Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
- 11/12/2013 Russian FM arrives in Tehran
- 11/12/2013 Helicopter crash in New Zealand's North Canterbury
- 10/12/2013 Bangladesh to hang Islamist opposition leader
- 10/12/2013 15 killed in attacks in Iraq
- 10/12/2013 OIC calls for independent Palestinian state
- 10/12/2013 Foreign worker riot shocks Singapore
- 10/12/2013 Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now
- 10/12/2013 Iran says it improves accuracy of missiles
- 10/12/2013 Iran, Sextet experts begin to tap ways of fulfilling Geneva agreements
- 10/12/2013 5.1-magnitude quake hits near east coast of Honshu, Japan
- 10/12/2013 Iran foreign minister says nuclear deal dead if U.S. passes new sanctions
- 10/12/2013 Syria army regains Al-Nabek town near Damascus
- 09/12/2013 Syrian army retakes road needed to ship out chemical arms
- 09/12/2013 13 killed in attacks in Iraq
- 09/12/2013 Afghan President Karzai arrives in Tehran on official visit
- 09/12/2013 IAEA inspectors visit Iran’s Arak heavy water facility
- 07/12/2013 3 Gaza rockets fired at Israel explode in Palestinian territory
- 07/12/2013 Eight killed in attacks in Iraq
- 07/12/2013 12 killed in 2 road accidents in India
- 07/12/2013 Avigdor Lieberman: "Iran's policy won't change"
- 07/12/2013 Iran, powers meet next week on nuclear deal implementation
- 07/12/2013 Kerry urges Israel, Palestinians to extend 9-month talks
- 07/12/2013 Aide to North Korean leader's ousted uncle seeks asylum in South: media
- 07/12/2013 OSCE ministers endorse new dynamics on the bilateral dialogue at the highest level between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 07/12/2013 Terrible road accident in Baku claims 4 lives - PHOTO
- 07/12/2013 Thai protest leader calls for last chance protest
- 06/12/2013 Jordan elected to take Saudi seat on U.N. Security Council
- 06/12/2013 Afghanistan won't bow to U.S. 'pressure' over security pact: official
- 06/12/2013 Egyptian police fire tear gas to end clashes in Cairo
- 06/12/2013 Yemen says 52 people killed in attack on ministry
- 06/12/2013 Iran says Geneva II conference must facilitate "free elections" in Syria
- 05/12/2013 U.S. seeks to better understand Syria Islamists
- 05/12/2013 Iraq PM in talks on Syria during Iran trip
- 05/12/2013 Libyan assembly votes to follow Islamic law
- 05/12/2013 OPEC freezes oil output ceiling
- 05/12/2013 Energy Company Probed in Uzbekistan Over Alleged Oil Theft
- 05/12/2013 Afghan ministers will not sign US pact unless demands met: Karzai
- 04/12/2013 Indian PM says Pakistan can't win a fourth war with India
- 04/12/2013 Magnitude 5.7 earthquake hits S. Philippines
- 04/12/2013 Pakistan, U.S. top diplomats for Afghan peace efforts