Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
- 20/04/2014 Gul expresses sorrow over death of Colombia's 'Gabo'
- 20/04/2014 13 die in fresh bout of mortar, bomb attacks in Syria
- 20/04/2014 Removal of chemicals from Syria to be completed within days - UN envoy
- 19/04/2014 Two killed, one injured in Bahrain bomb attack
- 19/04/2014 Several people killed in Turkey as bus overturns
- 19/04/2014 Violence intensifies as Syria braces for presidential vote
- 19/04/2014 South Korean ferry death toll rises to 33, 269 missing
- 19/04/2014 Foreigner dies of MERS in Saudi
- 19/04/2014 Drone risks damage at record depth in search for Malaysian plane
- 19/04/2014 10 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Homs
- 18/04/2014 Cambodian PM expresses sympathy over South Korea ferry sinking
- 18/04/2014 20 confirmed dead in Yunnan mine flood
- 18/04/2014 Several injured in prison clash in Iran
- 18/04/2014 25 confirmed dead in S. Korean ferry sinking
- 18/04/2014 15 killed, 20 injured as vans run over people in E. Pakistan
- 18/04/2014 Turkey, Malaysia ink free trade agreement
- 18/04/2014 33 killed in violent attacks in Iraq
- 18/04/2014 6.2-magnitude quake hits Balleny Islands region:USGS
- 18/04/2014 Israel frees 3 Lebanese detainees, holds two
- 17/04/2014 Suspected rebel attack kills 21 in Syria's Aleppo
- 17/04/2014 7 dead, 289 still missing in S. Korea ferry sinking
- 17/04/2014 Syrian opposition willing to participate in talks
- 17/04/2014 Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria: spokesman
- 17/04/2014 Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signaling compliance
- 16/04/2014 6 killed, 53 wounded in violent attacks across Iraq
- 16/04/2014 A ship with 350 passengers on board issues distress signal off South Korean coast
- 16/04/2014 Israeli, Palestinian negotiators to meet on Wednesday, U.S. says
- 16/04/2014 5.6-magnitude quake hits Southeast of Easter Island - USGS
- 15/04/2014 US airstrike kills woman, two children in E. Afghanistan
- 15/04/2014 11 killed in separate violent attacks across Iraq
- 15/04/2014 Malaysia jet search area too deep for submarine
- 15/04/2014 Syrian army seizes ancient Christian town near Lebanese border
- 15/04/2014 Police seize record number of illegal arms
- 15/04/2014 Israel minister warns Kerry over 'surrender' to Iran
- 13/04/2014 Eight dead, 14 hurt in fatal highway accident in S. Philippines
- 13/04/2014 Tsunami warning cancelled after earthquake hits near Solomon Islands
- 13/04/2014 15 injured after train derails in NE China
- 13/04/2014 Security forces kill 14 Taliban militants across Afghanistan
- 13/04/2014 8.3-magnitude quake hits off Kirakira, Solomon Islands
- 12/04/2014 Maoist rebels kill 14 in anti-election campaign in India