UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2016Iraqi forces clash with Islamic State near Falluja, bombard city center
- 23.05.2016Landslides kill at least 20 in SW Yemen
- 23.05.2016Bombs kill more than 140 in Syrian government-held cities
- 23.05.2016Over 100 feared killed as blasts hit Syria’s Latakia province
- 23.05.2016Iraqi PM announces start of operation to retake Falluja
- 22.05.2016Islamic State calls for attacks on the West during Ramadan in audio message
- 22.05.2016Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader Mullah Mansour
- 22.05.2016India partly repays $6.5-Bln debt to Iran for oil supplies
- 21.05.2016Islamic State threatens attacks in India
- 21.05.2016Death toll of central Pakistan road accident rises to 13
- 21.05.2016Al-Qaeda country head killed in E. Pakistan operation
- 21.05.2016India records its highest temperature ever
- 21.05.2016Hezbollah vows stronger presence in Syria after commander's death
- 21.05.201656 people killed in intensified fighting in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2016Baghdad imposes curfew after Green Zone protesters clash with police
- 20.05.2016Turkish parliament ratifies bill to lift MPs' immunity
- 20.05.2016Israeli defense minister resigns
- 19.05.2016Airbus A320 flying from Paris to Cairo ‘feared to have crashed into the sea’ - UPDATED
- 19.05.20161 killed, 5 injured as blast hits police vehicle in SW Pakistan
- 19.05.2016Bolivia police, workers clash at protest over plant shutdown
- 19.05.2016Bomb kills nine Iraqi soldiers during raid south of Baghdad
- 18.05.201616 people missing as landslide hits Sri Lanka
- 18.05.2016Iraqi forces recapturing al-Rutbah city from Daesh
- 18.05.2016Yemen gov't suspends participation in UN peace talks
- 17.05.2016Three Baghdad blasts claim 58 lives
- 17.05.20163 killed in landslides and heavy rains in Sri Lanka
- 17.05.2016U.S., Russia stalemate on Syria frustrates European powers
- 15.05.2016Syria urges UN to condemn al-Qaida massacre in Hama
- 15.05.2016North Korea seizes Russia yacht sans 'explanation'
- 14.05.2016ISIL declares state of emergency in Syria's Raqqah: US
- 14.05.2016House fire kills 5 in India
- 14.05.2016Recent processes in Syria are not in favour of terrorists - Iranian FM official
- 14.05.2016Top Hezbollah commander killed in Damascus blast
- 14.05.2016Islamic State attacks in northern Iraq kill 16, sources say
- 13.05.2016Israel kills Hezbollah military commander
- 13.05.2016Security worker dies at Australian Embassy in Baghdad
- 13.05.2016Four killed, 17 wounded in blast in southeast Turkey - UPDATED
- 12.05.2016Iranian Muslims to miss haj pilgrimage amid rift with Saudi
- 12.05.2016Suicide bomber kills eight, wounds senior army commander in Yemen attack
- 11.05.2016Islamic State bombs kill 80 in deadliest Baghdad attacks this year