Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
- 24/04/2014 U.S. says will act 'in days' if no Russian action in Ukraine
- 23/04/2014 Do not hurt Russian people with sanctions: Jimmy Carter
- 23/04/2014 U.S. President Obama arrives in Japan on 4-nation Asia trip
- 23/04/2014 U.S. to send 600 troops to Eastern Europe to reassure allies
- 22/04/2014 Biden warns on Ukraine as Russia dismisses sanctions threat
- 22/04/2014 Thousands line up to bid goodbye to Garcia Marquez
- 22/04/2014 U.S. says has indications toxic chemical used in Syria in April
- 20/04/2014 US police arrest man after LA Times shooting threat
- 19/04/2014 White House makes economics focus of Asia trip
- 19/04/2014 Obama-Abe summit to aid trade talks, not seal deal: U.S. official
- 19/04/2014 7.0-magnitude quake hits 68 km SW of Panguna, Papua New Guinea -- USGS
- 19/04/2014 Michelle Obama not joining husband's trip to Asia
- 18/04/2014 NASA spacecraft completes mission with planned lunar impact
- 18/04/2014 7.0-magnitude quake hits southern Mexico
- 18/04/2014 Mourning declared in Colombia following death of Gabriel García Márquez
- 18/04/2014 UN chief: Geneva agreements on Ukraine to help settle crisis
- 18/04/2014 UN chief strongly condemns attack on UN base in South Sudan
- 18/04/2014 Obama offers condolences to families of victims in ROK ferry tragedy
- 18/04/2014 Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 17/04/2014 French foreign minister meets Raul Castro on historic visit to Cuba
- 16/04/2014 Defense says bombing suspect's family key to case
- 16/04/2014 More military exercises needed in Lithuania: U.S. Senator McCain
- 16/04/2014 US Embassy guard escapes kidnappers in Libya
- 16/04/2014 Five people killed at house party in west Canada
- 16/04/2014 Ukraine crisis amplifies need to boost defense cooperation: NATO Sec Gen
- 16/04/2014 Obama marks anniversary of Boston Marathon bombings
- 16/04/2014 U.S. adopts harsher tone in U.N. envoy dispute with Iran
- 15/04/2014 US backs Ukraine’s ‘measured’ military operation against protesters
- 15/04/2014 Obama confronts Putin in call as crisis escalates
- 15/04/2014 Fires still besiege Chile port; 15 dead, 500 hurt
- 15/04/2014 Obama remembers Kansas shooting victims
- 13/04/2014 Biden to visit Kiev as tensions between Russia and Ukraine escalate
- 12/04/2014 US levels Crimea sanctions as Ukraine battles separatism
- 12/04/2014 U.S. says G7 backs more sanctions if Russia escalates Ukraine crisis
- 12/04/2014 U.S. expects Iran will meet oil export target in nuclear deal
- 12/04/2014 White House says Iran official will not get visa for U.N. ambassadorship
- 11/04/2014 10 killed as bus, truck carrying students collide
- 11/04/2014 Obama discusses Ukraine situation with Merkel, threatens more sanctions against Russia
- 11/04/2014 6.0-magnitude quake strikes southwest of Iquique, Chile
- 11/04/2014 6.1-magnitude quake strikes southeast of Larreynaga, Nicaragua