Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
- 25/07/2014 Ukrainian troops enter Lysychansk
- 25/07/2014 Deputy Prime Minister Groysman Picked as Acting Ukrainian PM - Minister Avakov
- 24/07/2014 Arseniy Yatsenyuk resigns from post of Ukrainian prime minister
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine says Azerbaijanis also among separatists
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine crisis puts Britain's Cameron on spot over Russian donations
- 23/07/2014 Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory
- 23/07/2014 Kiev to introduce sanctions against Russian officials, companies — Yatsenyuk
- 23/07/2014 Tel Aviv-bound Russian Transaero plane U-turns, goes back to Moscow
- 22/07/2014 EU Council not approve new sanctions on Russia — EU foreign policy chief
- 22/07/2014 Putin: “We will adequately and coherently respond to the approach of NATO to our borders”
- 22/07/2014 Verkhovna Rada approves Poroshenko's partial mobilization decree
- 22/07/2014 Rebels release train with bodies from downed jet
- 22/07/2014 Ukraine rebels hand black boxes from downed plane to Malaysia experts
- 21/07/2014 Ukrainian troops take control of three settlements in Donetsk region
- 20/07/2014 Ukraine, rebels argue over wreck; Europeans give Putin 'last chance'
- 20/07/2014 Tajikistan, Turkmenistan to sign deal on cross-border railway
- 20/07/2014 250 civilian persons killed in Lugansk Region of Ukraine since beginning of summer - OSCE
- 19/07/2014 Ukraine says Russia helping destroy crash evidence
- 19/07/2014 One should not tell Russia what to do; it is necessary to sit down to talks – Lavrov
- 19/07/2014 Neither Buk nor other weaponry crossed Russian border into Ukraine - spokesman
- 18/07/2014 World leaders demand answers after airliner downed over Ukraine with 298 dead
- 18/07/2014 Boeing-777 shot down by separatists in east Ukraine – US intelligence
- 18/07/2014 Malaysia Airlines MH17 victims identified
- 18/07/2014 Armenian Karabakh war veteran sentenced to six years in jail
- 18/07/2014 121 people found dead at Malaysian airliner crash site - Ukraine emergencies service - PHOTOSESSION
- 18/07/2014 Crash claims top AIDS researchers heading to Melbourne
- 18/07/2014 Ukraine responsible for investigation into Malaysian jet crash - IAC
- 18/07/2014 Malaysia to work with Russia, Ukraine governments on MH17
- 18/07/2014 Aeroflot cancels several flights to Ukrainian cities
- 18/07/2014 Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 US citizens and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
- 17/07/2014 Rosaviatsia: Ukraine closed airspace in east to commercial flights 3 days ago
- 17/07/2014 Ukraine says rebels shoot down Malaysian airliner, 295 dead
- 17/07/2014 Both sides in Ukraine deny shooting down plane
- 17/07/2014 Moscow court sentences main sponsor of separatist regime in Nagorno Karabakh Levon Ayrapetyan to two months imprisonment - PHOTO
- 17/07/2014 200 Ukraine servicemen killed in Izvarino
- 17/07/2014 International Bank of Azerbaijan assets jump by 25%
- 17/07/2014 Ukrainian journalist: “Ukrainian military plane was shot down by Russian plane”
- 17/07/2014 Russia to respond to latest U.S. sanctions
- 17/07/2014 Russia set to reopen Soviet-era spy post on Cuba - source