Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
- 21/11/2014 Ashgabat hosting CIS Heads of Government Council meeting
- 21/11/2014 Five Ukrainian parties agree on position, sign coalition agreement
- 20/11/2014 Obama should have gotten 'Nobel War Prize' — Russian MP
- 20/11/2014 Lavrov: “World community should give rebuff to Islamic State, other extremist groups”
- 20/11/2014 Former PM of Kazakhstan under house arrest
- 19/11/2014 Fresh violence in eastern Ukraine leaves 5 dead
- 19/11/2014 Putin backs deeper ties with North Korea after meeting Kim envoy
- 19/11/2014 Ukrainian PM rules out direct talks with rebels
- 19/11/2014 Russia blasts Ukraine for payment freeze
- 19/11/2014 Russia to allocate $270m to Armenia for repair of Metsamor nuclear power plant
- 19/11/2014 Russia needs guarantees Ukraine will not join NATO – Peskov
- 19/11/2014 Opposition to hold large-scale rally in Yerevan on December 10
- 19/11/2014 Russia’s active ties with Asia not alternative to relations with West – Lavrov
- 19/11/2014 Russia, Germany need constant dialogue on Ukraine — Russia FM
- 18/11/2014 US wishes to subdue Russia, but no one will ever manage this — Putin
- 18/11/2014 Minsk, Moscow should adequately react to EU sanctions — Belarusian FM
- 18/11/2014 Isolated at G20, Putin shows he will do it his way in Ukraine
- 17/11/2014 Ukraine independent, free, sovereign state – Putin
- 16/11/2014 Police detain man with WWII mortar dummies in Moscow metro
- 16/11/2014 Russia defence ministry to airlift field hospital to Ebola-hit Guinea
- 15/11/2014 Sanctions against Russian banks to have negative impact on Germany - Putin
- 15/11/2014 Heavy casualties reported in eastern Ukraine fighting
- 15/11/2014 Ukraine plans to buy 2.5 billion cubic meters of natural gas from Russia under "winter deal"
- 15/11/2014 Putin sees G20 as beneficial format for cooperation
- 15/11/2014 Ukraine's PM says main task is to build army to stop Russia
- 14/11/2014 Russia accuses OSCE mission in Ukraine of presenting biased pictures
- 14/11/2014 CIS Executive Secretary: Ukraine's quitting CIS will primarily hit itself
- 14/11/2014 Iran, Russia to have long-term cooperation on nuclear power plants
- 13/11/2014 Dmitry Medvedev: Washington should take first step to improve Russia-US relations
- 13/11/2014 Russian bomber patrols to reach Gulf of Mexico
- 13/11/2014 Poroshenko calls for speeding up investigation into crimes against EuorMaidan protesters
- 12/11/2014 Ukraine redeploys troops, fearing new rebel offensive
- 12/11/2014 Russia to begin testing its Ebola drugs
- 11/11/2014 EU to discuss Ukraine support, Russia sanctions
- 11/11/2014 One dead, four injured in helicopter rough landing in southern Russia
- 11/11/2014 Russian, Syrian FMs to meet in Moscow
- 11/11/2014 CNN International withdraws from Russia
- 08/11/2014 Lavrov: Russia, US to try to convince Ukrainian leadership to fulfill Geneva obligations
- 08/11/2014 Russian central bank says ready to increase interventions in currency market
- 08/11/2014 Russia sees int'l Anti-Terrorism Coalition collapsed