Iran’s ambassador to Azerbaijan: “Turkey is engaged in spreading pan-Turkism ideology”
Baku. Shamil Alibeyli – APA. “Turkey is engaged in spreading pan-Turkism ideology. In the relations with Asian countries, this country behaves like an elder brother. But there is a difference of faiths between the Turkish and Azerbaijani people. Turks are Sunni, while Azerbaijanis Shiites. Those who are spreading this ideology are also functioning in Azerbaijan and sometimes their promotion puts into question the territorial integrity of other countries,” said Iran’s ambassador to Azerbaijan Mohsen Pak Ayeen in his interview with “khabaronline.ri”.
In his interview, the ambassador touched on Azerbaijan-Israel relations and their impact on the relations with Iran: “Azerbaijan and Israel have good relations and Baku has announced several times that these relations are not against Iran. We believe the Azerbaijani officials. These are standard relations between the two countries.”
Touching on Azerbaijan-Iran relations, ambassador said sometimes there is misunderstanding between the two states, but such cases should not turn into obstacle between the two neighbouring and peoples.
“There were such cases. For example, there was some misunderstanding during Eurovision song contest, but this problem was solved due to the diplomatic efforts. Our relations with Azerbaijan were established on confidence and we still have much to do,” he said.
Asked about Nagorno Karabakh conflict, ambassador said Iran is ready to offer the role of mediator in this conflict.
“Azerbaijan and Armenia differ from each other. Iran has 15 neighbours. Despite the contradiction between Pakistan and Afghanistan, we are cooperating with both countries. We also have good relations with Iraq and Turkey, though there are contradictions between these countries, too. Iran is ready to mediate in the dialogue between Armenia and Azerbaijan, but the sides have chosen Minsk Group format. We think that OSCE Minsk Group’s efforts will fail, the co-chairing countries have been making efforts to solve the conflict for many years, but they lack strong will. Maybe the Minsk Group co-chairing countries want to protract the process of negotiations in order to seize certain privileges from Azerbaijan and Armenia,” he said.
Related news releases
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan’s emergency situations minister receives Latvian economy minister
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijani FM to attend 6th Informal Eastern Partnership Dialogue meeting
- 25.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives ISESCO Director General
- 25.11.2015Kazakh first deputy FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2015U.S. attaches importance to partnership with Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2015Azerbaijan redrawing Europe’s energy map – President Aliyev
- 24.11.2015Downed Russian jet was in Syrian airspace – Kremlin
- 24.11.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet on Dec.1 - Armenian media
- 23.11.2015U.S. along with co-chairs should step up efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict, says Azerbaijani FM
- 23.11.2015EU extends mandate of Special Representative for South Caucasus and crisis in Georgia
- 23.11.2015Azerbaijani president receives US deputy assistant secretary of state
- 23.11.2015Azerbaijan warns its citizens in Belgium against terror threat
- 23.11.2015ISESCO should play role of bridge between cultures, says director general
- 23.11.2015Terrorist attacks of certain Muslims cannot be attributed to Islam – ISESCO
- 23.11.2015ISESCO’s position on Karabakh conflict – clear, says Azerbaijani minister
- 21.11.2015Azerbaijan to blacklist German journalist for illegal visit to occupied Azerbaijani territory
- 21.11.2015Location and date announced of co-chairs’ next meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 20.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev awarded the Leadership Award of the US-Azerbaijan Chamber of Commerce
- 20.11.2015Work on signing Azerbaijani-EU strategic partnership agreement underway normally
- 20.11.2015Azerbaijan’s Shaki, France’s Colmar become sister cities
- 20.11.2015PA official says no decision about meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 20.11.2015PA official: Azerbaijani president’s participation in G-20 summit is historical event
- 20.11.2015APFP Supreme Majlis chairman dies
- 20.11.2015Azerbaijani president receives Russian minister of education and science
- 20.11.2015Azerbaijan ready to deepen dialogue with EU
- 20.11.2015Azerbaijan welcomes OSCE PA president’s statement
- 19.11.2015Newly appointed French Ambassador to Baku: "Azerbaijan is an example of tolerance"
- 19.11.2015OSCE PA president urges reopening of OSCE mission in Azerbaijan
- 19.11.2015Lavrov says Syrian crisis solution impossible without Assad
- 19.11.2015Azerbaijani State Commission on European Integration renamed
- 19.11.2015Akshin Mehdiyev: Azerbaijani candidate appointed OIC permanent observer to EU in serious competition - INTERVIEW
- 19.11.2015AECR president says pleased with UAPFP’s membership - INTERVIEW
- 19.11.2015PACE prematurely replaces co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan
- 19.11.2015US-Azerbaijani partnership - distinguishable for its success: Department of Commerce
- 19.11.2015EU presents main lines of ENP Review
- 18.11.2015Azerbaijani President ends his working visit to France
- 18.11.2015Ali Hasanov’s book ‘Geopolitics’ in Georgian presented in Tbilisi - PHOTOSESSION
- 18.11.2015US trade mission arrives in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev attended the Leaders' Forum of the 38th Session of UNESCO General Conference - PHOTOSESSION
- 17.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now one of UNESCO donors