Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
- 20/08/2014 Ukrainian troops take control of Ilovaysk city of Donetsk
- 20/08/2014 Two militants killed in Dagestan
- 19/08/2014 Putin, Lukashenko discuss preparation of Customs Union-Ukraine-EU meeting
- 19/08/2014 Ukrainian president to meet Putin, EU officials in Minsk
- 19/08/2014 Ukrainian MP calls on West to provide military aid to Ukraine
- 19/08/2014 Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev to visit Armenia
- 19/08/2014 Red Cross official heading for Moscow to discuss situation around Ukraine aid convoy
- 19/08/2014 Ukraine: Dozens of Civilians Killed in Convoy
- 18/08/2014 Man fired at Turkish Embassy in Russia, turns out to be Armenian
- 17/08/2014 Imam shot dead in North Ossetia - Interior Ministry
- 17/08/2014 OSCE says situation in Donetsk is tense
- 17/08/2014 Russian aid convoy checked; military vehicles mass near Ukraine
- 16/08/2014 Ukrainian army liberates one more city from separatists
- 16/08/2014 Hagel speaks with Russian defense minister
- 16/08/2014 Georgian chief prosecutor puts ex-president on wanted list
- 16/08/2014 Kiev says forces shelled Russian armour inside Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Food prices under control in Russia — prosecutor’s office
- 15/08/2014 Russian military vehicles do not advance deep into Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Russian military vehicles enter Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Ukrainian army captures key town near Lugansk
- 14/08/2014 Medvedev's Twitter Account Hacked, Resignation Tweet False – Press Service
- 14/08/2014 Ukraine sets conditions for Russian convoy as death toll soars
- 14/08/2014 No troop movement on Russian-Ukrainian border - OSCE observers
- 14/08/2014 Ukraine accuses Russia of cynicism over convoy; death toll rises sharply
- 13/08/2014 Russian, Belarus, Kazakh leaders discuss steps to prevent illegal food re-exports
- 13/08/2014 Risk of Ebola getting to Russia remains low
- 13/08/2014 Ukraine vows to take measures to ensure security of humanitarian convoy
- 12/08/2014 Two new submarines to be laid down for Russian Navy in October
- 12/08/2014 Russian journalist Stenin arrested in Ukraine on suspicion of aiding terrorists
- 12/08/2014 Russian humanitarian aid for Ukraine needs Kiev’s consent - White House
- 12/08/2014 Russia to start building 6 stadiums for 2018 FIFA World Cup in August-September
- 12/08/2014 Russian ministry warns about chemical threat as Ukraine plant shelled
- 12/08/2014 Ukrainian, EU leaders discuss situation in Ukraine's east over phone
- 11/08/2014 Putin, al-Sisi to discuss Russia-Egypt economic cooperation, international issues
- 11/08/2014 Putin: Russia to dispatch relief aid to eastern Ukraine
- 11/08/2014 Poroshenko declares readiness for international discussion on Donbas settlement
- 10/08/2014 Firefighters extinguish fire at Ufa oil refinery - EMERCOM
- 10/08/2014 Ukrainian rebels say they ready for ceasefire
- 09/08/2014 Russian and Armenian Presidents meet
- 09/08/2014 Australia May Stop Uranium Exports to Russia