Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
- 31/08/2015 US developing sanctions against China over cyberthefts – Washington Post
- 30/08/2015 "Erika" kills four, injures 13 in Haiti
- 28/08/2015 UN: 200 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean
- 28/08/2015 2 shot dead, 2 injured near IRS office, California
- 28/08/2015 Saudi king to visit US
- 26/08/2015 Virginia TV journalists killed in on-air shooting; suspect shoots self
- 26/08/2015 Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack
- 26/08/2015 US Hospital Monitors Woman With Ebola Symptoms
- 26/08/2015 US Ambassador to Japan Used Private Email for Official Work
- 26/08/2015 US sending F-22s to Europe
- 25/08/2015 Obama gives Joe Biden 'blessing' for 2016 bid
- 23/08/2015 Colombia urges Venezuela to reopen border
- 22/08/2015 Venezuela closes Colombia border indefinitely
- 22/08/2015 No. 2 IS leader killed in US military airstrike
- 21/08/2015 Brazilian speaker, ex-president charged for corruption
- 21/08/2015 Somali MPs set to impeach president for corruption
- 20/08/2015 Pentagon chief says Turkey should 'do more' to help international fight against Islamic State
- 20/08/2015 New Clinton emails with sensitive content identified
- 20/08/2015 Former President Jimmy Carter to be treated for brain cancer
- 20/08/2015 3 firefighters killed in Washington state wildfire
- 20/08/2015 3 Mexican marines dead in chase; 5 other people killed
- 19/08/2015 Obama Administration Plans to Sidestep Congress on Cuba Travel
- 19/08/2015 Arctic drilling not worth the risk, Clinton says
- 18/08/2015 Uruguay flooding forces 4,000 from their homes
- 16/08/2015 Official: 18 dead in truck accident in northern Haiti
- 16/08/2015 Apple building self-driving car, documents claim
- 15/08/2015 Gunmen in Brazil kill 19 in night 'massacre'
- 15/08/2015 U.S., allies hit Islamic State with 23 air strikes in Iraq: U.S.
- 14/08/2015 Kerry presides over raising of flag at U.S. embassy in Cuba
- 14/08/2015 At least 6 people killed in Mexico attack
- 14/08/2015 U.S. returns stolen 15-mln-USD Picasso painting to France
- 14/08/2015 UN chief "deeply saddened" by deadly explosions in Tianjin, China
- 13/08/2015 Top general: U.S. should consider boots on ground in Iraq
- 12/08/2015 Hillary Clinton hands over private email server to FBI
- 12/08/2015 McCain says US Senate will vote against Iran nuclear agreement
- 11/08/2015 Bus with 50 inmates crashes in Arizona; inmates, driver hurt
- 11/08/2015 UN's Ban condemns deadly terrorist attacks in Turkey
- 10/08/2015 Obama says opposition to Iran deal over politics, not merits
- 09/08/2015 Texas officer on burglary call shoots unarmed black tee
- 09/08/2015 UN peacekeeper kills 4 colleagues, commits sucide in CAR