According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
- 26/04/2015 Portuguese president call for "inter-party compromises"
- 25/04/2015 Ahmet Davutoglu: "Let the countries that made decision against Turkey, evaluate the Khojaly genocide"
- 25/04/2015 Mevlut Cavusoglu: Armenia should open archives if it has confidence
- 25/04/2015 Turkish Deputy PM blasts Putin's remark over 1915 events
- 25/04/2015 Turkey calls Obama statement on 1915 'unilateral'
- 24/04/2015 18 migrants killed by train in Macedonia
- 24/04/2015 Italian police arrest 18 in raid against al-Qaeda-linked group
- 24/04/2015 Turkish President extends condolences to Armenians
- 24/04/2015 Hollande set to discuss UN SC draft resolution on migrants with Putin
- 24/04/2015 Senior EU, Western Balkan officials discuss regional cooperation
- 24/04/2015 EU concerns over Gosince incident in northern Macedonia
- 24/04/2015 Turkish President: "Highlight Armenians among the 30 million people who died in World War I and using against us is unacceptable"
- 24/04/2015 Erdogan: Turkey ready to open military archives over 1915 events
- 24/04/2015 Six powers have different approaches to new sanctions against Iran — source
- 23/04/2015 Explosion at Greek factory kills one person, injures another
- 23/04/2015 Turkish Prime Minister: "Some countries sowing the seeds of hatred over the events of 100 years ago"
- 23/04/2015 Turkey opens archives of 1915
- 23/04/2015 Turkey recalls envoy to Austria over 'genocide' move
- 23/04/2015 Europe not ready to grant Kiev visa-free regime due to security threats — Hollande
- 23/04/2015 Italy PM urges united EU action to tackle migrant crisis
- 22/04/2015 Turkish PM: 'No compromise with political pressure'
- 22/04/2015 Austrian parliament recognizes “Armenian genocide”
- 22/04/2015 EU Commission charges Gazprom with market abuse
- 22/04/2015 The residence is a matter of personal conflict between me and Bidzina - Giorgi Margvelashvili
- 22/04/2015 Turkish FM hails US-Turkish relations
- 22/04/2015 Britain celebrates Queen Elizabeth II 's 89th birthday
- 21/04/2015 Norway to provide 6.4 mln dollars for Mediterranean migration crisis
- 21/04/2015 Portuguese bus employees stage strike against privatization
- 21/04/2015 Poland will buy US Patriot air defense systems — Polish Defense Ministry
- 21/04/2015 Ahmet Davutoğlu: We commemorate with deep respect Ottoman Armenians who lost their lives and share in grief of their children and grandchildren
- 21/04/2015 800 dead after Sunday's Mediterranean migrant shipwreck
- 21/04/2015 Elmar Mammadyarov: "Considerable progress registered in Azerbaijan-EU bilateral cooperation"
- 21/04/2015 13-year-old student kills teacher with crossbow in Spain
- 21/04/2015 Turkey's top cleric calls Pope 'immoral' for Armenia comments
- 19/04/2015 Slovenian febrile patient cleared of Ebola suspicion
- 19/04/2015 Italy looking forward to removal of Iran sanctions
- 19/04/2015 Russia denies agreement with Greece on gas project
- 19/04/2015 Norwegian journalist arrested in Yemen to come home Sunday: report
- 18/04/2015 Gunmen attack Turkey’s Kurdish party headquarters
- 18/04/2015 Turkish PM: Three-term rule for MPs 'disputable'