A man arrested after LA schools threatened
Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
Related news releases
- 29.05.2016First tropical storm of year to threaten U.S. heads for South Carolina
- 28.05.2016PKK, YPG may be connected: US State Dept.
- 28.05.2016U.N. urges Syrian government to stop blocking aid deliveries
- 27.05.2016Clinton: Email controversy won't affect her White House bid
- 27.05.2016Chile police say 2 churches burned in Mapuche conflict zone
- 27.05.2016Pentagon denies U.S. special forces are fighting ISIS on front lines in Syria
- 27.05.2016Trump gets enough delegates to be US Republican nominee
- 26.05.2016Two fighter jets collide off NC coast; 4 hospitalized
- 26.05.2016Obama’s every gesture will be scrutinized in Hiroshima visit
- 26.05.2016U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises 'legitimate questions'
- 26.05.2016U.N. Security Council ends more than a decade of sanctions, arms embargo on Liberia
- 26.05.2016United States welcomes decision to release Khadija Ismayilova
- 25.05.2016Mexico City issues 6th smog alert but lifts it after rain
- 25.05.2016San Francisco retains immigrant sanctuary protections
- 25.05.2016Japan PM Abe to meet with Obama, Cameron ahead of G7 summit
- 25.05.20162 more journalists go missing in lawless area of Colombia
- 25.05.2016Ecuador vows to privatize airline to help rebuild from quake
- 25.05.2016UN's Ban decries G7 absence at humanitarian summit
- 25.05.2016John Kerry: "U.S. remains committed to facilitating a resolution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 24.05.2016U.S. says killed Taliban leader was planning attacks on Americans
- 24.05.2016Two plane crashes in Hawaii leave five dead and two injured
- 24.05.2016White US officer acquitted in death of unarmed black man
- 24.05.2016U.S. lifts arms ban on old foe Vietnam as China tensions simmer
- 24.05.2016Russia has special responsibility to push Syria to stop attacks: U.S.
- 24.05.2016North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader
- 23.05.2016U.S. stocks mostly higher amid Fed officials speech
- 22.05.2016Fidel Castro, Evo Morales discuss 'imperialist efforts' in Latin America
- 22.05.2016Obama, Iraqi PM want tighter security after Green Zone storming
- 22.05.2016Top US commander makes secret visit to Syria
- 22.05.2016Secret Service shoots man with gun outside White House
- 21.05.2016Canada's scorched oil lands have some evacuation orders lifted
- 21.05.2016Suspect shot near White House
- 21.05.2016Clinton leads presidential candidates in donations
- 21.05.2016US: Trump vows to attack Daesh, not Assad
- 20.05.2016Mexico government approves extradition of drug boss 'El Chapo' Guzman to U.S.
- 20.05.2016Kerry calls for 'robust' NATO posture near Russia
- 20.05.2016Clinton declares Trump a "threat" to US democracy
- 20.05.2016In Somalia, UN pushes for on time election
- 20.05.2016Foreign mediators seek 'national dialogue' in crisis-hit Venezuela
- 20.05.2016Canadian firefighters make progress against fire in oil sands region