Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
- 08/03/2014 Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- 08/03/2014 UN chief spotlights plight of young in war-torn Syria
- 08/03/2014 Israel diplomat strike could hinder pope visit
- 08/03/2014 Kerry, Jordan king focus on faltering Mideast talks
- 08/03/2014 Iran says Israel fabricated Gaza weapons claim
- 08/03/2014 Iraq airport official arrested over Lebanon flight row
- 07/03/2014 Iran’s FM calls Israeli allegations on Gaza arms ship 'lies'
- 07/03/2014 Two more H7N9 cases in S China
- 07/03/2014 Pakistan to start direct talks with Taliban next week
- 06/03/2014 10 killed, 54 wounded in attacks in Iraq
- 06/03/2014 Arab Parliament urged to stand united against terrorism
- 06/03/2014 Secretary General of UN visits Sierra Leone
- 06/03/2014 Jordan condemns bombings in Bahrain
- 06/03/2014 Three Gulf Arab states recall envoys in rift with Qatar
- 06/03/2014 Israel seizes arms shipment
- 06/03/2014 Street fighting as India heads for April-May election
- 06/03/2014 26 killed in fresh wave of violence in Iraq
- 05/03/2014 Hamas denies connection with arms ship seized by Israel
- 05/03/2014 Iran's Guard says it has multiple warhead missiles
- 05/03/2014 US military will retain 'enduring' presence in Middle East, Persian Gulf
- 05/03/2014 Netanyahu warns on Iran, no concessions for Palestinians
- 05/03/2014 Iran condemns Bahrain violence, bombing
- 05/03/2014 Hamas ban in Egypt may complicate ties with Gaza
- 05/03/2014 Turkish FM meets Iraqi Kurdish leader
- 05/03/2014 India set to announce parliamentary election dates
- 05/03/2014 Netanyahu warns on Iran, urges no Palestinian 'excuses'
- 04/03/2014 Bahrain blast kills three policemen: Interior Ministry
- 04/03/2014 Iran says Obama remarks damage nuclear talks
- 04/03/2014 10 killed in traffic accidents in Turkey
- 03/03/2014 6 soldiers killed in ambush attack by terrorists in Yemen
- 02/03/2014 Iran to start developing project of Bushehr nuclear plant in April
- 01/03/2014 China: 27 Killed, 109 Hurt in 'Terror Attack' in Kunming City
- 01/03/2014 8 killed, 3 injured in road accident in South Pakistan
- 28/02/2014 Bus accident in Thailand kills 14, injures 40
- 28/02/2014 Iran to keep nuclear energy program intact: Zarif
- 28/02/2014 Swine flu kills 19 in Syria out of 59 suspects: health minister
- 27/02/2014 11 killed, 35 wounded in bombing attack in Iraq's capital
- 27/02/2014 Thai PM faces graft charges as standoff slips out of control
- 26/02/2014 Security Council to sanction against those undermining Yemen's transition
- 26/02/2014 21 killed, 26 injured in Iraq's violence