Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
- 18/12/2014 Parliament of Kazakhstan ratifies treaty on Armenia's accession to EEU
- 18/12/2014 Belarus tightens control over online media
- 18/12/2014 Ukraine leader wants to join "Euro-Atlantic" security alliance
- 17/12/2014 Poroshenko says will present to parliament bill renouncing non-aligned status
- 17/12/2014 Armenia minibus drivers announce strike - PHOTOSESSION
- 17/12/2014 Dmitry Medvedev acknowledges negative impact of Western sanctions and oil prices fall on Russian economy
- 17/12/2014 Putin in talks by phone with Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko discusses Ukraine crisis
- 17/12/2014 Poroshenko: conflict in eastern Ukraine can be settled only on basis of Minsk agreements
- 17/12/2014 Russia to take measures to stabilize currency market
- 16/12/2014 Poroshenko best chance for Ukraine at present — Lavrov
- 16/12/2014 Russia political analyst: West will not go to a ‘third world war’
- 16/12/2014 Alexander Lukashenko: Russian market collapsed, we must expand into new markets
- 16/12/2014 Oleksandr Turchynov becomes secretary of Ukraine's NSDC
- 16/12/2014 EU foreign policy chief may visit Moscow in first months of 2015
- 16/12/2014 Russian banks start National Payment Card System tests
- 16/12/2014 Russia, North Korea plan to sign agreement on military activity prevention
- 16/12/2014 As Ukraine truce holds, Russia vows economic pain
- 16/12/2014 17-year-old Russian basketball player dies
- 15/12/2014 Medvedev: Just as Turkey, Ukraine not expected by EU either
- 15/12/2014 MP: Armenia runs toward Russia-led union like obedient schoolchild
- 15/12/2014 Mikhail Gorbachev: US needs reforms similar to those during Perestroika in the Soviet Union
- 15/12/2014 Dmitry Medvedev: Ukrainian citizens will not be able to work in Russia without labor patent
- 13/12/2014 Azerbaijan is the most important country of the region for us, Russian FM
- 13/12/2014 Ukrainian state corporation, US company sign deal on weapons supplies
- 13/12/2014 Immigration law violators to be banned from entering Russia for 10 years
- 12/12/2014 Chance emerges to ensure peace in Ukraine — Lavrov
- 12/12/2014 Armenian FM again calls Turkey ‘enemy’
- 11/12/2014 Senior UN official to visit Ukraine to assess human rights situation
- 11/12/2014 “Saxo Bank”: Russia will face default
- 11/12/2014 Minister: “Ukraine is bankrupt”
- 11/12/2014 Poroshenko urges Russia to close border between two countries
- 11/12/2014 Russian PM warns against 'hysterics' over ruble collapse
- 10/12/2014 Russia says small military mission in east Ukraine at Kiev's request
- 10/12/2014 Armenian opposition stages protest in center of Yerevan
- 10/12/2014 106,000 Azerbaijani citizens obtained labor patents in Russia in 2014
- 10/12/2014 Talks on Russian-Turkey gas pipeline project to start this month — Russian energy minister
- 10/12/2014 Explosion goes off in Odessa
- 09/12/2014 Armenian and Russian experts to agree on air defense system
- 09/12/2014 Ukraine to cancel its non-bloc status – Yatseniuk
- 09/12/2014 Ukrainian military declare ceasefire