Russia Questions IAEA on Syrian Nuclear Risks
Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2016Russian Defense Ministry summons US Embassy attache over spotted reconnaissance plane
- 24.05.2016Russia calls for 'regime of calm' in Syria's Eastern Ghouta and Daraya
- 23.05.2016Russia blasts NATO for Cold War mentality
- 23.05.2016Armenian president dismisses another general of Armed Forces
- 21.05.2016IS cell members detained in Russia’s Ingushetia
- 20.05.2016Russia proposes joint airstrikes on Syria rebels with U.S.-led coalition
- 19.05.2016Russia's FSB chief says terrorist attack may be behind EgyptAir flight crash
- 19.05.2016Gunman shot dead after taking 6 hostage in Moscow bank
- 18.05.2016Kiev refuses to pay for Russian gas sent to Donbass
- 17.05.2016Mass brawl erupts between Chechen and Dagestani wrestlers in Russia
- 15.05.2016Russia retains right to respond to U.S. missile defense deployment in Europe - ministry
- 15.05.2016Militants kill two police in Russia's Dagestan, Islamic State claims responsibility
- 14.05.2016Mass brawl occurred at cemetery, MoscowMass brawl occurred at cemetery, Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.05.2016Helicopter crashes into lake in Russia
- 14.05.2016News Feed Magnitude 4.9 earthquake registered on Dagestan-Chechnya border
- 14.05.2016Russia will act to neutralize U.S. missile shield threat: Putin
- 13.05.2016Kyrgyzstan detains former officials on suspicion of trying to seize power
- 12.05.2016Russia to ban imports of lemon from Turkey
- 12.05.2016Ukraine's auto production drops 27.5 pct
- 12.05.2016Russia says U.S. partners in Europe not threatened by Iranian missiles
- 12.05.2016Russian weapons performed well in Syria but more improvement needed: Putin
- 10.05.2016Russia, Egypt discuss resumption of direct flights
- 08.05.2016Forest fire emergency Declared in Russian Far East
- 07.05.2016Russia says truce extended for 72 hours in Aleppo, Latakia
- 07.05.2016Moscow regards preparations for US-Georgian drills as provocation
- 06.05.2016Russia's Lavrov: U.S. must give us legal guarantee over Asian anti-missile system
- 06.05.2016Terror attack in Russia thwarted - FSB
- 06.05.2016Suspect in high-profile murder of Russian journalist detained
- 06.05.2016Ohanyan: Russia does not allow Armenia to buy arms and ammunition from any other country
- 04.05.2016Armenian website director arrested for blackmailing MP
- 03.05.20165.5-magnitude quake hits 57km E of Shikotan, Russia
- 02.05.2016Number of police forces in Armenia higher than officially announced
- 02.05.2016Armenia does not pay for treatment and recreation of military servicemen
- 01.05.2016Moscow Train Station Evacuated After Bomb Threat
- 30.04.2016Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire: Russian Foreign Ministry
- 29.04.2016Armenia investigating reports on sale of humanitarian aid sent to Karabakh
- 29.04.2016Prosperous Armenia party member flees country taking party's $100mln
- 28.04.2016Russia asks UN to blacklist 2 powerful Syrian rebel groups
- 27.04.2016Procedure to extradite Ukraine's Savchenko from Russia started
- 27.04.2016Russian, Turkish foreign ministers may meet in China