Ukraine lines up over 22,000 snow cleaners after massive storm
Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
Related news releases
- 31.05.2016Russian FM: Turkey obliged to apologize and compensate for losses
- 31.05.2016Donbass to not accept int’l forces in region
- 31.05.2016Gas in Armenia to become 6% cheaper as of July 1
- 31.05.2016Top military officials arrested in Armenia
- 30.05.2016Russian NATO envoy says Black Sea will never be "NATO’s lake"
- 28.05.2016Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia's cross-hairs
- 27.05.2016Savchenko: I could run for president if Ukrainians want it
- 27.05.2016Russia, US to create alliance to bring Russian fuel to US market
- 27.05.2016Russia forces kill 5 ISIL militants in North Caucasus
- 25.05.2016Poroshenko congratulates Savchenko on return to Ukraine
- 25.05.2016Savchenko makes first speech upon return to Ukraine
- 25.05.2016Russia frees Ukraine pilot Savchenko in prisoner swap
- 25.05.2016Plane carrying Savchenko departs to Kiev - UPDATED
- 25.05.2016Almost 3,000 Russians left country to join terrorist groups
- 25.05.2016Food, uniforms intended for Armenian army on sale in Poland
- 25.05.2016Poverty deepening in Armenia
- 25.05.2016Ticket sales from Russia to Azerbaijan increased by 90 percent
- 25.05.2016Five gunmen supporting IS detained in North Caucasus — ministry
- 24.05.2016Russia ready to set up broad anti-terrorist front
- 24.05.2016Russian Defense Ministry summons US Embassy attache over spotted reconnaissance plane
- 24.05.2016Russia calls for 'regime of calm' in Syria's Eastern Ghouta and Daraya
- 23.05.2016Russia blasts NATO for Cold War mentality
- 23.05.2016Armenian president dismisses another general of Armed Forces
- 21.05.2016IS cell members detained in Russia’s Ingushetia
- 20.05.2016Russia proposes joint airstrikes on Syria rebels with U.S.-led coalition
- 19.05.2016Russia's FSB chief says terrorist attack may be behind EgyptAir flight crash
- 19.05.2016Gunman shot dead after taking 6 hostage in Moscow bank
- 18.05.2016Kiev refuses to pay for Russian gas sent to Donbass
- 17.05.2016Mass brawl erupts between Chechen and Dagestani wrestlers in Russia
- 15.05.2016Russia retains right to respond to U.S. missile defense deployment in Europe - ministry
- 15.05.2016Militants kill two police in Russia's Dagestan, Islamic State claims responsibility
- 14.05.2016Mass brawl occurred at cemetery, MoscowMass brawl occurred at cemetery, Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.05.2016Helicopter crashes into lake in Russia
- 14.05.2016News Feed Magnitude 4.9 earthquake registered on Dagestan-Chechnya border
- 14.05.2016Russia will act to neutralize U.S. missile shield threat: Putin
- 13.05.2016Kyrgyzstan detains former officials on suspicion of trying to seize power
- 12.05.2016Russia to ban imports of lemon from Turkey
- 12.05.2016Ukraine's auto production drops 27.5 pct
- 12.05.2016Russia says U.S. partners in Europe not threatened by Iranian missiles
- 12.05.2016Russian weapons performed well in Syria but more improvement needed: Putin