UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 30.04.2016China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group: Pentagon
- 29.04.2016Policeman wounded in Saudi roadside bomb attack
- 29.04.2016Iran asks U.N. chief to intervene with U.S. after court ruling
- 29.04.2016North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labor
- 29.04.2016UN: More aid deliveries in Syria, but people still starving
- 29.04.2016North Korea test-fires two missiles, both fail: U.S.
- 29.04.20167.0-magnitude quake hits off Vanuatu
- 28.04.20162 Soldiers martyred, 10 PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey - UPDATED
- 28.04.2016Biden makes surprise trip to Iraq
- 28.04.2016Turkish forces kill 11 Daesh terrorists in southeast
- 28.04.2016Vice president Joe Biden arrives in Iraq for surprise visit
- 28.04.2016Cylinder blast kills 7 during marriage party in India
- 28.04.2016New Syria fighting leaves 12 dead despite truce
- 28.04.2016Israeli forces kill Palestinian woman and brother, armed with knives: police
- 27.04.2016Mine blast injures 2 foreign tourists, 1 interpreter in Myanmar's northern state
- 27.04.2016Turkey destroys Daesh rocket sites across Syrian border
- 26.04.2016Iraqi parliament approves partial cabinet reshuffle
- 26.04.2016After 2-month hiatus, Pakistan-India dialogue resumes
- 26.04.2016Iran summons Swiss envoy over US Supreme Court ruling
- 26.04.2016N. Korea puts mid-range missile on standby
- 26.04.2016Saudi does not expect oil price below $30 due to global demand
- 26.04.2016Kurds and Shi'ites clash in northern Iraq despite ceasefire
- 26.04.2016Iran in talks with Russia on heavy water sales
- 26.04.2016Rocket fire kills 16 people in Syria's Aleppo city
- 25.04.2016Car bomb in eastern Baghdad kills at least 11, sources say
- 25.04.2016Yemeni, UAE troops seize Qaeda-held seaport city: residents
- 24.04.2016Obama: “Deeply concerned' about surge of violence in Syria”
- 24.04.2016Third day of Yemen peace talks winds up without progress
- 24.04.2016NKorea ready to halt nuke tests if US stops SKorea exercises
- 24.04.2016Suspected extremists kill university professor in Bangladesh
- 24.04.2016At least 12 dead in two Baghdad car bomb attacks: sources
- 23.04.2016China, U.S. pledge to ratify Paris climate deal this year
- 23.04.2016U.N. says Yemen peace talks atmosphere shows progress
- 23.04.2016Twenty civilians killed in air strikes in Iraq, Syria: U.S. military
- 23.04.2016Two killed, 24 injured as market building collapses
- 23.04.2016Syrian warplane crashes in IS-held town near Damascus
- 22.04.2016Syrian peace talks limp on to next week with opposition absent
- 22.04.2016Pakistan to Make Quran compulsory in public schools
- 22.04.2016Bombings, shooting leave 8 dead, 28 wounded in, around Baghdad
- 22.04.201622 pupils injured after landslide hits China school