Baku-APA. Turkey strongly condemned a bombing attack that targeted and killed a Sunni lawmaker in western Iraq on Tuesday amidst the festering tension in the politically fragile country as protests against the central government in Baghdad still continue in various cities, APA reports quoting Turkish media.
The governor of Anbar province, Qassim al-Fahdawi, said that lawmaker Ifan Saadoun was killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the restive city of Fallujah.
The parliamentarian was part of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, which holds some posts in Iraq's loose power-sharing government but is at the same time the main force in opposition to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's administration.
Ankara stated that the attack is not an isolated case as it came after another attack that targeted Iraq's finance minister on Sunday.
A roadside bomb hit Iraqi Finance Minister Rafaie al-Esawi's convoy west of Baghdad as he left a meeting on Sunday, wounding two of his guards, his office and security sources said.
Both attacks, a statement from Turkish foreign ministry stated, target the political unity of the country and aims to bring civil war back to Iraq, which is still recovering from a long war.
Turkish foreign ministry underlined that it is crucial that perpetrators of the attacks should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
- 24/05/2015 Iran allows private business owners to forge trade ties with US companies
- 24/05/2015 Iraqi MP: US makes plans to withdraw from the country
- 24/05/2015 Cypriot leaders tour divided city after talks
- 24/05/2015 Candidate for deputy was attacked in Turkey
- 23/05/2015 Over 150 die in heat wave in southern India
- 23/05/2015 8 killed, over 40 injured in C China bus accident
- 23/05/2015 UN official warns of growing ISIL threat in Libya
- 23/05/2015 Magnitude 6.8 quake strikes off Solomon Islands
- 23/05/2015 Proliferation talks fail over Mideast nuke plan
- 23/05/2015 IS claims Saudi Shiite mosque blast, countries condemn
- 23/05/2015 Islamic State expands its 'state'
- 22/05/2015 Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi'ite mosque, Islamic State claims attack
- 22/05/2015 IS militants seize control of last Syrian border point with Iraq
- 22/05/2015 Iran says not to give up security confidentiality for nuclear deal
- 21/05/2015 Iraq forces break oil refinery siege, liberate soldiers
- 21/05/2015 Fresh Saudi air raids leave 14 people dead in Yemen
- 21/05/2015 Islamic State seizes ancient Palmyra city from Syrian forces
- 21/05/2015 Netanyahu stresses support for 2-state solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20/05/2015 Iran's Khamenei rules out interviews with nuclear scientists
- 20/05/2015 North Korea modified submarine missile launch photos, says U.S. official
- 20/05/2015 Train rams into tractor at unmanned railroad crossing in India, killing 10 and injuring 33
- 20/05/2015 Vacuum bombs kill 20 in Syria
- 20/05/2015 China, Brazil, unveil multibillion trade, investment deals
- 20/05/2015 With nuclear deal in sight, Iran drives harder bargain in Indian trade talks
- 20/05/2015 UN Security Council condemns attack on Russia’s embassy in Damascus as terrorist act
- 20/05/2015 Western governments made strategic mistake by sanctions - Larijani
- 20/05/2015 Russia deputy foreign minister, Saudi ambassador discuss settlement of Yemeni conflict
- 20/05/2015 Rebels seize key regime base in Syria's Idlib
- 20/05/2015 Bomb outside Afghan Justice Ministry kills five, wounds dozens
- 20/05/2015 Turkey to send four-ton aid supplies to quake-hit Nepal
- 19/05/2015 5 dead, 6 unaccounted for as heavy rain lashes SW China
- 18/05/2015 Syrian insurgents battle army around military base in Idlib
- 18/05/2015 Suicide attack, gun shots kill 2, wound 7 in S. Afghanistan
- 18/05/2015 Saudi-led air strikes hit Yemen after truce expires
- 18/05/2015 Shi'ite forces move in on Iraqi city taken by Islamic State
- 17/05/2015 Strong aftershock hits Nepal, near Kathmandu: USGS
- 17/05/2015 Pakistani forces kill 4 militants, detain 6 in Karachi
- 17/05/2015 Thousands of Renault workers strike in Turkey
- 17/05/2015 ISIL seizes northern part of Syria’s ancient city of Palmyra
- 16/05/2015 8 bodies recovered from U.S. helicopter crash site; pilot identified