Baku-APA. Turkey strongly condemned a bombing attack that targeted and killed a Sunni lawmaker in western Iraq on Tuesday amidst the festering tension in the politically fragile country as protests against the central government in Baghdad still continue in various cities, APA reports quoting Turkish media.
The governor of Anbar province, Qassim al-Fahdawi, said that lawmaker Ifan Saadoun was killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the restive city of Fallujah.
The parliamentarian was part of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, which holds some posts in Iraq's loose power-sharing government but is at the same time the main force in opposition to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's administration.
Ankara stated that the attack is not an isolated case as it came after another attack that targeted Iraq's finance minister on Sunday.
A roadside bomb hit Iraqi Finance Minister Rafaie al-Esawi's convoy west of Baghdad as he left a meeting on Sunday, wounding two of his guards, his office and security sources said.
Both attacks, a statement from Turkish foreign ministry stated, target the political unity of the country and aims to bring civil war back to Iraq, which is still recovering from a long war.
Turkish foreign ministry underlined that it is crucial that perpetrators of the attacks should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
- 30/06/2015 Indonesian military plane crashes into hotel, killing at least 30
- 30/06/2015 Fereydoun, Salehi to join Iranian negotiators
- 29/06/2015 U.S. says absurd to suggest that it will cave in Iran talks
- 28/06/2015 More than 430 people injured in Taiwan water park explosion - UPDATED
- 28/06/2015 Lebanon foils IS bomb plot one day after triple terror hits backed by same group
- 28/06/2015 Ansarullah fighters target Saudi military bases in Jizan
- 27/06/2015 Gunmen attack western Mali town: army spokesman
- 27/06/2015 228 injured in Taiwan park fire
- 27/06/2015 Explosion in Taiwan injures over 100
- 26/06/2015 Death toll in Kuwait's mosque attack rises to 25
- 26/06/2015 Iran, P5+1 may continue talks a few days beyond deadline: US
- 26/06/2015 Quake-ravaged Nepal receives financial commitment of 4.4 bln USD for reconstruction
- 25/06/2015 ISIS militants disguised as Kurdish fighters infiltrate Syrian town
- 25/06/2015 18 killed in air strikes, clashes with IS militants in Iraq
- 24/06/2015 Islamic State mints its own 'Islamic Dinar' coins
- 24/06/2015 Heatwave in Pakistan kills nearly 700 people - PHOTO
- 24/06/2015 Isis blows up Islamic shrines in Palmyra
- 23/06/2015 7 fishermen rescued, four missing in typhoon-hit south China
- 23/06/2015 Pakistan heatwave deaths hit urban Karachi hardest
- 22/06/2015 Taliban attack on Afghan parliament ends
- 22/06/2015 6 Afghan policemen killed in shootout with Taliban
- 22/06/2015 Thousands rally against church arson in northern Israel
- 21/06/2015 64 die as heat wave grips Pakistan
- 21/06/2015 Saudi Arabia continues airstrikes against Yemen
- 21/06/2015 Three killed, thousands evacuated as rainstorm hits S. China
- 21/06/2015 Bomb attacks near Iraqi capital kill 5, injures 12
- 21/06/2015 IED explosion kills 14 in S. Afghanistan
- 21/06/2015 Palestine's Abbas says new unity gov't should adopt PLO's political will, Hamas rejects
- 21/06/2015 Car bomb explodes in Yemen capital near mosque used by Houthis, two dead
- 21/06/2015 MERS death toll rises to 25 in SKorea; no new cases
- 21/06/2015 Death toll from illicit liquor incident in India rises to 74
- 20/06/2015 40 IS militants killed in clashes, air strikes in central Iraq
- 20/06/2015 Hezbollah Attacks Kill ISIL Commanders in Lebanon
- 20/06/2015 4 civilians killed in fresh Saudi airstrike on Yemen
- 19/06/2015 North Korea claims it has cure for MERS, AIDS, SARS, Ebola
- 19/06/2015 MERS spreads to Thailand
- 19/06/2015 Militant group denies U.S. air strike killed Algerian Belmokhtar
- 19/06/2015 Thailand confirms first MERS case as virus spreads in Asia
- 19/06/2015 15 killed in mortar attacks, air strike in Iraq's Anbar
- 19/06/2015 Lebanon urges Syria to set up safe areas for refugees