Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
- 23/11/2014 Tanker truck burning in accident on Moscow’s ring road
- 23/11/2014 Russia may develop hypersonic weapons before end of this decade
- 22/11/2014 U.S. provides counter-mortar radar systems to Ukraine
- 22/11/2014 Head of Ukraine's Security Service proposes to ban Communist Party
- 21/11/2014 Five Ukrainian parties agree to form parliamentary coalition
- 21/11/2014 Ukraine accuses Russia of cross-border shelling
- 21/11/2014 Ashgabat hosting CIS Heads of Government Council meeting
- 21/11/2014 Five Ukrainian parties agree on position, sign coalition agreement
- 20/11/2014 Obama should have gotten 'Nobel War Prize' — Russian MP
- 20/11/2014 Lavrov: “World community should give rebuff to Islamic State, other extremist groups”
- 20/11/2014 Former PM of Kazakhstan under house arrest
- 19/11/2014 Fresh violence in eastern Ukraine leaves 5 dead
- 19/11/2014 Putin backs deeper ties with North Korea after meeting Kim envoy
- 19/11/2014 Ukrainian PM rules out direct talks with rebels
- 19/11/2014 Russia blasts Ukraine for payment freeze
- 19/11/2014 Russia to allocate $270m to Armenia for repair of Metsamor nuclear power plant
- 19/11/2014 Russia needs guarantees Ukraine will not join NATO – Peskov
- 19/11/2014 Opposition to hold large-scale rally in Yerevan on December 10
- 19/11/2014 Russia’s active ties with Asia not alternative to relations with West – Lavrov
- 19/11/2014 Russia, Germany need constant dialogue on Ukraine — Russia FM
- 18/11/2014 US wishes to subdue Russia, but no one will ever manage this — Putin
- 18/11/2014 Minsk, Moscow should adequately react to EU sanctions — Belarusian FM
- 18/11/2014 Isolated at G20, Putin shows he will do it his way in Ukraine
- 17/11/2014 Ukraine independent, free, sovereign state – Putin
- 16/11/2014 Police detain man with WWII mortar dummies in Moscow metro
- 16/11/2014 Russia defence ministry to airlift field hospital to Ebola-hit Guinea
- 15/11/2014 Sanctions against Russian banks to have negative impact on Germany - Putin
- 15/11/2014 Heavy casualties reported in eastern Ukraine fighting
- 15/11/2014 Ukraine plans to buy 2.5 billion cubic meters of natural gas from Russia under "winter deal"
- 15/11/2014 Putin sees G20 as beneficial format for cooperation
- 15/11/2014 Ukraine's PM says main task is to build army to stop Russia
- 14/11/2014 Russia accuses OSCE mission in Ukraine of presenting biased pictures
- 14/11/2014 CIS Executive Secretary: Ukraine's quitting CIS will primarily hit itself
- 14/11/2014 Iran, Russia to have long-term cooperation on nuclear power plants
- 13/11/2014 Dmitry Medvedev: Washington should take first step to improve Russia-US relations
- 13/11/2014 Russian bomber patrols to reach Gulf of Mexico
- 13/11/2014 Poroshenko calls for speeding up investigation into crimes against EuorMaidan protesters
- 12/11/2014 Ukraine redeploys troops, fearing new rebel offensive
- 12/11/2014 Russia to begin testing its Ebola drugs
- 11/11/2014 EU to discuss Ukraine support, Russia sanctions