Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 02/04/2015 Israel reports successful test of missile-defense system
- 02/04/2015 A few meters to finish line on Iran talks, Fabius says
- 02/04/2015 3.9-magnitude earthquake hits Tibet
- 02/04/2015 Syrian opposition claims control of Jordan border gate
- 02/04/2015 Arab coalition seeks new army command in Yemen
- 01/04/2015 Iraqi forces clear remaining IS redoubts in Tikrit
- 01/04/2015 Iran nuclear talks may go beyond deadline to April 1: US diplomat
- 01/04/2015 At least 62 children killed in Yemen violence over past week
- 01/04/2015 Saudi forces and Houthi fighters exchange heavy fire on border - residents
- 31/03/2015 Iraqi forces take back Tikrit from ISIS, official says
- 31/03/2015 Japan extends sanctions on North Korea by two years
- 31/03/2015 Iran says new proposals on outstanding issues possible at Lausanne negotiations
- 31/03/2015 Coalition planes strike air defense camp in Yemen's Taizz
- 31/03/2015 Assad: Turkey supports ISIL in Syria
- 30/03/2015 Security forces continue clashes with IS militants in Iraq
- 30/03/2015 At least 4 injured in SW China earthquake
- 30/03/2015 CEC: Karimov wins Uzbek presidential election with 90.39% of votes
- 30/03/2015 Bombing continues, Arab leaders urge Yemen's Houthis to withdraw from capital
- 30/03/2015 Earthquke revised to 7.7-magnitude quake in 54km SE of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea
- 30/03/2015 Gunmen assassinate Pakistan's army officer
- 30/03/2015 30 IS militants killed in Iraqi clashes, airstrikes
- 30/03/2015 Security forces kill five militants in SW Pakistan
- 30/03/2015 Iran, powers explore nuclear compromises, Israel alarmed
- 29/03/2015 Fighting and air strikes across Yemen, dialogue remains distant
- 29/03/2015 3 killed in suicide attack in Afghan capital
- 29/03/2015 Air strikes cripple Yemen capital’s airport
- 29/03/2015 Turkey denies asking to attend Arab League summit
- 29/03/2015 5.8 magnitude quake strikes off Gorontalo, Indonesia
- 29/03/2015 Voting for presidential election begins in Uzbekistan
- 29/03/2015 Iran's Rafsanjani condemns Saudi-led airstrikes in Yemen
- 29/03/2015 Iraqi forces kill 74 Daesh militants
- 29/03/2015 Death toll in central China mine flood rises to
- 28/03/2015 Tripartite meeting on Iran’s nuclear issue held in Lausanne
- 28/03/2015 Zarif: Iran makes political decision to get into agreement with P5+1
- 28/03/2015 Dozens killed in explosions at arms depot in Yemen's Aden
- 28/03/2015 Yemeni President accuses Iran of arming Houthis
- 28/03/2015 Saudi king says Yemen campaign to continue until achieves targets
- 28/03/2015 Eight security personnel, 4 militants killed in Pakistan
- 28/03/2015 Former Yemeni President Demands for Saudi-led Coalition
- 28/03/2015 Lebanese army seize strategic border sites from militants