Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 26/05/2015 Iran will need to spend most of any post-sanctions windfall at home
- 25/05/2015 Islamic State faces battle in Iraq, bombs in Syria
- 25/05/2015 Philippines seeks stronger commitment from U.S. in South China Sea dispute
- 25/05/2015 28 IS militants killed in airstrikes, clashes in western Iraq
- 25/05/2015 Hub blast targets Pakistani president’s son
- 25/05/2015 Islamic State executes 217 in, near Syria's Palmyra in 9 days: Monitor
- 24/05/2015 Iran allows private business owners to forge trade ties with US companies
- 24/05/2015 Iraqi MP: US makes plans to withdraw from the country
- 24/05/2015 Cypriot leaders tour divided city after talks
- 24/05/2015 Candidate for deputy was attacked in Turkey
- 23/05/2015 Over 150 die in heat wave in southern India
- 23/05/2015 8 killed, over 40 injured in C China bus accident
- 23/05/2015 UN official warns of growing ISIL threat in Libya
- 23/05/2015 Magnitude 6.8 quake strikes off Solomon Islands
- 23/05/2015 Proliferation talks fail over Mideast nuke plan
- 23/05/2015 IS claims Saudi Shiite mosque blast, countries condemn
- 23/05/2015 Islamic State expands its 'state'
- 22/05/2015 Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi'ite mosque, Islamic State claims attack
- 22/05/2015 IS militants seize control of last Syrian border point with Iraq
- 22/05/2015 Iran says not to give up security confidentiality for nuclear deal
- 21/05/2015 Iraq forces break oil refinery siege, liberate soldiers
- 21/05/2015 Fresh Saudi air raids leave 14 people dead in Yemen
- 21/05/2015 Islamic State seizes ancient Palmyra city from Syrian forces
- 21/05/2015 Netanyahu stresses support for 2-state solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20/05/2015 Iran's Khamenei rules out interviews with nuclear scientists
- 20/05/2015 North Korea modified submarine missile launch photos, says U.S. official
- 20/05/2015 Train rams into tractor at unmanned railroad crossing in India, killing 10 and injuring 33
- 20/05/2015 Vacuum bombs kill 20 in Syria
- 20/05/2015 China, Brazil, unveil multibillion trade, investment deals
- 20/05/2015 With nuclear deal in sight, Iran drives harder bargain in Indian trade talks
- 20/05/2015 UN Security Council condemns attack on Russia’s embassy in Damascus as terrorist act
- 20/05/2015 Western governments made strategic mistake by sanctions - Larijani
- 20/05/2015 Russia deputy foreign minister, Saudi ambassador discuss settlement of Yemeni conflict
- 20/05/2015 Rebels seize key regime base in Syria's Idlib
- 20/05/2015 Bomb outside Afghan Justice Ministry kills five, wounds dozens
- 20/05/2015 Turkey to send four-ton aid supplies to quake-hit Nepal
- 19/05/2015 5 dead, 6 unaccounted for as heavy rain lashes SW China
- 18/05/2015 Syrian insurgents battle army around military base in Idlib
- 18/05/2015 Suicide attack, gun shots kill 2, wound 7 in S. Afghanistan
- 18/05/2015 Saudi-led air strikes hit Yemen after truce expires