According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
- 22/05/2015 Donald Tusk: "Eastern Partnership is not directed against Russia”
- 22/05/2015 Eastern Partnership program is not a tool of EU enlargement - Merkel
- 21/05/2015 The Eastern Partnership summit started in Riga
- 21/05/2015 Merkel: 'EU's Eastern Partnership not against Russia'
- 21/05/2015 OSCE Chairperson meets with Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- 21/05/2015 The Guardian: EU Eastern Partnership summit will highlight failure of plan to check Russia
- 20/05/2015 Johannes Hahn: "We have formulated a strategic partnership with Azerbaijan"
- 20/05/2015 German train drivers go on strike
- 20/05/2015 Erdogan phones Crimean Tatar leader to mark exile
- 17/05/2015 Germany train crash kills 2, injures at least 20
- 17/05/2015 German FM says EU member states need to share refugee burden
- 16/05/2015 Italy's Coast Guard rescues 2,452 migrants in the Mediterranean
- 15/05/2015 Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus' deputy PM resigns
- 14/05/2015 Senate of Spain rejects bill to recognize so-called Armenian genocide
- 14/05/2015 Erdogan urges Europe to take in more migrants
- 14/05/2015 Vatican says has agreed first treaty with State of Palestine
- 14/05/2015 Three dead, four injured in Italy's fireworks plant blast
- 13/05/2015 7 freeze to death in Turkey
- 13/05/2015 NATO foreign ministers’ meeting kicks off in Antalya
- 13/05/2015 EU mission helicopter crashes in Kosovo, one injured
- 13/05/2015 Turkish, Greek FMs want Cyprus solution in 2015
- 13/05/2015 British PM promises "different gov't" in first all-Conservative cabinet meeting
- 12/05/2015 Russian political expert: "Nagorno Karabakh will never be part of Armenia"
- 12/05/2015 Kerry meets Putin to gauge flexibility on Ukraine, Syria
- 11/05/2015 Putin, Kerry to discuss Ukraine, Syria, Iran, U.S. says
- 11/05/2015 Merkel defends staff against growing criticism in spy scandal
- 11/05/2015 Car hits Azerbaijani citizen in Georgia, driver flees
- 11/05/2015 Turkish ship attacked off Libya coast
- 10/05/2015 Airbus A400M military transporter crashes on test flight, killing four
- 10/05/2015 Turkey's 1980 military coup leader dies
- 09/05/2015 Turkey's PM 'denies plan to intervene in Syria'
- 09/05/2015 Military plane crash in Spain kills crew, forces closure of Seville airport
- 08/05/2015 Greek PM forecasts 'happy end'; Eurogroup chief cites progress in talks
- 08/05/2015 UK election: Exit poll predicts Conservative gains
- 08/05/2015 Germany's Steinmeier presses for Ukraine progress on Russia visit
- 08/05/2015 No shale gas supplies from US to Latvia expected in nearest years — Latvian minister
- 07/05/2015 Lavrov: Russia, Germany to do their utmost to prevent repetition of war
- 07/05/2015 Latvian Foreign Ministry: EU is ready to help Azerbaijan to join WTO
- 07/05/2015 Finland's new coalition government revealed
- 07/05/2015 Spain's soccer federation suspends matches from May 16