Two dead, one injured in Italian refinery blast
According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2016Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 26.05.2016Belgian police detain four on suspicion of belonging to terrorist group
- 26.05.2016PKK car bomb attack in SE Turkey martyrs 3 security men
- 25.05.2016Slovakia to take economic issues, migration as priorities during EU presidency
- 25.05.2016Sweden to start publicly funded imam training
- 24.05.2016Erdogan: No EU readmission deal without visa freedom
- 24.05.2016Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- 24.05.2016Brussels police fire water cannon at anti-austerity protest
- 24.05.2016Georgian PM: I believe Georgia to become NATO member in near future
- 24.05.2016Italy detains 57 active mafia members
- 24.05.2016Over 150 people killed in terrorist attacks in EU in 2015
- 24.05.2016Turkish, Georgian presidents discuss upcoming NATO Summit
- 24.05.2016Turkey’s PM unveils new Cabinet
- 24.05.2016Ban Ki-moon calls for intensified efforts to ensure safety of humanitarian workers
- 24.05.2016Normandy Four supports idea of OSCE police force for Donbass
- 24.05.2016Alexander Van der Bellen elected as Austrian president
- 22.05.2016Turkish president accepts resignation of PM Davutoglu
- 22.05.2016Austria to vote in run-off between far-right and independent
- 22.05.2016Turkey: Ruling AK Party to elect new chairman
- 22.05.2016Italy launches search for missing migrant boat off Sardinia
- 21.05.2016Turkish soldier martyred in southeast
- 21.05.2016Turkish sports minister’s cousin shot dead
- 21.05.2016Azerbaijan closest friend of Turkey – survey
- 21.05.2016Paris attacks suspect refuses to speak at French hearing
- 20.05.2016Erdogan praises consensus on Turkish PM candidate
- 20.05.2016France has tightened Paris airport security since attacks
- 20.05.2016French PM calls for end to labor protests marred by violence
- 20.05.2016PM Trudeau apologizes again in Parliament after elbow
- 20.05.2016ISIL suspect dies during raid in SE Turkey
- 19.05.2016EU eyes close cooperation with new Turkish govt
- 19.05.2016NATO assures Turkey of support in fight against İSİL
- 19.05.2016Missing EgyptAir plane wreckage found, Egyptian aviation officials confirm - UPDATED
- 19.05.2016Erdogan: Turkey cannot turn its back on the region
- 19.05.2016EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo crashed – Hollande
- 19.05.2016Turkey names new prime minister
- 19.05.2016French police attacked during rally against 'anti-cop hatred'
- 19.05.2016British media highlights performance of Karabakh horses at Royal Windsor Horse Show
- 18.05.2016FM insists Turkey won't revise anti-terror law
- 18.05.2016Italy, Libya discuss investment in return for migration control
- 18.05.2016For refugees stuck in Greece, no news is bad news