Baku-APA. Russia has handed over an official request to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to analyze potential nuclear risks of a US airstrike on Syria, a Russian diplomat said Thursday, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow would raise the issue at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors on Monday.
Russia’s permanent envoy to international bodies in Vienna, Vladimir Voronkov, said he had handed over an official letter to IAEA director general Yukia Amano.
“We request the agency to immediately react to the current situation and provide member states with an analysis of risks, related to potential US strikes on a neutron reactor and other objects in Syria,” he said, adding that similar letters were sent to Vienna envoys of other IAEA member states.
A day before, the Russian Foreign Ministry urged the IAEA secretariat to urgently evaluate nuclear risks of a US strike on the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus and other nuclear objects in Syria.
Western intervention in Syria could jeopardize the region’s nuclear security, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any damage caused to a neutron reactor near Damascus would have disastrous consequences.
The IAEA told RIA Novosti that it would consider Russia’s risk-analysis initiative as soon as an official request arrives. On Thursday, a diplomatic source in Vienna told RIA that Moscow would soon send an official request to the agency.
The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted on Wednesday to give President Barack Obama the authority to use military force against the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack last month.
A US intelligence report claims that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack near Damascus on August 21 that Washington says left more than a thousand civilians dead.
The UN Security Council has so far not authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Russia has urged all sides in the conflict to use diplomatic means to resolve it.
- 07/05/2015 5 Ukrainian troops killed as cease-fire teeters on brink
- 06/05/2015 Russian FM’s visit to Turkey for May 16 postponed
- 06/05/2015 IL-76 aircraft evacuating Ukrainians from Nepal to land in Baku
- 06/05/2015 Slovenia, Russia vow to continue trade cooperation despite tough sanctions
- 04/05/2015 So-called South Ossetian parliament speaker hosted by Armenian National Assembly chairman
- 04/05/2015 Donbass war set to flare up again
- 01/05/2015 Poroshenko: the war in Ukraine will over when Donbass in back in Ukraine
- 01/05/2015 4 killed in fresh clashes in E. Ukraine
- 30/04/2015 Ukrainian environmentalists call to abandon use of nuclear plants
- 29/04/2015 Lukashenko: Peace to come with US joining settlement of Ukraine crisis
- 29/04/2015 Yatsenyuk: not enough equipment for effort to put out fire near Chernobyl NPP
- 28/04/2015 Serzh Sargsyan: Armenians soldiers think that they are being fired from Russian-made weapons
- 27/04/2015 Russian economy doing well despite Western sanctions: Putin
- 27/04/2015 Bus goes off road in Russia, casualties reported
- 24/04/2015 US ‘masterminds’ all present-day military conflicts – Russian General Staff
- 24/04/2015 Eurovision 2015 representatives to perform at Moscow concert today
- 24/04/2015 Vladimir Putin arrives in Yerevan to attend events dedicated to the fictional “Armenian Genocide”
- 24/04/2015 Russia set to coordinate efforts for peace settlement in Syria with UN — Foreign Ministry
- 24/04/2015 Russian Interior Ministry says Chechen leader's words on "shooting to kill" inadmissible
- 23/04/2015 Ukrainian president wants referendum on NATO membership
- 23/04/2015 Main suspect in Nemtsov murder case claims having alibi
- 23/04/2015 Abkhazia ‘part of Georgia’ – Lukashenko
- 23/04/2015 More than 40 injured in Moscow hostel fire
- 22/04/2015 Russia sees IS as main enemy: FM
- 22/04/2015 Putin discusses with Erdogan his scheduled visit to Yerevan over 100th anniversary of ‘Armenian genocide’
- 22/04/2015 FM: Russia ready for security cooperation with US
- 22/04/2015 IS our main enemy today – Russian FM
- 22/04/2015 Russian UN ambassador: Russia to continue efforts to promote intra-Syrian dialogue
- 22/04/2015 Lavrov: Russia interested in soonest lifting of anti-Iranian sanctions
- 21/04/2015 Gazprom ready to build pipeline from Turkish Stream through Greece as part of consortium
- 21/04/2015 Moscow ready to resume dialogue with US if it is initiated by Washington — Kremlin
- 21/04/2015 Turkish consulate car catches fire in Kharkiv
- 21/04/2015 UN: Number of immigrants from Ukraine reached 800 961 people
- 20/04/2015 Putin’s Yerevan visit not to harm ties with Turkey – Kremlin
- 20/04/2015 Putin: Westerners only love Russia that would need humanitarian aid
- 20/04/2015 North Caucasus terrorist leaders killed in special operation in Dagestan
- 20/04/2015 Putin to visit Armenia on April 24
- 20/04/2015 Details emerge of disappearance of Russian city mayor
- 20/04/2015 Fires hit Khakassia again
- 20/04/2015 Moscow mayor’s office turns down Armenian request for protest outside Turkish embassy