Qatar's emir seals purchase of Greek private island: local mayor
Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
Related news releases
- 13.10.2015Iran first vice president to visit Armenia
- 13.10.201518 wounded in attack on bus in Jerusalem
- 13.10.2015Palestinian shot dead after stabbing soldier on Jerusalem bus
- 13.10.2015U.S. airdrops ammunition to Syria rebels
- 12.10.2015Saudi king reaffirms commitment to hajj after Iran criticism
- 12.10.2015Russian airstrikes destroy 25 jihadi positions in Syria's Latakia
- 12.10.2015Saudis tell Russia its actions in Syria will have 'dangerous consequences'
- 12.10.2015IRNA: Al-Baghdadi wounded, 3 terror aides killed in Iraqi air raid
- 11.10.2015India police nab 21 over anti-Muslim violence
- 11.10.2015Turkish PM calls on parties to unite against terrorism
- 10.10.2015Indian PM expresses grief over Turkey's terror attacks
- 10.10.2015ISIS makes gains in Syria
- 10.10.2015Israel, Iran trade barbs at U.N. disarmament panel meeting
- 10.10.2015Pakistan summons Indian diplomat over train service disruption
- 10.10.2015Islamic State closes in on city of Aleppo in Syrian fighting
- 10.10.201510 dead in fire at Philippines maximum security prison
- 09.10.2015Five killed in Gaza as Israeli-Palestinian violence widens
- 09.10.20154 Palestinians killed in skirmish on Palestine-Israel border
- 09.10.2015IRGC commander Hossein Hamedani killed in Syria
- 09.10.2015French jets bomb Islamic State stronghold in Syria
- 09.10.2015Saudi Arabia 'stepping up' arms supplies to Syrian rebels
- 09.10.2015Clashes break out in Beirut over trash crisis
- 09.10.2015Syria extends major offensive to retake territory in west
- 09.10.2015Iran Rejects Russian Missile Crash
- 08.10.2015Syrian army launches large-scale offensive against IS
- 08.10.2015Saudi-led airstrikes kill 15 at wedding in Yemen
- 08.10.2015Ukraine says four soldiers wounded in rebel attack despite truce
- 07.10.2015Russian warplanes in Syria destroy U.S.-trained rebels' weapons depots: commander
- 07.10.2015Iran’s Supreme Leader Bars Further Talks With U.S.
- 07.10.2015Poachers kill 14 elephants in Zimbabwe with cyanide
- 07.10.2015Maldives boat blast was attempt on president's life: minister
- 07.10.2015Pakistan rejects charges of complicity in Kunduz assault
- 06.10.2015Typhoon Mujigae kills 19 in south China
- 06.10.2015China planning to send fighter jets to Syria
- 06.10.2015Typhoon Mujigae leaves 15 dead or missing in south China
- 06.10.201513-year-old Palestinian boy shot dead in West Bank
- 05.10.2015Car bomb attacks kill 57 people in Iraq: police
- 04.10.20152 Israelis, 1 Palestinian killed after Jerusalem stabbing
- 04.10.2015Coast guards rescue 412 refugees off Turkish shores
- 04.10.2015Quake jolts southern Iran