Two dead, one injured in Italian refinery blast
According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
Related news releases
- 03.05.2016Turkish parliamentary body approves MPs immunity bill
- 03.05.2016Turkey says prevented 85 security 'incidents' since January
- 03.05.2016EU executive to propose visa-free travel for Turks on Wednesday, sources say
- 02.05.2016New cross-border rocket attack kills one in SE Turkey
- 02.05.2016Eleven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 01.05.2016Clashes, arrests as protesters seek to disrupt German right-wing congress
- 01.05.2016Germany says to host fresh Ukraine talks
- 01.05.2016EU foreign policy chief condemns Iraq parliament attack
- 01.05.2016Merkel Derails Steinmeier's Bid for German Presidency
- 30.04.2016Erdogan wants defense industry to be self-sufficient
- 30.04.2016Turkey to destroy all terror strongholds: PM Davutoglu
- 30.04.2016Istanbul gunfight leaves one man dead, three injured
- 30.04.2016Turkish TV channel ‘Samanyolu’ to close
- 29.04.2016Norway helicopter crash: 11 dead, 2 still missing
- 29.04.2016Next Eurogroup meeting on Greece to take place May 9: Athens
- 29.04.2016US: San Bernardino shooter relatives taken into custody
- 29.04.2016Cameron hails cross-party anti-Brexit alliance
- 28.04.2016UN envoy 'positive' as Yemen peace talks enter second week
- 28.04.2016Police wounded, scores arrested in French labor law protests
- 28.04.2016Don't pressure Britain before EU vote, German foreign minister warns
- 28.04.2016Cavusoglu calls travel warnings against Turkey 'unfair'
- 28.04.2016Refugee crisis to cost Austria gov't 2 bln euros in 2016
- 27.04.2016Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam extradited to France
- 27.04.2016More than 800 "jihadists" arrive in Germany over past four years — Russian General Staff
- 27.04.2016Suicide blast in northwest Turkey kills one, injures 20 - UPDATED
- 27.04.2016Turkey slams ban on Crimean Tatar Mejlis
- 27.04.2016Erdogan urges West to help with refugees
- 27.04.2016Eleven shot dead in Cape Verde including two Spanish citizens
- 26.04.2016Turkey calls for inclusion in US-EU trade deal
- 26.04.2016Terrorist groups aim to isolate Turkey: Turkish PM
- 25.04.2016At least 20 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 25.04.2016Germany to build air base in Turkey for anti-IS campaign
- 25.04.2016Armenians fail to hold rally outside Turkish embassy in Tbilisi
- 25.04.2016Two killed in blast at Bulgarian weapons maker
- 25.04.2016One dead, 26 wounded as rockets hit Turkish town near Syrian border
- 24.04.2016Turkey will take all measures to stop rocket fire on border town: PM
- 24.04.2016No migrant readmission agreement without EU visa liberalization: Turkish PM
- 24.04.2016Tusk: "Turkey is best example for refugee treatment"
- 23.04.2016Thousands protest US-EU deal in Germany
- 23.04.2016Davutoglu, Merkel visit refugees in SE province