Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
- 09/12/2013 Ukrainian soldiers begin dismantling tent camp of protesters outside Cabinet of Ministers
- 09/12/2013 Barroso: “EU has right and duty to stand by people of Ukraine”
- 09/12/2013 Ukrainian President gives consent to dialogue with opposition
- 09/12/2013 Vitali Klitschko calls people to urgently come to square in Kiev
- 09/12/2013 Extra internal troops and Berkut riot police officers deployed in Kiev, opposition waits for attack
- 09/12/2013 US Assistant Secretary of State and EU High Representative to visit Ukraine tomorrow
- 09/12/2013 Employees of Ukrainian Cabinet of Ministers fail to enter government building
- 08/12/2013 Ukraine opposition to convene people’s assembly in Kiev
- 08/12/2013 Opposition rally in support of European integration held in Ukraine’s Lvov
- 08/12/2013 Ukraine’s ruling party calls on opposition for dialogue
- 08/12/2013 Communist Lawmaker Attacked in Moscow Restaurant
- 07/12/2013 Saakashvili speaks at Independence Square in Kiev
- 07/12/2013 Russia and Ukraine prepare roadmap for restoring full-fledged cooperation, Azarov says
- 07/12/2013 Protests Reach Crunch Stage in Ukraine As Russia Deal Looms
- 07/12/2013 Source in Ukrainian government: Ukrainian and Russian presidents have not signed any document
- 07/12/2013 Ukrainian opposition wants to know what agreements Yanukovych reached with Putin in Sochi
- 07/12/2013 No Russia-Ukraine customs deal - Putin spokesman
- 07/12/2013 British journalist: “Putin and Yanukovych reached an agreement on Ukraine’s joining the Customs Union”
- 07/12/2013 Medvedev not to resign, denies pressure on Ukraine over EU deal
- 07/12/2013 Ukraine, Russia presidents meet; protests persist
- 06/12/2013 Yanukovich going to Russia, agency says, as Ukraine protesters defy police
- 06/12/2013 Ali Abbasov: “More than 1.25 million Azerbaijanis are using Facebook
- 06/12/2013 Ruslana: “I’ll burn myself if no changes are made in Ukraine” - PHOTO
- 06/12/2013 5 Suspected Militants Killed in Dagestan
- 06/12/2013 Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office calls Interior Minister for questioning over Euromaidan dispersal
- 06/12/2013 Russia Criticizes EU Reaction to Ukraine's Suspending EU Deals
- 06/12/2013 Ukrainian police put leader of radical Bratstvo organization on its wanted list
- 05/12/2013 Sweden's Spying on Russia Key to US - Report
- 05/12/2013 Kiev Police Give Protesters 5 Days to Leave State Buildings
- 05/12/2013 Russian Consulate says no data from US attorneys on claims against Russian diplomats
- 05/12/2013 Five gunmen killed in special operation in Russia’s Dagestan
- 05/12/2013 Termless protests continue in Kiev - PHOTOSESSION
- 05/12/2013 On Kiev's streets, anti-government protesters see long game ahead
- 04/12/2013 Russia, Ukraine to strengthen cooperation: Russian PM
- 04/12/2013 Ukrainian opposition deputies block parliamentary session
- 04/12/2013 Entries of presidential palace and government building in Kiev under opposition control
- 04/12/2013 Putin, Saudi Prince Bandar discuss Syria, Iran
- 04/12/2013 Ukraine’s Odessa residents do not share protest moods
- 04/12/2013 Lavrov to attend Russia-NATO Council ministerial meeting
- 04/12/2013 US Snubs Ukraine for Moldova Amid EU Row