According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
- 01/07/2015 AK Party’s Yılmaz elected new Parliament speaker
- 01/07/2015 Luxembourg begins EU Council Presidency
- 01/07/2015 Greece to accept all his bailout creditors’ conditions with only a handful of minor changes - PHOTO
- 01/07/2015 Turkish foreign minister outlines border threat
- 30/06/2015 Denmark to impose controls on border, risking EU ire
- 30/06/2015 Turkey votes for new parliamentary speaker
- 30/06/2015 Pope in US to meet with homeless, prisoners and immigrants
- 30/06/2015 Turkey expresses concern over mounting pressure on Uighurs in China
- 30/06/2015 Tsipras: Greek Govt Ready to Accept Any Vote on Bailout Crisis
- 30/06/2015 Anti-bailout demonstrators rally in Greece
- 30/06/2015 Gold up on Greece instability
- 30/06/2015 Greece lacks will to compromise: Merkel
- 29/06/2015 EP leaders call for resuming Greek debt talks
- 29/06/2015 Two Uber executives taken into police custody in France
- 29/06/2015 Greece in shock as banks close, capital controls imposed, imminent default risk increases
- 29/06/2015 EU chief feels 'betrayed' by Greece
- 29/06/2015 Greece imposes capital controls, banks to remain shut
- 29/06/2015 Obama, Merkel agree effort needed to get Greece to reform and grow in euro zone
- 29/06/2015 Western officials suggest Iran tries to wiggle out of nuclear pledges
- 28/06/2015 IMF chief rules out possibility of granting delay to Greece to repay loan
- 28/06/2015 Greece to survive regardless of creditors' decisions: PM
- 27/06/2015 Eurogroup rejects bailout extension for Greece
- 27/06/2015 PM says Greece will not leave EU
- 26/06/2015 EU’s Oettinger gives Athens five days to avoid a ‘Grexit’
- 26/06/2015 Spanish population falls for third successive year
- 26/06/2015 EU treaty change would be slow, German minister warns UK's Cameron
- 26/06/2015 Switzerland steps up development efforts amid global humanitarian crisis
- 26/06/2015 French woman goes on trial for deaths of 8 of her babies
- 26/06/2015 OSCE to increase its role in pan-European architecture — Russian Foreign Ministry
- 25/06/2015 UK business leaders urge to remain in EU
- 25/06/2015 French media: US embassy in Paris is 'home to secret spy nest'
- 25/06/2015 Arrest of hundreds of peaceful protesters in Yerevan raises serious concern - ODIHR
- 25/06/2015 NATO says won't be dragged into arms race with Russia
- 25/06/2015 Eurozone' s Greece talks to continue on Thursday
- 25/06/2015 French police fined for discriminatory identity checks
- 24/06/2015 French government says spying "unacceptable between allies"
- 24/06/2015 "Normandy Quartet" confirms adherence to Minsk-2 and calls for de-escalation
- 24/06/2015 Protests close channel tunnel between England and France
- 24/06/2015 Slovakia may hold referendum to reject EC's migrant quotas
- 24/06/2015 266 migrants in Malta voluntarily repatriated since 2009