Turkey strongly condemns attack against lawmaker in Iraq
Baku-APA. Turkey strongly condemned a bombing attack that targeted and killed a Sunni lawmaker in western Iraq on Tuesday amidst the festering tension in the politically fragile country as protests against the central government in Baghdad still continue in various cities, APA reports quoting Turkish media.
The governor of Anbar province, Qassim al-Fahdawi, said that lawmaker Ifan Saadoun was killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the restive city of Fallujah.
The parliamentarian was part of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, which holds some posts in Iraq's loose power-sharing government but is at the same time the main force in opposition to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's administration.
Ankara stated that the attack is not an isolated case as it came after another attack that targeted Iraq's finance minister on Sunday.
A roadside bomb hit Iraqi Finance Minister Rafaie al-Esawi's convoy west of Baghdad as he left a meeting on Sunday, wounding two of his guards, his office and security sources said.
Both attacks, a statement from Turkish foreign ministry stated, target the political unity of the country and aims to bring civil war back to Iraq, which is still recovering from a long war.
Turkish foreign ministry underlined that it is crucial that perpetrators of the attacks should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
Related news releases
- 27.11.2015Death toll of Brazil dam disaster climbs to 13
- 26.11.2015Claims that Russia targets civilians in Syria are groundless, Foreign Ministry
- 26.11.2015Casualties reported as airstrikes hit aid convoy near Turkey border
- 26.11.2015Palestinian stabs Israeli soldier and is shot dead
- 25.11.2015Iran, P5+1 to meet in two weeks
- 25.11.2015Taliban militants capture 13 survivors of Afghan copter crash
- 25.11.2015Police officer martyred in SE Turkey
- 24.11.2015Syria insurgents hit Russian helicopter - Observatory
- 24.11.2015One of pilots of downed Russian warplane reportedly dies
- 24.11.2015One of pilots of downed Russian warplane reportedly captured by Turkmens
- 24.11.2015Russian Su-24 fighter jet shot over Syria - Russian MoD
- 24.11.2015Turkey shoots down Russian jet for airspace violation near Syrian border - UPDATED
- 24.11.2015U.N. chief Ban says 'positive signs' from Pyongyang on North Korea visit
- 24.11.2015Iran seeks more cooperation with Russia in energy sector and banking
- 24.11.2015Putin says Russian air strikes to last until plane bombers are punished
- 24.11.2015Russian jets hit 472 targets in Syria in past two days
- 23.11.2015Iran's leader calls U.S. regional policies a threat to Tehran and Moscow
- 23.11.2015US military helicopter crashes in South Korea, killing 2
- 23.11.2015Putin, Khamenei hold meeting
- 23.11.2015Syrian Turkmens being subjected to massacre – Turkmen lawyer
- 23.11.2015Russian air force hit 472 targets in Syria over weekend
- 22.11.2015Iran asks OPEC to stay within quota
- 22.11.2015Turkey provides refuge for Turkmen fleeing home in Syria
- 22.11.2015Bangladesh executes two senior opposition leaders
- 21.11.2015Landslide of mining debris kills 75 in northern Myanmar
- 21.11.201521 dead, 1 missing in NE China colliery fire
- 21.11.2015Suspected ISIL scout in Paris attacks arrested in Turkey's Antalya
- 21.11.201522 miners trapped in NE China coal mine
- 21.11.2015India blocks visits by U.S. officials despite warmer ties
- 21.11.2015Helicopter crashes with seven on board at New Zealand glacier
- 20.11.2015DPRK proposes working-level talks with S. Korea
- 19.11.2015Syrian Observatory: 15-day ceasefire near Damascus to be announced shortly
- 19.11.2015Magnitude 7 quake strikes Solomon Islands, no tsunami expected
- 18.11.2015Russia: Joint Syria operation with France developing
- 18.11.2015Russia says conducted 'mass strike' on Islamic State targets in Syria
- 18.11.2015Islamic State says it has executed two captives from Norway and China
- 18.11.2015Iran begins dismantling uranium-enrichment equipment: IAEA
- 18.11.2015IS releases picture of bomb it says downed Russian plane
- 18.11.20154 killed in wildfires raging across Australia's southwest
- 18.11.2015Anonymous hackers begin offensive against ISIS