Iran’s ambassador to Azerbaijan: “Turkey is engaged in spreading pan-Turkism ideology”
Baku. Shamil Alibeyli – APA. “Turkey is engaged in spreading pan-Turkism ideology. In the relations with Asian countries, this country behaves like an elder brother. But there is a difference of faiths between the Turkish and Azerbaijani people. Turks are Sunni, while Azerbaijanis Shiites. Those who are spreading this ideology are also functioning in Azerbaijan and sometimes their promotion puts into question the territorial integrity of other countries,” said Iran’s ambassador to Azerbaijan Mohsen Pak Ayeen in his interview with “khabaronline.ri”.
In his interview, the ambassador touched on Azerbaijan-Israel relations and their impact on the relations with Iran: “Azerbaijan and Israel have good relations and Baku has announced several times that these relations are not against Iran. We believe the Azerbaijani officials. These are standard relations between the two countries.”
Touching on Azerbaijan-Iran relations, ambassador said sometimes there is misunderstanding between the two states, but such cases should not turn into obstacle between the two neighbouring and peoples.
“There were such cases. For example, there was some misunderstanding during Eurovision song contest, but this problem was solved due to the diplomatic efforts. Our relations with Azerbaijan were established on confidence and we still have much to do,” he said.
Asked about Nagorno Karabakh conflict, ambassador said Iran is ready to offer the role of mediator in this conflict.
“Azerbaijan and Armenia differ from each other. Iran has 15 neighbours. Despite the contradiction between Pakistan and Afghanistan, we are cooperating with both countries. We also have good relations with Iraq and Turkey, though there are contradictions between these countries, too. Iran is ready to mediate in the dialogue between Armenia and Azerbaijan, but the sides have chosen Minsk Group format. We think that OSCE Minsk Group’s efforts will fail, the co-chairing countries have been making efforts to solve the conflict for many years, but they lack strong will. Maybe the Minsk Group co-chairing countries want to protract the process of negotiations in order to seize certain privileges from Azerbaijan and Armenia,” he said.
Related news releases
- 02.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Turkish minister of customs and trade
- 02.10.2015PACE’s decision to send observation mission is great achievement for Azerbaijan, says Elkhan Suleymanov
- 02.10.2015FM: Azerbaijan waiting for int’l actions against Armenian aggression for 20 years
- 01.10.2015CIS Interparliamentary Assembly names head of its observation mission for Azerbaijan parliamentary elections
- 01.10.2015Former Israeli president to visit Azerbaijan
- 01.10.2015Azerbaijan has one of world’s largest per capita IDP and refugees burden, says FM
- 01.10.2015Sargysyan’s statement testifies to Armenia's apparent disregard of its obligations, says Azerbaijani FM
- 30.09.2015PACE committee discusses Azerbaijani MP’s report
- 30.09.2015Barack Obama congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Adha
- 30.09.2015European countries yet to reach an agreement on common position, says Azerbaijani official
- 30.09.2015St. Petersburg governor en route to Azerbaijan
- 30.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia dragging Azerbaijan into provocation
- 30.09.2015Azerbaijani diplomats to be stripped of their ranks for any action incompatible with diplomatic service
- 30.09.2015Azerbaijani FM: Joint fight needed against Islamophobia
- 30.09.2015Azerbaijani FM to address UN General Assembly today
- 30.09.2015Azerbaijani, Ukrainian FMs meet in New York
- 30.09.2015Saudi National Day marked in Baku
- 30.09.2015Iraq supports territorial integrity of Azerbaijan, says FM
- 30.09.2015VI Russian-Azerbaijani Interregional Forum started its work in Yekaterinburg
- 29.09.2015Manipulation of information has become instrument of geopolitical intentions, says Azerbaijani official
- 29.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives outgoing Korean ambassador
- 29.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of newly-appointed Hungarian ambassador
- 29.09.2015Eastern Partnership cannot move forward until crises unfolding to EU’s east are solved, says Czech expert
- 29.09.2015Azerbaijani FM meets Georgian counterpart in New York
- 29.09.2015Azerbaijani FM: Peacekeeping forces not enough for peace
- 29.09.2015ODIHR needs to seriously reconsider election methodology, says Azerbaijani FM
- 29.09.2015Secretary General of the Council of Europe: "We are closing the doors to refugees, even drive them out"
- 28.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkmen deputy PM
- 28.09.2015Azerbaijani president receives Serbian deputy PM
- 28.09.2015Armenia seeks to undermine negotiation process on Karabahk settlement, says Azerbaijani FM
- 28.09.2015PACE President: I hope observation mission will be chance for delivering our message to Azerbaijan
- 28.09.2015PACE Bureau decides to send observation mission for Azerbaijan elections
- 28.09.201570th UN General Debate begins
- 28.09.2015PACE autumn session to start today
- 28.09.2015Recent statement – another proof of Armenia’s true face, says Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 27.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs call for Azerbaijan, Armenia to accept mechanism to investigate ceasefire violations
- 26.09.2015German expert: Brussels must put end to double standards towards Azerbaijan’s democratic development, NK conflict
- 25.09.2015AIDA Director elected as advisory member of UN Central Emergency Response Fund
- 24.09.2015Foreign Ministry: Azerbaijan is investigating presence of its citizens among victims in Mecca
- 23.09.2015PACE pre-electoral delegation makes statement on results of visit to Azerbaijan