Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
- 06/03/2015 During Israel visit, Armenian FM received by president, no other officials
- 06/03/2015 Armenia should participate in Baku 2015 European Games – Sports Minister
- 06/03/2015 Ukrainian lawyer to lead CoE anti-torture Committee
- 06/03/2015 No military solution to Ukraine crisis: Mogherini
- 05/03/2015 EU extends sanctions against Ukraine’s ex-president Yanukovych, his circle
- 05/03/2015 Russia: Nadezhda Savchenko agrees to partially stop hunger-strike
- 05/03/2015 Lukashevich: US-NATO joint drills in Black Sea may entail grave consequences
- 05/03/2015 US airborne personnel arrive in Ukraine – Russian MFA
- 05/03/2015 Russian military base in Armenia involved in large-scale exercises
- 05/03/2015 Russian serviceman who killed 7 members of Armenian family to undergo forensic psychiatric examination
- 05/03/2015 Ukraine mourning for coal mine blast victims
- 04/03/2015 Ukraine mine blast 'kills 32'
- 04/03/2015 Putin calls Boris Nemtsov’s death ‘shameful tragedy’
- 04/03/2015 Unverified info on Nemtsov murder probe hinders investigation — Investigative Committee
- 03/03/2015 EU, Russia agreed to resume trilateral negotiations on EU-Ukraine association agreement
- 03/03/2015 Russia and Belarus close to creating common innovational space
- 03/03/2015 Boris Nemtsov buried
- 03/03/2015 Mourners pay last respects to Russian politician Boris Nemtsov - PHOTOSESSION
- 03/03/2015 Nemtsov to be buried in Moscow
- 03/03/2015 Ukraine death toll tops 6,000 amid fighting: UN
- 02/03/2015 Ukrainian soldier killed in clashes amid shaky truce
- 02/03/2015 Lavrov notes progress in talks on Iran nuclear program
- 02/03/2015 Uzbek TV host murdered
- 02/03/2015 Ukrainian model Anna Duritskaya reveals details of Boris Nemtsov’s death
- 02/03/2015 Ter-Petrosyan: Pan-Armenian declaration on genocide will bring about grave consequences for Armenia
- 02/03/2015 Some of cameras in area, where Nemtsov was killed, turned off before incident
- 01/03/2015 TVC published video since the murder of Nemtsov - VİDEO
- 01/03/2015 Pakistan arrests Iranian Sunni rebel leader on bus from border
- 28/02/2015 Putin pledges to make every effort to bring Nemtsov's killers to justice
- 28/02/2015 Russia’s Investigative Committee announces main versions regarding Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 28/02/2015 Ex-deputy of the Party of Regions Mikhail Chechetov commits suicide
- 28/02/2015 Russian President’s spokesman: “Boris Nemtsov’s murder is provocation”
- 28/02/2015 Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko reportedly dies
- 28/02/2015 Ukraine leader says troop deaths 'serious breach' of truce
- 28/02/2015 Russian politician Boris Nemtsov killed in Moscow - UPDATED - PHOTO
- 28/02/2015 Ukraine says gas dispute with Russia not to harm transit to Europe
- 27/02/2015 Barbiturate detected in blood of Kazakh president’s former son-in-law
- 27/02/2015 Sergei Lavrov: Washington fails 'to slap together' global anti-Russian coalition
- 27/02/2015 Kazakhstan's border guards detain 4 Azerbaijani citizens engaged in illegal fishing in Caspian Sea
- 26/02/2015 Ukraine begins pulling back heavy weaponry from contact line