According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
- 29/08/2015 Turkey: 24 people injured in Mardin bomb attack
- 29/08/2015 Croatia comes out of crisis: PM
- 29/08/2015 Deadly attack in eastern Turkey
- 28/08/2015 PKK have killed 14,000 since 1984
- 28/08/2015 Turkey: PM Davutoglu unveils interim Cabinet
- 28/08/2015 NATO’s support for sovereignty and territorial integrity is strong, says secretary general
- 28/08/2015 2 French journalists held for 'attempted blackmail of Morocco king'
- 28/08/2015 Tusk says EU, Ukraine want to see early free travel
- 27/08/2015 Greece to use EU money to open refugee centres
- 27/08/2015 Dozens found dead in truck on Austrian highway
- 27/08/2015 Opening of NATO training center in Georgia to destabilize region: Russian Foreign Ministry
- 27/08/2015 NATO opens training center in Georgia
- 27/08/2015 Hungary migrant crisis escalates as police fire tear gas
- 27/08/2015 Italy, Spain, US troopers take part in Romania NATO drill
- 27/08/2015 PKK terrorists attack Turkish police; there are wounded
- 27/08/2015 First opposition member joins Turkey's interim Cabinet
- 26/08/2015 Greek president expected to call election on Friday
- 25/08/2015 At least three dead in shootout in northern France
- 25/08/2015 Hollande, Ban Ki-Moon urge efforts for reaching binding accord on Paris climate summit
- 25/08/2015 Merkel to visit protest-hit refugee home
- 25/08/2015 Number of ceasefire violations in Donbas continues to decline — OSCE
- 25/08/2015 Greece says lacks infrastructure to cope with migrant influx
- 25/08/2015 Turkish President Erdogan decides on 'renewal of parliamentary elections'
- 25/08/2015 Flood, landslides 'kill 8 people' in northeastern Turkey
- 24/08/2015 Almost 80,000 sign UK petition for Netanyahu arrest
- 24/08/2015 EU to consider suspending sanctions against Belarus next week
- 23/08/2015 Macedonia reestablishing order at border with Greece as migrants flood
- 23/08/2015 Two prisoners escape from Norway jail shortly after justice minister's visit
- 23/08/2015 Belgium calls on neighbors for more security on cross-border trains
- 23/08/2015 Thousands of migrants rush past police into Macedonia - PHOTO
- 23/08/2015 German minister condemns riots in front of asylum shelter
- 22/08/2015 7 killed in UK airshow plane crash
- 22/08/2015 41 terrorists destroyed as result of operation conducted by Turkish Armed Forces
- 22/08/2015 Clashes as Macedonia becomes latest migrant crisis flashpoint
- 22/08/2015 Three injured in shooting on Amsterdam-Paris train
- 21/08/2015 Macedonian police fire tear gas on migrants
- 21/08/2015 Iran issues diplomatic note to Turkey over PKK attacks on trucks
- 21/08/2015 NATO StratCom opens new office in Latvia
- 21/08/2015 Greek main opposition party leader says he'll try to form government
- 21/08/2015 EU welcomes France, UK cooperation over migration crisisEnglish.news.cn 2015-08-21 02:21:51