Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
- 17/09/2014 Chairman of European Committee for Prevention of Torture Latif Huseynov conducts monitoring in Ukraine
- 16/09/2014 Russia's defense minister says sending extra troops to Crimea a priority
- 16/09/2014 US policies pushing world towards “new cold war”, Duma Speaker
- 16/09/2014 Ukraine, EU ratify association agreement
- 16/09/2014 EU sanctions limit opportunities for dialogue: Moscow
- 15/09/2014 Oldest descendant of Romanov royal dynasty dies
- 15/09/2014 Medvedev: Western sanctions test Russia for durability
- 14/09/2014 Earthquake hits Iran
- 14/09/2014 NATO expansion to Russian borders unacceptable: Lavrov
- 13/09/2014 Ukrainian PM: NATO Not Ready to Accept Ukraine in Near Future
- 13/09/2014 Russia may restrict import of petrochemical, engineering products from US, EU - minister
- 13/09/2014 Russia to strike back at U.S. sanctions while leaving door open for dialogue
- 13/09/2014 U.S. steps up sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 13/09/2014 Ukraine's leader sees no military solution of crisis, vows reforms
- 12/09/2014 Conflict in eastern Ukraine causes 911 mln USD losses: deputy PM
- 12/09/2014 New anti-Russian sanctions will not be left without proper reaction from Moscow - FM
- 12/09/2014 UN chief urges Poroshenko to continue dialogue with Russia, keep truce
- 11/09/2014 Sanctions against Russia strategic error - deputy PM
- 11/09/2014 Russian provider of air traffic services suspends air navigation services for Air Armenia airline
- 11/09/2014 Ukraine says Russia withdrawing forces from east, sees boost for peace
- 11/09/2014 Bus crashes into tree in Shemakhi: 2 killed, 13 injured
- 11/09/2014 Ukraine says cease-fire "effective"
- 11/09/2014 Putin promises new weapons to fend Western threats
- 10/09/2014 Poroshenko pledges autonomy for east Ukraine
- 10/09/2014 Moldova to get Russian gas from Romania if Ukraine blocks its transit -minister
- 10/09/2014 Poroshenko says Russia moves 70 percent of forces back across border
- 09/09/2014 Russian Missile Warning System Tracks Ballistic Missile Launch Towards Israel: Ministry
- 09/09/2014 Russia starts building military bases in the Arctic
- 09/09/2014 Ukrainian forces, insurgents blame each other for ceasefire violation
- 09/09/2014 Rescue operation in Khirdalan completed - PHOTO
- 09/09/2014 Poroshenko makes arms supply deals with NATO
- 09/09/2014 Putin, Poroshenko discuss steps towards further peace settlement in Ukraine
- 06/09/2014 Petro Poroshenko: “I’m ready to die for Ukraine”
- 06/09/2014 Moscow to respond to possible new EU sanctions: Russia's Foreign Ministry
- 05/09/2014 Ukraine, rebels agree on conditional cease-fire
- 05/09/2014 Poroshenko: NATO states may bilaterally supply Ukraine with precision guidance weapons
- 05/09/2014 Slovak PM doubts about impact of sanctions against Russia
- 05/09/2014 Ukraine to announce cease-fire in embattled east
- 04/09/2014 Azerbaijani businessman loses his leg and arm in Donetsk grenade attack
- 04/09/2014 NATO shakes up Russia strategy over Ukraine crisis