Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
- 08/03/2014 Colombian election seen as referendum on peace talks
- 07/03/2014 US destroyer en route to Black Sea
- 07/03/2014 5.0-magnitude quake hits 102km NE of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- 07/03/2014 U.S. House passes Ukraine aid bill
- 07/03/2014 Two dead in Venezuela violence as protests drag on
- 07/03/2014 PM: Canada won’t recognize Crimea’s referendum on becoming part of Russia
- 06/03/2014 Barack Obama: Proposed Crimea referendum violates international law
- 06/03/2014 White House: The United States is prepared to consider additional steps and sanctions against Russia
- 06/03/2014 US congressmen and senators urge President Obama to boost gas exports to Europe and Ukraine
- 06/03/2014 Obama and Cameron: “Russia has already started to pay a cost for its actions”
- 06/03/2014 Asbestos poisoning victims want Yale honor revoked
- 06/03/2014 Venezuela's Chavez remembered with pomp and protests
- 06/03/2014 UN investigators call for negotiations to end Syria crisis
- 05/03/2014 Ukraine Crimea Crisis: Hillary Clinton Compares Russian President Vladimir Putin to Adolf Hitler
- 05/03/2014 Obama, Merkel stress importance of de-escalating situation in Ukraine
- 05/03/2014 Kerry Pledges $1 Bln Loan During Kiev Visit
- 04/03/2014 US suspends trade talks, military cooperation with Russia over Ukraine
- 04/03/2014 Pentagon suspends military engagements with Russia
- 04/03/2014 Obama says Russia has violated international law in Ukraine
- 04/03/2014 NATO to hold emergency talks on Ukraine on Tuesday
- 04/03/2014 U.S. warns Russia against further military action against Ukraine
- 04/03/2014 RF Permanent Representative to the UN: Yanukovich requests Russia to use armed forces to restore order in Ukraine
- 04/03/2014 Emergency UN Security Council talks on Ukraine begin
- 04/03/2014 UN deputy secretary-general to travel to Kiev March 4
- 02/03/2014 Obama in 'direct' confrontation with Putin on Ukraine
- 02/03/2014 Canada pulls ambassador from Moscow over Ukraine
- 02/03/2014 James Tague, key JFK assassination witness, dies at 77
- 02/03/2014 Obama speaks with Putin by phone, calls on Russia to pull forces back to Crimea bases
- 02/03/2014 UN Secretary-General calls for respect for Ukraine’s territorial integrity
- 01/03/2014 NATO calls on Russia to respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine
- 01/03/2014 UN Security Council to meet March 1 to discuss situation in Ukraine
- 01/03/2014 Kerry says concerned about ongoing violence in Thailand
- 01/03/2014 UN relief agencies report aid delivery to Syria
- 01/03/2014 Congressmen Pete Olson delivers speech on the 22nd anniversary of the Khojaly tragedy
- 01/03/2014 Security Council holds 'urgent' meeting on situation in Ukraine
- 01/03/2014 Kerry against inflaming situation in Ukraine
- 01/03/2014 Obama warns against military intervention in Ukraine
- 28/02/2014 UN Security Council to meet to discuss situation in Ukraine
- 28/02/2014 UN Security Council slams deadly car bombing in Somali capital
- 28/02/2014 Kerry expresses hope Ukrainians to settle situation in Crimea on their own