Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
- 06/05/2015 Nuclear talks to continue on May 12: Iran’s Araqchi
- 06/05/2015 Security, political stability key to Lebanon's economy: PM
- 06/05/2015 Iran, Russia call for halt to Saudi aggression against Yemen
- 06/05/2015 Flood-hit traders in Indian-controlled Kashmir observe shutdown to protest government apathy
- 05/05/2015 Hezbollah forces kill dozen Qaeda-linked terrorists
- 05/05/2015 Yemen rebels fire into Saudi Arabia, killing at least 2
- 05/05/2015 Int'l military exercise starts in Jordan
- 05/05/2015 Turkey standing by Nepal
- 05/05/2015 3 killed, 45 injured in protests against Burundi president's third term
- 05/05/2015 7.5-magnitude quake hits Papua New Guinea
- 05/05/2015 Saudi-led alliance mulls partial truces in Yemen: statement
- 05/05/2015 About 100 bodies found in Nepal trekking village
- 05/05/2015 28 killed in bomb attacks, clashes with IS in Iraq
- 04/05/2015 Dozens injured in Ethiopian-Israeli protest against police brutality in Tel Aviv
- 04/05/2015 ADB allocates $200 mln to Nepal
- 03/05/2015 Iran hopes initial draft of nuclear deal to be ready in days
- 03/05/2015 5.7-magnitude quake hits Japan
- 03/05/2015 ISIL Releases Video of Boy Shooting Alleged Spy in Iraq
- 03/05/2015 Chief monitor of OSCE special monitoring mission calls for respect of monitors’ safety and freedom of movement
- 03/05/2015 At least 30 graves found in southern Thailand, and a lone survivor
- 03/05/2015 US to look into claim airstrike killed 52 civilians in Syria
- 02/05/2015 Nepalese politician hails China for prompt help in quake aid
- 02/05/2015 Abbas, Carter stress importance of holding Palestinian elections
- 02/05/2015 Pakistani forces kill 44 militants in tribal regions
- 02/05/2015 Death toll from Nepal quake tops 7,000
- 02/05/2015 Maldives police use tear gas against opposition protesters
- 02/05/2015 North Korea says Japan's NY abduction summit bid to deceive world
- 02/05/2015 U.S., allies stage 18 air strikes against Islamic State: coalition
- 01/05/2015 Thousands still missing after Nepal quake
- 01/05/2015 Air strikes kill civilians in Yemeni capital
- 01/05/2015 US Navy accompanying US ships in Strait of Hormuz
- 01/05/2015 2 missing Tunisian journalists reportedly killed by IS members
- 01/05/2015 Saudi warplanes carry out new airstrikes against airport in Sana’a - UPDATED
- 01/05/2015 6.7-magnitude quake rattles Papua Guinea
- 01/05/2015 Pakistani court jails suspects in attack on Malala Yousafzai
- 01/05/2015 'US campaign against ISIL part of proxy war on Iran'
- 01/05/2015 Saudi warplanes resume pounding airport in Sana’a
- 30/04/2015 Mortar fire kills Saudi patrol near Yemen border
- 30/04/2015 Nepal earthquake death toll reaches 5,844: Officials
- 30/04/2015 Iran's foreign minister says meetings on draft deal Thursday