russia to start building 6 stadiums for 2018 FIFA World Cup in August-September
- 12/08/2014 Russian ministry warns about chemical threat as Ukraine plant shelled
- 12/08/2014 Ukrainian, EU leaders discuss situation in Ukraine's east over phone
- 11/08/2014 Putin, al-Sisi to discuss Russia-Egypt economic cooperation, international issues
- 11/08/2014 Putin: Russia to dispatch relief aid to eastern Ukraine
- 11/08/2014 Poroshenko declares readiness for international discussion on Donbas settlement