Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
- 02/09/2015 Pakistani PM condemns "unprovoked Indian firing"
- 02/09/2015 Second arrest made in Bangkok shrine bombing
- 02/09/2015 Iran ready to help solve Middle East woes, Zarif says
- 02/09/2015 Heavy monsoon rains wreak havoc in Bangladesh's capital
- 01/09/2015 Iran welcomes cooperation with US companies in petchem sector: Official
- 01/09/2015 Policeman martyred in Batman clash in Turkey
- 01/09/2015 Jihadi militants advance toward besieged Shiite towns in Syria
- 01/09/2015 Germany says migrants arriving in Hungary must register there
- 31/08/2015 Taliban say keeping leader's death secret was a military decision
- 30/08/2015 Iran nuclear deal will 'fuel terrorism': Netanyahu
- 30/08/2015 Huge Malaysia rally for Najib's resignation enters 2nd day
- 30/08/2015 24 killed in bomb attacks, clashes with IS in Iraq's Anbar
- 29/08/2015 Iran's Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal: state TV
- 29/08/2015 7 killed, 2 injured in China paper mill accident
- 29/08/2015 Philippines: 3 Abu Sayyaf killed, 15 injured in fighting
- 29/08/2015 Saudi-led air strikes kill 10 people in central Yemen: officials
- 28/08/2015 Eleven killed in India-Pakistan border shelling
- 28/08/2015 Japan Launches Newest Izumo-Class Helicopter Carrier
- 28/08/2015 Greece top judge takes over as interim prime minister
- 28/08/2015 MERS virus kills 19 in seven days in Saudi: Ministry
- 27/08/2015 IAEA to establish first nuclear fuel bank in Kazakhstan
- 27/08/2015 One civilian dead, several injured in east of Turkey
- 27/08/2015 Pakistani court orders arrest of ex-PM Gilani over graft charges
- 27/08/2015 ISIL seizes five Syrian border villages
- 27/08/2015 Panasonic to cut 1,300 jobs
- 27/08/2015 Iran urges US to release 19 detainees
- 27/08/2015 U.S. reports 20 air strikes against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria
- 26/08/2015 5 killed in clashes in western Indian state
- 26/08/2015 22 IS militants killed in airstrikes in Anbar province
- 26/08/2015 Magnitude 5.2 Earthquake Rocks Southeast Japan
- 26/08/2015 US, Turkey finalize ‘details’ of Mideast air campaign
- 26/08/2015 Taliban torch civilian homes in central Afghanistan
- 26/08/2015 Road accident kills 3, injures 7 in NW China
- 26/08/2015 Magnitude 4.6 quake strikes two cities in northern Tehran Province
- 25/08/2015 International Atomic Energy Agency approves plan of Iran’s nuclear inspections
- 25/08/2015 Saudi Arabia reports 7 more deaths from MERS
- 25/08/2015 Two killed in clashes in south Lebanon refugee camp
- 25/08/2015 Islamic State claims to kill 30 for sodomy
- 25/08/2015 Six militants, army colonel killed in Pakistan clash
- 24/08/2015 North Korea announces agreement with South