Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
- 26/05/2015 38 dead in China rest home fire
- 26/05/2015 Iran will need to spend most of any post-sanctions windfall at home
- 25/05/2015 Islamic State faces battle in Iraq, bombs in Syria
- 25/05/2015 Philippines seeks stronger commitment from U.S. in South China Sea dispute
- 25/05/2015 28 IS militants killed in airstrikes, clashes in western Iraq
- 25/05/2015 Hub blast targets Pakistani president’s son
- 25/05/2015 Islamic State executes 217 in, near Syria's Palmyra in 9 days: Monitor
- 24/05/2015 Iran allows private business owners to forge trade ties with US companies
- 24/05/2015 Iraqi MP: US makes plans to withdraw from the country
- 24/05/2015 Cypriot leaders tour divided city after talks
- 24/05/2015 Candidate for deputy was attacked in Turkey
- 23/05/2015 Over 150 die in heat wave in southern India
- 23/05/2015 8 killed, over 40 injured in C China bus accident
- 23/05/2015 UN official warns of growing ISIL threat in Libya
- 23/05/2015 Magnitude 6.8 quake strikes off Solomon Islands
- 23/05/2015 Proliferation talks fail over Mideast nuke plan
- 23/05/2015 IS claims Saudi Shiite mosque blast, countries condemn
- 23/05/2015 Islamic State expands its 'state'
- 22/05/2015 Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi'ite mosque, Islamic State claims attack
- 22/05/2015 IS militants seize control of last Syrian border point with Iraq
- 22/05/2015 Iran says not to give up security confidentiality for nuclear deal
- 21/05/2015 Iraq forces break oil refinery siege, liberate soldiers
- 21/05/2015 Fresh Saudi air raids leave 14 people dead in Yemen
- 21/05/2015 Islamic State seizes ancient Palmyra city from Syrian forces
- 21/05/2015 Netanyahu stresses support for 2-state solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20/05/2015 Iran's Khamenei rules out interviews with nuclear scientists
- 20/05/2015 North Korea modified submarine missile launch photos, says U.S. official
- 20/05/2015 Train rams into tractor at unmanned railroad crossing in India, killing 10 and injuring 33
- 20/05/2015 Vacuum bombs kill 20 in Syria
- 20/05/2015 China, Brazil, unveil multibillion trade, investment deals
- 20/05/2015 With nuclear deal in sight, Iran drives harder bargain in Indian trade talks
- 20/05/2015 UN Security Council condemns attack on Russia’s embassy in Damascus as terrorist act
- 20/05/2015 Western governments made strategic mistake by sanctions - Larijani
- 20/05/2015 Russia deputy foreign minister, Saudi ambassador discuss settlement of Yemeni conflict
- 20/05/2015 Rebels seize key regime base in Syria's Idlib
- 20/05/2015 Bomb outside Afghan Justice Ministry kills five, wounds dozens
- 20/05/2015 Turkey to send four-ton aid supplies to quake-hit Nepal
- 19/05/2015 5 dead, 6 unaccounted for as heavy rain lashes SW China
- 18/05/2015 Syrian insurgents battle army around military base in Idlib
- 18/05/2015 Suicide attack, gun shots kill 2, wound 7 in S. Afghanistan