Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
- 19/04/2014 Russia hails ties with future NATO chief
- 19/04/2014 Train derails in northern Kazakhstan, several people injured
- 19/04/2014 Putin: "No obstacles to normalizing Russian-West relations"
- 19/04/2014 Diplomacy doesn't move insurgents in Ukraine
- 19/04/2014 East Ukraine separatists stay put despite diplomatic deal
- 18/04/2014 SBU puts on wanted list Yanukovych's son Oleksandr
- 18/04/2014 Ukraine asks ICC to investigate alleged crimes in late 2013-early 2014
- 18/04/2014 Yatsenyuk: Ukraine to fulfill all provisions of Geneva deals
- 18/04/2014 Ukraine-EU free trade zone can start working from November 1 — EU envoy
- 17/04/2014 Lavrov: Russia does not intend to send troops to Ukraine
- 17/04/2014 Russia tries to aggravate situation in Ukraine — Yatsenyuk
- 17/04/2014 Putin: "First I have to see my ex-wife Lyudmila Alexandrovna married, and only then think about myself"
- 17/04/2014 Putin says Russia not afraid of NATO expansion
- 17/04/2014 Russian President to sign decree on rehabilitation of Crimean Tatars
- 17/04/2014 Putin: “The people of Transnistria should be allowed to decide their fate themselves”
- 17/04/2014 Putin says Ukraine risks abyss, dialogue only solution
- 17/04/2014 Russia criticizes US for denying entry visa to Iran’s new ambassador to UN
- 17/04/2014 Russia mulls lawsuit against U.S. in WTO over sanctions
- 16/04/2014 Pro-Russia separatists take armor, humiliating Ukraine forces
- 16/04/2014 Russia tests Obama's ability to stop its advances
- 16/04/2014 Russia expects Vietnam to soon join Customs Union: Russian FM
- 16/04/2014 Ukraine targets Russian bank for 'financing terrorists'
- 16/04/2014 Four militants killed in Dagestan - Russian National Antiterrorism Committee
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine has restored control over airport in eastern Ukraine
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine declares Crimea "temporarily occupied territory"
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine pushes tanks toward flashpoint separatist city
- 15/04/2014 Ukrainian army launches operation against separatists in east, two injured
- 15/04/2014 Separatists ignore ultimatum, tighten grip on east Ukraine
- 15/04/2014 Separatist unrest spreads in Ukraine; ultimatum ends with no crackdown
- 15/04/2014 Putin to Obama: Use your influence to prevent bloodshed in Ukraine - UPDATED
- 14/04/2014 Anti-Kremlin protest draws thousands in Moscow
- 14/04/2014 Putin appoints Aksyonov acting governor of Crimea
- 14/04/2014 Turchynov heads the operational headquarters of the special operation in eastern Ukraine
- 14/04/2014 Yulia Tymoshenko: “War has actually been declared against Ukraine, we should stop them, otherwise they won’t stop”
- 14/04/2014 APA Holding launches new project
- 14/04/2014 Turchynov doesn't exclude holding referendum about federalization of Ukraine
- 13/04/2014 Ukrainian Security Council discussing imposing state of emergency in country’s east
- 13/04/2014 Ukrainian Interior Ministry confirms resignation of Donetsk region police chief
- 12/04/2014 Ukraine's acting president convenes Security Council over unrests in southeast
- 12/04/2014 Putin pledges to fulfil Europe gas obligations