Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
- 30/07/2015 8 people found stabbed to death in northern Mexico
- 30/07/2015 Russia vetoes UN Security Council resolution on MH17 plane crash in Ukraine
- 29/07/2015 UN condemns PKK terrorist attacks on Turkey
- 29/07/2015 Obama: ‘If I ran again, I could win’
- 29/07/2015 Kerry urges Congress to support Iran nuclear agreement
- 29/07/2015 U.S. refuses to pardon Snowden: White House
- 29/07/2015 Security Council renews mandate of UN Mission in Somalia
- 29/07/2015 NSA to destroy millions of Americans’ phone records
- 28/07/2015 Rankings of 100 global defense companies made public
- 28/07/2015 64 prisoners stage mass jailbreak in southern Brazil
- 28/07/2015 Obama says yet to hear good argument against Iran nuclear deal
- 27/07/2015 US, Turkey aim for IS-free zone in northern Syria
- 27/07/2015 Bobbi Kristina Brown, daughter of Whitney Houston, has died
- 25/07/2015 Deadly police shootout after prison break in Trinidad and Tobago
- 25/07/2015 Obama dines with Kenyan family after arriving in father's homeland
- 25/07/2015 U.S. troops to train regular Ukrainian military troops: State Department
- 25/07/2015 Kerry to talk with Russia on Islamic State fight and role Iran might play
- 25/07/2015 Kerry: Iran nuclear deal rejection could isolate Israel
- 24/07/2015 John Kerry: Iran had enough fissile material “for 10 to 20 bombs”
- 24/07/2015 Border agents cancel meeting with Trump and he's not happy
- 24/07/2015 US National Security System Potentially Compromised in Hacker Attack
- 24/07/2015 Kerry defends Iran nuclear accord at Senate hearing
- 23/07/2015 5 family members stabbed to death in Oklahoma home
- 23/07/2015 Thirty-seven killed in three days in Brazilian city
- 23/07/2015 Rubio: Next president can kill Iran nuclear agreement
- 22/07/2015 4 killed in shooting in Atlanta, U.S.
- 22/07/2015 Chattanooga shooting investigation reportedly extends to Jordan
- 21/07/2015 Obama calls for release of US citizens detained in Iran
- 21/07/2015 British police charge man with plotting against U.S. military
- 21/07/2015 2 Spanish riders killed in California motorcycle race
- 21/07/2015 11 dead, 5 wounded after ambush in northern Mexico
- 20/07/2015 Cuban flag raised over its embassy in Washington
- 20/07/2015 UN Security Council endorses Iran nuclear deal
- 20/07/2015 Cuba and US formally restore diplomatic relations
- 19/07/2015 White house condemns Islamic State attack in Iraq
- 19/07/2015 California brush fire forces evacuation of more than 300 campers: fire officials
- 18/07/2015 Death toll of U.S. naval reserve center shooting rises to 5
- 18/07/2015 Kerry to meet Cuban FM as Havana's embassy opens in US
- 17/07/2015 Kerry: 'very, very hopeful' Iran will release detained Americans
- 17/07/2015 The Pentagon confirmed the death of four marines in Tennessee