Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
- 23/05/2015 US officials: Iran enters Iraqi fight for key oil refinery
- 23/05/2015 Gunfight in western Mexico kills at least 44: officials
- 22/05/2015 Two US black men shot by police, new protes held in Olympia
- 22/05/2015 Obama says he has "personal interest" in reaching Iran nuclear deal
- 22/05/2015 Prosecutor: 6 officers indicted in death of Freddie Gray
- 22/05/2015 UN blasts Canada for expulsion of mentally ill Jamaican
- 21/05/2015 U.S. releases documents recovered in raid that killed bin Laden
- 21/05/2015 U.S. approves arms sale of 1.879 bln USD to Israel
- 21/05/2015 U.S. disputes DPRK's capacity to miniaturize nuke weapons
- 20/05/2015 U.N. announces Yemen talks, Iran to allow ship inspection
- 20/05/2015 NATO urges 'transparency' in Russia military drills
- 19/05/2015 US judge orders release of Hillary Clinton's emails
- 19/05/2015 1 teen killed, 4 adults wounded in Florida shooting
- 19/05/2015 Cuba says conditions 'favorable' for restoring ties with U.S.
- 19/05/2015 Flood, mudslide sweep away homes in Colombia, killing 52
- 19/05/2015 Egypt death sentences worry U.S., U.N., Turkey
- 18/05/2015 Kerry says U.S. and China discuss further sanctions on North Korea
- 18/05/2015 Nuland: Ukraine does not intend to launch new military action in Donbass
- 17/05/2015 Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev sentenced to death
- 17/05/2015 UN issues scathing report of US human rights record
- 17/05/2015 Turks in US begin voting in Turkey's elections
- 16/05/2015 U.S. military kills senior IS leader in Syria: Pentagon
- 16/05/2015 U.S. to expedite military aid to Iraqi forces, Biden tells Abadi: White House
- 16/05/2015 Obama seeks to reassure Gulf allies, sees no early end to Syria war
- 16/05/2015 Verdict reached in marathon bomber's death penalty trial
- 15/05/2015 Drone operator detained in front of White House
- 15/05/2015 Iran attempts intercept of Singapore ship: US
- 15/05/2015 Drone puts White House on brief lockdown
- 15/05/2015 UN calls for respecting truce in Yemen
- 15/05/2015 UN nuclear watchdog to need extra funds to control Iran’s nuclear program — source
- 14/05/2015 Plane crashes in northern Mexico, killing six
- 14/05/2015 Obama meets two Saudi princes after King sent regrets
- 13/05/2015 U.S., NATO say Russia must fully implement Ukraine ceasefire
- 13/05/2015 Kerry: Sanctions must remain in force to ensure peace in eastern Ukraine
- 13/05/2015 US train derails in Philadelphia, killing at least five, injuring dozens of others
- 13/05/2015 2 from Florida dead after chase from Colorado to New Mexico
- 13/05/2015 Amtrak train crashes in Philadelphia, wreckage 'pretty bad'
- 13/05/2015 Kerry holds 'frank' talks with Putin in bid to improve ties
- 13/05/2015 US Christian population in decline: survey
- 13/05/2015 Al-Shabaab militants nabbed in major swoop in Mogadishu