Hamas launches campaign against collaboration with Israel
Islam Shahwan, a Hamas Interior Ministry spokesman, said the campaign promised amnesty for collaborators who surrender willingly.
In its second part, the campaign involves public programs to raise awareness against aiding Israel with information, he said.
In 2007, Hamas took over Gaza after routing security forces loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas of the rival Fatah movement. Since then, Hamas prides itself on "cleaning" the coastal enclave from Israel's eyes.
But in subsequent waves of cross-border fighting with Israel, Israeli airplanes identified and hit several Hamas targets, including senior military and political leaders who used to move in disguise and secretly, such as Interior Minister Said Siam and Hamas' military chief Ahmed al-Jaabari.
Hamas blames the collaborators for helping Israel allocating its bank of targets. During the eight-day clash between Hamas and Israel in November 2012, which was sparked after the killing of al- Jaabari, Hamas executed seven collaborators in the streets, some of them summarily, in addition to 14 others who were executed after complete trials over the past three years.
The new campaign against spying is the second of its kind that Hamas launches. Shahwan said that in 2010, about 30 collaborators handed themselves over to his ministry.
Related news releases
- 25.11.2015Iran, P5+1 to meet in two weeks
- 25.11.2015Taliban militants capture 13 survivors of Afghan copter crash
- 25.11.2015Police officer martyred in SE Turkey
- 24.11.2015Syria insurgents hit Russian helicopter - Observatory
- 24.11.2015One of pilots of downed Russian warplane reportedly dies
- 24.11.2015One of pilots of downed Russian warplane reportedly captured by Turkmens
- 24.11.2015Russian Su-24 fighter jet shot over Syria - Russian MoD
- 24.11.2015Turkey shoots down Russian jet for airspace violation near Syrian border - UPDATED
- 24.11.2015U.N. chief Ban says 'positive signs' from Pyongyang on North Korea visit
- 24.11.2015Iran seeks more cooperation with Russia in energy sector and banking
- 24.11.2015Putin says Russian air strikes to last until plane bombers are punished
- 24.11.2015Russian jets hit 472 targets in Syria in past two days
- 23.11.2015Iran's leader calls U.S. regional policies a threat to Tehran and Moscow
- 23.11.2015US military helicopter crashes in South Korea, killing 2
- 23.11.2015Putin, Khamenei hold meeting
- 23.11.2015Syrian Turkmens being subjected to massacre – Turkmen lawyer
- 23.11.2015Russian air force hit 472 targets in Syria over weekend
- 22.11.2015Iran asks OPEC to stay within quota
- 22.11.2015Turkey provides refuge for Turkmen fleeing home in Syria
- 22.11.2015Bangladesh executes two senior opposition leaders
- 21.11.2015Landslide of mining debris kills 75 in northern Myanmar
- 21.11.201521 dead, 1 missing in NE China colliery fire
- 21.11.2015Suspected ISIL scout in Paris attacks arrested in Turkey's Antalya
- 21.11.201522 miners trapped in NE China coal mine
- 21.11.2015India blocks visits by U.S. officials despite warmer ties
- 21.11.2015Helicopter crashes with seven on board at New Zealand glacier
- 20.11.2015DPRK proposes working-level talks with S. Korea
- 19.11.2015Syrian Observatory: 15-day ceasefire near Damascus to be announced shortly
- 19.11.2015Magnitude 7 quake strikes Solomon Islands, no tsunami expected
- 18.11.2015Russia: Joint Syria operation with France developing
- 18.11.2015Russia says conducted 'mass strike' on Islamic State targets in Syria
- 18.11.2015Islamic State says it has executed two captives from Norway and China
- 18.11.2015Iran begins dismantling uranium-enrichment equipment: IAEA
- 18.11.2015IS releases picture of bomb it says downed Russian plane
- 18.11.20154 killed in wildfires raging across Australia's southwest
- 18.11.2015Anonymous hackers begin offensive against ISIS
- 17.11.2015Flash floods take five lives in Saudi Arabia
- 17.11.2015Passenger train goes off track in southwestern Pakistan, 16 die
- 17.11.2015US says it destroyed 116 Islamic State fuel trucks
- 17.11.2015Israelis kill 2 Palestinians in clashes over home demolition