A man arrested after LA schools threatened
Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
Related news releases
- 01.05.2016Man, 72, rescued 13 days after deadly Ecuador earthquake
- 01.05.2016Rescued lions roar into South Africa after flight from Peru
- 30.04.2016Kerry to travel to Geneva in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- 30.04.2016Five killed in Texas floods as severe weather lashes central U.S.
- 30.04.201680+ still missing after refugee boat sank off Libya coast: IOM
- 30.04.2016Demonstrators storm California GOP convention to protest Trump
- 30.04.2016U.N. says in principle open to helping in Iran-U.S. assets dispute
- 30.04.2016UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- 30.04.2016U.S. stands by South Korea defense talks despite China, Russia objections
- 30.04.2016U.S. strike on Afghan hospital in 2015 not a war crime: Pentagon
- 30.04.2016Twenty-four people missing after deadly garbage dump accident in Guatemala
- 30.04.2016U.S. says working with Russia to revive Syria ceasefire
- 29.04.2016U.S. military softens claims on drop in Islamic State's foreign fighters
- 29.04.2016Three tied to terror shooter deny sham-marriage plot
- 29.04.2016UN condemns attack on its compound in South Sudan
- 28.04.2016UN urges DPRK to stop any "further provocative action"
- 27.04.2016Obama open to additional troops to Syria: White House
- 27.04.2016Trump, Clinton projected major winners of US primaries
- 27.04.2016World Bank raises 2016 oil price forecast
- 27.04.2016Parties to Yemeni conflict agree agenda for Kuwait City talks — UN envoy
- 27.04.2016ornadoes and hail threaten several central U.S. states
- 27.04.2016NATO must back Turkey amid regional crisis: US lawmaker
- 26.04.2016Obama sends more Special Forces to Syria in fight against IS
- 25.04.2016Ted Cruz and John Kasich to Coordinate Against Donald Trump
- 24.04.20162 officers shot, suspect dead at Walmart in Phoenix suburb
- 24.04.2016Washington tells off Pyongyang over ‘failed’ missile test
- 23.04.2016Trump bashes Clinton, promises not to become boring
- 23.04.2016Ecuador quake death toll rises to nearly 650
- 23.04.2016John Kerry signs climate agreement with granddaughter
- 23.04.2016Five people confirmed dead in two shootings in southeastern U.S.
- 23.04.2016U.S. not against foreign banks dealing with Iran: Kerry
- 23.04.2016New aftershocks jolt Ecuador still reeling from quake
- 23.04.2016Quake toll reaches more than 600 as aftershocks spook Ecuador
- 22.04.2016U.S. buying 32 metric tons of heavy water from Iran: U.S. sources
- 22.04.2016Obama says EU membership magnifies British influence
- 22.04.2016Obama not to recognize “Armenian genocide” - ANCA
- 22.04.20166.0 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Ecuador
- 22.04.2016Ecuador earthquake death toll surpasses 580
- 22.04.2016Obama says U.S. to remain vigilant against Iran
- 22.04.2016Death toll reached 13 in explosion at petrochemical plant in Mexico