According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
- 22/12/2014 Mikheil Saakashvili to return to Georgia in 2015
- 22/12/2014 IMF completes first review of Georgia loan program, disburses funds
- 21/12/2014 Two car bombs hit southern Swedish city
- 21/12/2014 Erdogan calls on EU to respect Turkey’s judiciary
- 21/12/2014 Police disperse teachers’ protest in Ankara, detain 100
- 21/12/2014 Denmark foreign minister: sanctions likely to destabilize Russian economy extremely
- 20/12/2014 Britain sends more military personnel to help tackle Ebola in Sierra Leone
- 19/12/2014 Turkey denies links with alleged 'spies' in Germany
- 19/12/2014 Turkey to start train-equip program for Syrian opposition before March
- 19/12/2014 EU now not to impose new sanctions on Russia – Hollande
- 19/12/2014 EU ready to help if Ukraine reforms - Merkel
- 19/12/2014 Germany arrests 3 Turks on spying allegations
- 19/12/2014 Italy's president Napolitano announces retirement
- 18/12/2014 European Parliament approves EU-Georgia association deal
- 18/12/2014 EU imposes new sanctions against Crimea
- 18/12/2014 New governor appointed to Georgia’s Kvemo Kartli region, densely populated by Azerbaijanis
- 18/12/2014 Pope played crucial role in US-Cuba rapprochement
- 17/12/2014 EU close to its capacity limits to help Ukraine: Juncker
- 17/12/2014 European Parliament votes to recognize Palestine statehood 'in principle'
- 17/12/2014 Expectations from next round of P5+1-Iran talks are realistic - Ryabkov
- 17/12/2014 Iran, P5+1 wrap up 2nd day of expert-level talks in Geneva
- 17/12/2014 Ukrainian president on official visit to Poland
- 16/12/2014 30 arrested for involvement in fatal Street fight
- 16/12/2014 Merkel calls for continuing energy dialogue with Russia
- 16/12/2014 EU's Mogherini 'very surprised' at Erdogan comments on arrests
- 15/12/2014 Turkey dismisses EU criticism of police raids
- 14/12/2014 Turkish minister: Markets, not interventions, should set value of lira
- 14/12/2014 4,500 attend anti-war rally in Berlin
- 13/12/2014 French academics protest in Paris over funding
- 13/12/2014 Merkel condemns racism as Dresden anti-Islam marches grow
- 13/12/2014 Air traffic control failure disrupts flights over Britain
- 13/12/2014 Nobel winner tells US to throw books not bombs at Islamic State
- 13/12/2014 OSCE says no serious violations of east Ukraine truce registered on December 10
- 12/12/2014 Bulgaria proposes gas hub construction on its territory
- 12/12/2014 James Appathurai: This time, NATO won’t begin early cooperation with Russia, like after Georgian war
- 12/12/2014 Former CIA director defends use of rectal rehydration
- 12/12/2014 Cameron in Belfast for N Ireland deal
- 11/12/2014 Germany plans military mission against ISIL
- 11/12/2014 Ruling AKP seeks official state emblem for Turkey
- 11/12/2014 Ireland: 'Early recognition' of Palestine possible