Ukraine lines up over 22,000 snow cleaners after massive storm
Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
Related news releases
- 09.02.2016Moscow starts dismantling illegal commercial facilities owned by migrants
- 09.02.2016Russian Warships Begin Mine Detection Drills in Caspian, Black Seas
- 09.02.2016Russian envoy says Moscow will respond to NATO buildup
- 09.02.2016Russian troops put on high alert as part of massive drills
- 08.02.2016EAEU holds no membership negotiations with Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2016Iran, India and Russia should take part in settlement of crisis in Afghanistan - Karzai
- 07.02.2016During a fire three children were killed in the Moscow
- 06.02.2016Medvedev: Abundant oil revenue era long gone
- 06.02.2016Russian MP says Syria should appeal to UN in case of Saudi’s land operation
- 05.02.2016United Russia Party’s 15th Congress kicks off in Moscow
- 05.02.2016Russian authorities raid state news agency TASS
- 04.02.2016Moscow says Russia-Turkey relations continue to deteriorate
- 04.02.2016Turkey provided no proof Russian planes violated Turkish border – diplomat
- 04.02.20162 dead, 1 wounded in Armenia village shootings
- 03.02.2016Compensation in the amount of AZN 12 mln. paid depositors of Bank of Azerbaijan
- 03.02.2016Passenger plane catches fire on takeoff at Domodedovo airport
- 03.02.2016Relations between Armenian president and vice-president become strained: Haykakan Zhamanak
- 03.02.2016Russia imposes entrance bans on five U.S. law enforcers — Russian Foreign Ministry
- 01.02.2016Ukraine's Poroshenko says sanctions against Russia must remain
- 01.02.2016Russia calls Turkey’s hysteria ‘a deliberate provocation’
- 01.02.2016Turkey blocks truck shipments from Russia through its territory
- 01.02.2016Armenia FM, OSCE ambassadors discuss Karabakh peace process
- 01.02.2016Putin reported on Erdogan’s desire to meet with him – Kremlin
- 31.01.20169 bodies found at Moscow’s burning factory, murder & arson suspected – reports
- 31.01.2016Russian Defense Ministry denies violation of Turkish birspace by Su-34
- 30.01.2016The Russian Defense Ministry-run Zvezda TV channel eliminated provocation against Azerbaijan
- 29.01.2016Nazarbayev: We have to get used to low oil prices
- 29.01.201634 diagnosed with swine flu in Russia’s Bashkortostan
- 29.01.2016Islamic bank to appear in Russia's Chechnya
- 29.01.2016The collector, who fired Azerbaijani businessman’s house in Ulyanovsk, was a former police officer
- 29.01.2016Azerbaijani businessman’s house fired in Ulyanovsk, 2-year-old child seriously injured
- 28.01.2016Moldova’s Civic Platform protesters to present plan of action on January 29
- 28.01.2016Lavrov: Approaches of Russia and Turkmenistan across Caspian sea are almost same
- 27.01.2016Putin grants Ukrainian publicist, anchor Russian citizenship
- 27.01.2016Swine flu kills three in Russia
- 27.01.2016Man, 24, shoots himself dead after killing parents in Moscow
- 27.01.2016Two injured in gunfight in Yerevan
- 27.01.2016Magnitude 5.2 Earthquake Occurs in Afghanistan, Near Border With Tajikistan
- 26.01.2016Russia says interested in visa-free regime with Georgia though diplomatic relations not restored
- 26.01.2016West continues taking non-constructive position against Russia, says FM