Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 20/04/2014 Dozens of people killed in Iraq bombings, clashes
- 20/04/2014 Gul expresses sorrow over death of Colombia's 'Gabo'
- 20/04/2014 13 die in fresh bout of mortar, bomb attacks in Syria
- 20/04/2014 Removal of chemicals from Syria to be completed within days - UN envoy
- 19/04/2014 Two killed, one injured in Bahrain bomb attack
- 19/04/2014 Several people killed in Turkey as bus overturns
- 19/04/2014 Violence intensifies as Syria braces for presidential vote
- 19/04/2014 South Korean ferry death toll rises to 33, 269 missing
- 19/04/2014 Foreigner dies of MERS in Saudi
- 19/04/2014 Drone risks damage at record depth in search for Malaysian plane
- 19/04/2014 10 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Homs
- 18/04/2014 Cambodian PM expresses sympathy over South Korea ferry sinking
- 18/04/2014 20 confirmed dead in Yunnan mine flood
- 18/04/2014 Several injured in prison clash in Iran
- 18/04/2014 25 confirmed dead in S. Korean ferry sinking
- 18/04/2014 15 killed, 20 injured as vans run over people in E. Pakistan
- 18/04/2014 Turkey, Malaysia ink free trade agreement
- 18/04/2014 33 killed in violent attacks in Iraq
- 18/04/2014 6.2-magnitude quake hits Balleny Islands region:USGS
- 18/04/2014 Israel frees 3 Lebanese detainees, holds two
- 17/04/2014 Suspected rebel attack kills 21 in Syria's Aleppo
- 17/04/2014 7 dead, 289 still missing in S. Korea ferry sinking
- 17/04/2014 Syrian opposition willing to participate in talks
- 17/04/2014 Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria: spokesman
- 17/04/2014 Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signaling compliance
- 16/04/2014 6 killed, 53 wounded in violent attacks across Iraq
- 16/04/2014 A ship with 350 passengers on board issues distress signal off South Korean coast
- 16/04/2014 Israeli, Palestinian negotiators to meet on Wednesday, U.S. says
- 16/04/2014 5.6-magnitude quake hits Southeast of Easter Island - USGS
- 15/04/2014 US airstrike kills woman, two children in E. Afghanistan
- 15/04/2014 11 killed in separate violent attacks across Iraq
- 15/04/2014 Malaysia jet search area too deep for submarine
- 15/04/2014 Syrian army seizes ancient Christian town near Lebanese border
- 15/04/2014 Police seize record number of illegal arms
- 15/04/2014 Israel minister warns Kerry over 'surrender' to Iran
- 13/04/2014 Eight dead, 14 hurt in fatal highway accident in S. Philippines
- 13/04/2014 Tsunami warning cancelled after earthquake hits near Solomon Islands
- 13/04/2014 15 injured after train derails in NE China
- 13/04/2014 Security forces kill 14 Taliban militants across Afghanistan
- 13/04/2014 8.3-magnitude quake hits off Kirakira, Solomon Islands