Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
- 23/05/2015 Commander of “Ghost” brigade (LPR Army) Aleksey Mozgovoy was assassinated
- 22/05/2015 Agreement on EUR 1.8 bln macro-financial aid to Ukraine signed in Riga
- 22/05/2015 Serbia not to impose sanctions on Russia, Serbian president says
- 21/05/2015 Russia ready to help Iraq defeat Islamic State: Lavrov
- 21/05/2015 Kyrgyz president signs ratification to join Eurasian Economic Union
- 21/05/2015 3 dead, nearly 20 injured in bus crash in Russia
- 21/05/2015 Ukraine to halt military-technical cooperation with Russia
- 21/05/2015 Russia ready for win-win cooperation with West: Lavrov
- 20/05/2015 Russia promises response to US missile defense systems in Ukraine
- 20/05/2015 Russia Claims No 'Post-Soviet Monopoly' - Lavrov - PHOTO
- 20/05/2015 US, NATO’s growing offensive power near Russia creates threats - official
- 19/05/2015 OSCE chief monitor says situation around Ukraine's Shirokino will be settled within days
- 19/05/2015 Ukraine says it will prosecute captured Russian soldiers for terrorist acts
- 18/05/2015 Armenian MP: Syunik provincial governor is drug addict
- 15/05/2015 Yatsenyuk, Nuland discuss cooperation in returning ex-officials’ money back to Ukraine
- 14/05/2015 Ukraine objects to further delay of trade deal with EU
- 14/05/2015 Ukraine's interior minister may be dismissed
- 13/05/2015 Andrei Kazantsev: “The United States understood that Russia can't be ignored on important issues” - OPINION
- 12/05/2015 Putin-Kerry meeting underway in Sochi
- 12/05/2015 Lavrov, Kerry meet in Sochi
- 12/05/2015 Agenda for Putin-Kerry meeting is broad – Kremlin
- 11/05/2015 Russian president, US secretary of state to meet in Sochi tomorrow
- 08/05/2015 Lukashenko: If Ukraine quits CIS, it will be difficult to return
- 08/05/2015 Former Russian Defense Ministry’s official sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 08/05/2015 US refuses to grant visa to Robert Kocharian's son and his wife
- 08/05/2015 Ukraine's Poroshenko slams 'appeasement' of Moscow
- 07/05/2015 Putin meets with Raul Castro, hails Russian-Cuban ties
- 07/05/2015 President: Belarus ready to do its utmost for peace in Ukraine
- 07/05/2015 Cuba's Castro starts Russian visit ahead of WWII parade
- 07/05/2015 5 Ukrainian troops killed as cease-fire teeters on brink
- 06/05/2015 Russian FM’s visit to Turkey for May 16 postponed
- 06/05/2015 IL-76 aircraft evacuating Ukrainians from Nepal to land in Baku
- 06/05/2015 Slovenia, Russia vow to continue trade cooperation despite tough sanctions
- 04/05/2015 So-called South Ossetian parliament speaker hosted by Armenian National Assembly chairman
- 04/05/2015 Donbass war set to flare up again
- 01/05/2015 Poroshenko: the war in Ukraine will over when Donbass in back in Ukraine
- 01/05/2015 4 killed in fresh clashes in E. Ukraine
- 30/04/2015 Ukrainian environmentalists call to abandon use of nuclear plants
- 29/04/2015 Lukashenko: Peace to come with US joining settlement of Ukraine crisis
- 29/04/2015 Yatsenyuk: not enough equipment for effort to put out fire near Chernobyl NPP