UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 08.10.2015Ukraine says four soldiers wounded in rebel attack despite truce
- 07.10.2015Russian warplanes in Syria destroy U.S.-trained rebels' weapons depots: commander
- 07.10.2015Iran’s Supreme Leader Bars Further Talks With U.S.
- 07.10.2015Poachers kill 14 elephants in Zimbabwe with cyanide
- 07.10.2015Maldives boat blast was attempt on president's life: minister
- 07.10.2015Pakistan rejects charges of complicity in Kunduz assault
- 06.10.2015Typhoon Mujigae kills 19 in south China
- 06.10.2015China planning to send fighter jets to Syria
- 06.10.2015Typhoon Mujigae leaves 15 dead or missing in south China
- 06.10.201513-year-old Palestinian boy shot dead in West Bank
- 05.10.2015Car bomb attacks kill 57 people in Iraq: police
- 04.10.20152 Israelis, 1 Palestinian killed after Jerusalem stabbing
- 04.10.2015Coast guards rescue 412 refugees off Turkish shores
- 04.10.2015Quake jolts southern Iran
- 04.10.2015Pakistan army chief say would not allow even a shadow of Daesh
- 03.10.2015Blasts kill 18 near holy shrines north of Iraqi capital
- 03.10.2015Japanese man shot dead in Bangladesh
- 03.10.20155.5-magnitude quake hits 15km ESE of Tondano, Indonesia
- 03.10.2015Afghan forces try to flush out Taliban in Kunduz
- 02.10.2015Taliban hold out in northern Afghan city, district in northeast falls
- 02.10.2015Jordan MP's son 'carried out Iraq suicide attack'
- 02.10.2015ISESCO chief urges Russia to immediately withdraw its forces from Syria
- 02.10.2015Seven countries make joint statement on Russia’s recent military actions in Syria
- 02.10.2015Iran troops to join Syria war, Russia bombs group trained by CIA
- 02.10.20156 US service members among 11 dead in Afghan plane crash
- 02.10.2015Afghan forces recapture city center amid fierce clashes with Taliban
- 02.10.2015U.S. military plane crashes in Afghanistan, kills 11
- 02.10.2015Normal ties between Iran and U.S. unlikely despite nuclear deal
- 02.10.2015Bahrain recalls ambassador from Iran, expels Tehran envoy
- 02.10.2015Malaysian PM issues warning on Daesh influence
- 01.10.201519 injured in S Philippines bus blast
- 01.10.2015Iran supports Russia’s airstrikes in Syria
- 01.10.2015Russian airstrikes destroy ISIL HQ in Syria
- 01.10.2015Russian aircraft sent to Syria named
- 01.10.2015Afghan gov't forces recapture Kunduz from Taliban
- 01.10.2015Pakistani leader: India, Pakistan should formalize Kashmir truce
- 01.10.2015Lavrov advises US reporters not to listen to Pentagon about Russian air strikes in Syria
- 01.10.2015Russia ready to facilitate buildup of Lebanese Army’s combat readiness
- 01.10.2015Abbas says Palestinians no longer bound by pacts with Israel
- 30.09.2015Death toll from China letter bombs rises to 7