Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
- 26/07/2014 White House: Putin, Russia are "culpable" in Ukraine plane crash
- 26/07/2014 U.S. tells Pakistan: Do not let Haqqani fighters resettle
- 25/07/2014 Passenger bus crash kills 7, injures 37 in Peru
- 25/07/2014 Canada imposes new sanctions against Russia, Donetsk, Lugansk officials
- 25/07/2014 One dead, 2 wounded in shooting in Philadelphia
- 25/07/2014 US refuses to recognize human rights of African-Americans
- 25/07/2014 Russian sanctions spark AK-47 buying frenzy in US
- 24/07/2014 Russia continues to arm, train separatists: Pentagon spokesman
- 24/07/2014 U.S. condemns bomb attacks in Nigeria
- 24/07/2014 U.N. chief alarmed as rockets found in Gaza school go missing
- 23/07/2014 Kerry consoles Netanyahu on flight ban
- 23/07/2014 UN Human Rights Council to meet over situation in occupied Palestinian territory
- 23/07/2014 Sale of French warships to Russia 'completely inappropriate': US
- 23/07/2014 Clinton wants US and EU to increase sanctions on Russia
- 22/07/2014 Interpol begins identification of Malaysian plane crash victims
- 22/07/2014 Explosion levels home, injures 3 in Texas
- 22/07/2014 Obama: Pro-Russia separatists stealing Malaysia Airlines crash evidence
- 21/07/2014 Kerry makes mic gaffe on Gaza
- 21/07/2014 Two Americans killed in Gaza fighting
- 21/07/2014 UN Security Council holds close consultations on situation in Middle East
- 18/07/2014 U.S., German views on spying differ but still firm allies: Merkel
- 18/07/2014 Twelve bodies found in Massachusetts storage unit, prosecutors say
- 18/07/2014 UN Council demands 'full' probe over downed Malaysia jet
- 18/07/2014 UN Security Council opens its meeting on Ukraine with minute of silence for Boeing crash
- 18/07/2014 UN Security Council to hold open meeting on Ukraine Friday morning
- 18/07/2014 3 feared dead in helicopter crash in New Mexico
- 17/07/2014 UN calls tragedy Boeing crash on Russian-Ukrainian border
- 17/07/2014 Putin informs Obama on Malaysian jet crash in eastern Ukraine
- 17/07/2014 UN: Global AIDS Epidemic can be tamed by 2030
- 17/07/2014 U.S. sanctions will take Russia relations to a dead end -Putin
- 16/07/2014 US preparing unilateral sanctions against Russia
- 16/07/2014 US shootings left 2 dead, 2 injured
- 16/07/2014 INTERPOL hands over alleged mastermind of Abuja bombing to Nigeria
- 16/07/2014 UN concerned rockets firing from Lebanon
- 16/07/2014 Kerry calls on Arab nations to press Hamas on ceasefire
- 15/07/2014 U.S., Qatar sign 11-bln-dollar arms deal
- 15/07/2014 UN mission welcomes agreement to break election impasse in Afghanistan: spokesman
- 15/07/2014 UN Security Council authorizes cross-border humanitarian access to Syria
- 13/07/2014 Afghan candidates agree to vote audit: Kerry
- 13/07/2014 UN Security Council calls for Israeli-Palestinian ceasefire