Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
- 25/04/2015 Angelina Jolie slams UN Security Council inaction on Syria
- 25/04/2015 6.2-magnitude quake hits 182km WSW of Bella Bella, Canada
- 24/04/2015 2 dead in drive-by shooting in U.S.
- 24/04/2015 Police, protesters clash in U.S. city Baltimore
- 24/04/2015 Obama not labeled 1915 events 'genocide'
- 24/04/2015 Utah prisoner dies after technichian forgets to perform dialysis
- 23/04/2015 U.S. drone strike accidentally killed 2 hostages
- 23/04/2015 UN Secretary-General calls on Armenian and Turkish people to normalize relations
- 23/04/2015 Volcano erupts in southern Chile, belching ash, smoke into sky
- 22/04/2015 Obama to refrain from terming 1915 events 'genocide'
- 22/04/2015 Obama: US could ‘penetrate’ Iran S-300 defense system
- 22/04/2015 President Obama not to use the word ‘genocide’ in his April 24th statement
- 22/04/2015 U.S. senators call for humanitarian safe zones in Syria
- 22/04/2015 US hails end to Saudi airstrikes
- 22/04/2015 Boston Marathon bombing trial's penalty phase kicks off
- 22/04/2015 Cuban FM visits France over relations
- 22/04/2015 Kerry to host Japan's Abe in Boston on April 26: State Department
- 21/04/2015 U.S. says might talk to Iran about regional stability, cites Syria
- 21/04/2015 US-Ukraine joint military mission begins
- 20/04/2015 White House fence-jumper arrested
- 20/04/2015 FBI arrests six in Minnesota, California terrorism investigation
- 20/04/2015 Baltimore black suspect dies after being injured during arrest
- 19/04/2015 11 people injured in California gas pipeline explosion
- 18/04/2015 UN official says Nigeria's elections a model in Africa
- 18/04/2015 Obama urges Gulf nations to help with chaos in Libya
- 18/04/2015 Obama to meet leaders of 6 Gulf countries in May
- 17/04/2015 U.S. threatens Russia with retaliation for violations of the INF Treaty
- 17/04/2015 Jobless claims rise in US, housing lags
- 16/04/2015 US to reduce foreign aid due to crisis
- 16/04/2015 Small helicopter lands on U.S. Capitol grounds, one person detained: police
- 16/04/2015 Colombia resumes air raids on rebels after 11 troops killed
- 15/04/2015 Cuba praises 'fair' US pledge on terrorism list
- 15/04/2015 Obama to take Cuba off terror list
- 15/04/2015 Slovak PM not in favor of further sanctions against Russia
- 15/04/2015 Shooting at N.C. community college investigated as possible hate crime
- 15/04/2015 Canada announces additional military assistance to Ukraine
- 15/04/2015 James Bond star named UN advocate for mine elimination
- 15/04/2015 Obama to let congress vote on Iran deal
- 15/04/2015 US Department of State refused to recognize the "Armenian genocide"
- 14/04/2015 John Kerry thanks Russia for rescuing US citizens from Yemen air strikes