Qatar's emir seals purchase of Greek private island: local mayor
Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
Related news releases
- 11.02.2016Taiwan quake death toll rises to 55
- 11.02.2016Ex-employee of Israeli PM wins abuse case
- 11.02.2016Damascus expects tough but short battle for Aleppo
- 11.02.2016Israeli opposition leader wants to begin separating from Palestinians
- 10.02.2016North Korea executes army chief of staff
- 10.02.2016China confirms first imported Zika case
- 09.02.2016Iran ready to discuss oil with Saudis
- 09.02.201612,000 candidates register for Iranian parliamentary election
- 09.02.2016US does not consider YPG terrorists: State Dept
- 09.02.2016Earthquake measuring 5.7 magnitude felt in New Zealand capital
- 09.02.2016Hong Kong riot police clash with protesters amid crackdown on street vendors
- 09.02.2016Saudi Arabia says open to sending special forces into Syria
- 09.02.2016Israel eyes more entry permits to Palestinian workers to douse tensions
- 08.02.2016Iran says intends to develop relations with Azerbaijan in all areas
- 07.02.2016S.Korea denounces DPRK's rocket launch, calls for sanctions
- 07.02.2016North Korea has successfully launched a satellite into space - UPDATED
- 07.02.2016Bus-truck collision in India's Tamil Nadu kills 13
- 06.02.2016Suicide blast kills 8 in Pakistan’s Quett
- 06.02.2016Taiwan quake death toll rises to 14 - UPDATED
- 06.02.2016Taiwan quake death toll rises to 5 - UPDATED
- 06.02.2016Hotel fire in Iraqi Kurdish region kills 19
- 05.02.2016India bus crash kills at least 37: official
- 05.02.2016Donors have collected $ 10 billion in Syrian aid
- 05.02.2016Greeks continue to protest against pension reforms
- 04.02.2016Saudi says ready to take part in any U.S.-led ground operations in Syria
- 04.02.2016French, U.S. fighter jets destroy IS target in Syria
- 04.02.2016Grounds to believe Turkey planning military invasion in Syria - Russian military
- 04.02.2016Russia not trying to create Alawite state in Syria: foreign ministry
- 04.02.2016US drone strikes kill leader of Islamic State in Yemen
- 04.02.2016Toshiba increases annual loss forecast to $6.0 bn amid accounting scandal
- 04.02.2016Three soldiers killed in S. Philippine clashes
- 04.02.2016Ahead of Chinese New Year, Xi pushes economic, military reform
- 04.02.2016Aleppo offensive uproots hundreds, kills aid workers: U.N.
- 04.02.2016Syria says Saudi, Qatar, Turkey told opposition to quit Geneva talks
- 03.02.20164 Russian generals killed in Syria’s Turkmen Mountain
- 03.02.2016Israeli police woman dies of wounds in East Jerusalem attack
- 03.02.2016Six IRGC troops killed in Syria
- 03.02.2016Pilot killed in crash of Jordanian police helicopter
- 03.02.2016Syria peace talks in trouble after intense Russian strikes
- 02.02.2016North Korea tells U.N. agencies it plans satellite launch